Idea for something...

45Ronin

retrobike.uk only other option?

Since recently joining fatcogs, I've had to "start from scratch" on acquiring a bike, and parts to bolt up to it. Besides the ubiquitous CL or Ebay, the only other viable option for parts trading/selling/buying is retrobike.uk. No offense, but the format for finding stuff blows. Scrolling through a 2-3 page thread is about as fun as lacing a wheel. I haven't even posted yet and keeping that up has gotta be a goat rodeo once stuff starts to sell.

The USA thread (sticky) has very little activity. Don't get me wrong, retrobike.uk is an awesome site and a resource to be fully supported. I just don't think the masses of Americans looking for parts should go hunting for something that started here, went over there, and is now for sale back to us. The interchange of commerce on vintage MTB parts has gotta be one of the craziest out there.

MTBR.com has the classifieds, but you have to pay to play (nominal but still an outlay). There is nothing like a free forum for community members supporting each other. The owners of vintage Spezy, Bonty, Bridgey, Ritchey, etc., should all jump on board and get the traffic flowing. If nothing else, out of respect to the guy who put it all together. If all the registered members of fatcogs posted a stem, saddle, post, or ti bolt there, traffic would pick up. Nothing like gorilla marketing in a lame economy.

I would think more American OS MTBers would be quick to promote and use this relatively new forum. ****, I bought parts for a bike I don't even have yet (thanks Eli).

Doug Carter

Staff member
I thought so, too. I am surprised there hasn't been more word-of-mouth to help it grow. Been pretty stale to this point, with only 30 regular users checking into the site.

There are enough hardcore MTB collectors out there to make it worthwhile

Doug Carter

Staff member
Whelp, it's almost been a year on the MTB vintage classifieds forum, and there is almost no use from anyone outside the Fat community here. There are only 14 active users (anyone who has checked in during the last 30 days one or more times), so it's not worth it to keep paying to renew the domain or anything else.

I'll be shutting that site down in the next few weeks, so if you have PMs or information over there that you want saved, you had better get it soon.

doug