independent fabrication deluxe 98

sneb

well, this is my very first post here. what a nice forum, guys! i want to show you my if deluxe 19". i built it like this 2 years ago

http://www.fatcogs.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=46&pictureid=343
http://www.fatcogs.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=46&pictureid=344
http://www.fatcogs.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=46&pictureid=346
http://www.fatcogs.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=46&pictureid=348

since then i switched to a 18" beauty, which i ride rigid too. i need to take pictures of it soon, but it's always dirty :)

cheers from germany
sneb

ps:

http://www.fatcogs.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=47&pictureid=350

Last edited:

Syborg

welcome on FatCogs sneb. I love your Independent bikes :thup:
Also your avatar is really coooool!!!

Greetings Helmut

sneb

thanks for the warm welcome,

the forks i ride on the 18" is a 410mm triple butted kona p2. i wonder how it would run with a bit less rake, but on the other hand, i'm very happy with it since 2 years.
the chain thing at the 19" was a paul chain keeper. never ride it without shorts! long trousers destroy such a thing within a week.

+ fresh pic of the 18", my best ride ever

cheers
sneb

Attachments

• IMG_7057.jpg
    IMG_7057.jpg
    587.6 KB · Views: 69

Syborg

I've also done it again. But I have also found a Shock-a-Billy

picture.php

I wish you a Happy New Year sneb

Greetings Helmut

sneb

thank you helmut! happy new year to you too.
is yours the 18" 98er i saw at ebay.co.uk a few weeks ago? did you pick up the igleheart forks too? congrats!

cheers
:sneb

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Syborg

yes this is the frameset that was recently on ebay. The Igleheart fork is included. I've already bought several bikes from this guy

Greetings Helmut

sneb

:santa: for me it was the first time i dealed with him. mine is the single speed deluxe he offered at the same time. :)

Zamfir

Nifty IF's!

A quick question for those that have owned or just ridden a IF, do they ride as good as they look? Construction looks top notch and I really like the provenance and paint schemes, to me they look like a modern FC?

I ask is because a bike shop friend called yesterday about a SS Deluxe that turned up at his shop for sale. It has been ridden, canti mount only, my size, and very affordable.

Seriously considering picking it up.....

tvcreative

I have owned a few SS deluxes

if you can get for cheap it's worth it....

very soft tubes, they dent easily...not as durable as an OLD YO or Wicked.

suspension corrected is nice to get you more upright.

Make sure to get a chain tensioner on drop out. Rear wheels tend to creep forward under torque if its a track style drop out

sneb

Nifty IF's!

... do they ride as good as they look?

they do! if you can get one for cheap, i wouldn't wait much longer.

to compare it with a fc yo, let's go for a m/l sized fat yo and an traditional 18" if. both share a 23,3" tt, but the chainstays at the if are a bit shorter (16,75<16,875), the headtube is .5° steeper with 71,5°, seattube on both is 72°. fat said that forkrake is 1.5". the if comes with 39mm (+1mm). the wheelbase of the if is .3" shorter in sum.
what i like more than all this 0.x-stuff is the 1 1/8" dia tt that the 18" if has (19" came with 1 1/4 as every yo did). i love this change!! it looks more elegant, organic, "steely", whatever, than the larger diameter on smaller yo frames. it's a question of personal taste, of couse.
the headtube is 7mm longer (than yo's 100mm), what could be of interest, if you're older than 23 :)

it's true unfortunatelly, you don't need a hammer to catch a ding or dent, especially on the dt. that seems to be the price for the weight issue.

seattube inserts are equal to yo (nice!!!), the downtube gusset is flat, not folded. it don't have this joint between the top of the seatstays. and it is not of the stiffness of a yo. but far away from being soft. i hope this helps.

cheers

sneb

Nifty IF's!

... do they ride as good as they look?

they do! if you can get one for cheap, i wouldn't wait much longer.

to compare it with a fc yo, let's go for a m/l sized fat yo and an traditional 18" if. both share a 23,3" tt, but the chainstays at the if are a bit shorter (16,75<16,875), the headtube is .5° steeper with 71,5°, seattube on both is 72°. fat said that forkrake is 1.5". the if comes with 39mm (+1mm). the wheelbase of the if is .3" shorter in sum.

what i like more than all this 0.x-stuff is the 1 1/8" dia tt that the 18" if has (19" came with 1 1/4 as every yo-size did). also the seatstays are smaller (16.2mm (5/8"?) to yo's 3/4"). and i love this change!! it looks elegant, organic, "steely", whatever. it's a question of personal taste, of course. if i'm right, it shares these differences with the bro eddy.
the headtube is 7mm longer (than yo's 100mm), what could be of interest, if you're older than 23 :)

it's true unfortunatelly, you don't need a hammer to catch a ding or dent, especially on the dt. that seems to be the price for the weight issue.

seattube inserts are equal to yo's (nice!), the downtube gusset is flat, not folded. it doesn't have this joint between the top of the seatstays. and it is not of the stiffness of a yo, but far away from being soft. i hope this helps and i didn't screwed up the inch<->mm stuff too much.

cheers

Zamfir

Thanks to everybody for the most helpful information, it was really what I needed to make up my mind. Yes i got the frame!

I will post pictures on a separate thread with lots of questions and advice.

Cheers!
Zam

sneb

update

i picked up the blue one last winter. i completed it with a fresh thomson seattube plus stem, a white brothers ti rizer, some paul's brake levers, a silver 90ies phil front hub, and a new black kiss off hub rear. brakes are avid sl, rims mavic 217 ceramic 32° rear and 117 36° front. the crank is a simple shimano xt fc-m730 with a t.a. specialites chainring and (unfortunately) crappy dx pedals, that i will change as soon as i will find a good pair. the bottom bracket is a 118mm shimano lx. i see no reason to upgrade it right now.
i ride it 39/16 and was able to go up to the only hill in my place yesterday.
to be honest, i needed to get used to the babyblue and also the flames, but since the build is done, and i can do more with it than look at, i felt in something like love with it :)

Attachments

• 2ifsatthegreen.JPG
    2ifsatthegreen.JPG
    456.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited: