Clearcoat a NOS frame?

Retro Dude

Before I build this up I was thinking that I'd clearcoat the frame to add some protection. Has anyone done this before? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Attachments

• P9250143.JPG
    P9250143.JPG
    248.6 KB · Views: 16

nader

wow! is it really a NOS frame? the original frame but would have clearcoat, so why again?

Retro Dude

Yes, it's NOS. Pulled it out of the basement of lbs.

It is painted (Harlequin Metallica), just thought a little extra protection wouldn't hurt.

theredchili

Yes, it's NOS. Pulled it out of the basement of lbs.

It is painted (Harlequin Metallica), just thought a little extra protection wouldn't hurt.

Would love to see some better pictures of it, would you risk damaging the paintwork by adding the clear coat ? I would consider that first

tvcreative

they come with pretty substantial clearcoat to begin with...as long as the current coat isn't to nicked up from the shop, I would ride it and put some scratches on it the old fashioned way.

....otherwise you never know whether or not you can provide enough tooth on the current clear coat to let another clearcoat from a different paint manufacturer stick properly.

The last thing you want is a crappy clear coat flaking off because of some paint interaction issue...

Finally - if you do it - it would not be original, and potentially not as valuable.

build it - ride it - smile a lot. Rinse and Repeat as necessary.

theredchili

they come with pretty substantial clearcoat to begin with...as long as the current coat isn't to nicked up from the shop, I would ride it and put some scratches on it the old fashioned way.

....otherwise you never know whether or not you can provide enough tooth on the current clear coat to let another clearcoat from a different paint manufacturer stick properly.

The last thing you want is a crappy clear coat flaking off because of some paint interaction issue...

Finally - if you do it - it would not be original, and potentially not as valuable.

build it - ride it - smile a lot. Rinse and Repeat as necessary.

Too true, thats what i was getting at with possibly damage it, if thte newly applied clear coat were to peel off in time, would potentially spoil it

Retro Dude

Thanks, I didn't think about the peeling issue.

I'll just touch up the nicks & build it up.

I have all the parts, just need to get the seatpost clamp squared away.

Redchili - I'll put an album together tonight with pics of the frame.

smittylube

You can always use that clear shield stuff they use on cars. I used it on my carbon bike on the front of the down tube.