has anybody ridden a Ritchey P series?

colker

HOw does it compare to a wicked? I am itching to get one and would like to know what i am getting into.

mainlyfats

HOw does it compare to a wicked? I am itching to get one and would like to know what i am getting into.

I don't have tons of saddle time on a P series, but a few things come to mind.

First, Ritcheys always feel shorter than the size so, for me, I miss the stretch and am always back over the saddle unless I size up. Stand-over gets compromised.

Second, Wickeds have that seated climbing thing - I think it's a function of the seat tube angle and chainstays - that makes you feel like you're doing something when you transition from seated to standing (like activating your core). The Ritchey doesn't have that, it's more fluid.

Third, all P series complete bikes were lighter than all but the most tricked out Wickeds. Not a big thing, but a thing.

Fourth, I'm tall, probably a little overweight and can't spin for sh!t, so the P-20 with WCS stuff I rode for a day was all wrong, way too flexy. You could slightly ovalise the top tube between your thumb and index finger. If I were in the market, I'd be looking at a P-23/P-22.

(but the only vintage bike I'm actually lusting after these days is a Santana Moda)

Matt

IF52

I don't have tons of saddle time on a P series, but a few things come to mind.

First, Ritcheys always feel shorter than the size so, for me, I miss the stretch and am always back over the saddle unless I size up. Stand-over gets compromised.

Matt

Yeah, I feel the same way. I so badly wanted a Ritchey back in the late 80s, and working for a dealer would have made it much easier to afford one, but once I had a little bit of time on one they just felt so short.

colker

I kinda miss that fluid thing i have on the road bike and mainly fats described very well.. I am riding now in open spaces. Although technical sometimes it's mostly about distance. The wicked is awesome on technical steep woods riding. It's very nice out here but i thought of trying something completely different.

Last edited:

mainlyfats

Again, in my experience, the people who really loved their P-series bikes tend to be average-sized or smaller, lighter than average weigh, all-heart-and-lung types with fantastic bike handling skills. It's much more finesse-styled geometry.

The Fat is far more forgiving of you being tired, a pedal masher or someone who wipes out. As you note, if you can't keep up on an uphill, chances are you could make up it going down on the Fat. Try doing that on a P-series with a tiller stem and roadish angles and you'll be in the bushes with a dented frame.

colker

Again, in my experience, the people who really loved their P-series bikes tend to be average-sized or smaller, lighter than average weigh, all-heart-and-lung types with fantastic bike handling skills. It's much more finesse-styled geometry.

The Fat is far more forgiving of you being tired, a pedal masher or someone who wipes out. As you note, if you can't keep up on an uphill, chances are you could make up it going down on the Fat. Try doing that on a P-series with a tiller stem and roadish angles and you'll be in the bushes with a dented frame.

angles on the later P bikes were 74/71.5. That with a 140 stem spells e.n.d.o... but i am stubborn and want to try.
The wicked let me do things i couldn't get away that easy w/ my other bikes. Drops for example. the slower front is so forgiving; the angle is 71º but it feels much more stable than other 71º bikes.
otoh, when the ride is on boring roads.. it just feels utilitarian, no thrills.

tvcreative

P21

I have a WCS P21...

the ride is good, the bottom bracket is lower 11.5 inches, very stable. Top tube is more horizontal. I have had to find a jerk stem (more trajectory upward) to get the right riding position. P21 LOGIC tubes are super soft. Easy to dent. Very light, a little flexy but it hauls ass...and is very predictable. Fairly easy to warp/overtighten the seatpost clamping area.

If you can find one, and you have the cash, i would say it's hard to go wrong...

colker

I have a WCS P21...

the ride is good, the bottom bracket is lower 11.5 inches, very stable. Top tube is more horizontal. I have had to find a jerk stem (more trajectory upward) to get the right riding position. P21 LOGIC tubes are super soft. Easy to dent. Very light, a little flexy but it hauls ass...and is very predictable. Fairly easy to warp/overtighten the seatpost clamping area.

If you can find one, and you have the cash, i would say it's hard to go wrong...

They are not that expensive these days. At least on my size, 18 or 19in... Yo Eddys are WAY more expensive than a later, 95/97 Ritchey Comp 23.

lewisfoto

This is an old thread but it may be that I am the very person that the OP was searching for because my two main bicycles are a '91 Wicked and a '93 P-21. The Fat Chance is a solid performer on all fronts very stable with "point it where you want to go" handling. The Ritchey however is a true racing machine it is so light that it climbs like no other bike I have ridden. The handling is very quick even touchy. At first transitioning from the Wicked to the Ritchey I nearly got thrown twice by putting too much weight on the front wheel. moving the seat back one cm fixed this. Bottom line? I prefer the Ritchey because I like to climb, but still ride both bikes.

Oh yeah, for reference I ride SoCal trails.