Serial # details on my Buck

fat66

I have a Buck Shaver frameset that I am getting ready to build up OR sell. The serial # is BS M 015,,,,,,,,,,I know it's a Medium Saratoga rig, decent red paint and decals, dinged up but in overall good shape. Can anyone help with the year? thanks in advance
Mark G
Norte AZ
2 Wheels Good:D

Doug Carter

Staff member
Unfortunately, once they moved to the Serotta facility, their numbering system stopped including date codes. Best way to match it up by colors offered, but I think Bucks were almost always offered in red, so you don't have much to go on. It's 1994.5 or later, that's about it.

If they were original components on the bike when it was still a roller, you might be able to carbon-date it by those, too. Outside of that...

DC

My Buck, BS M 110 is a '95, it was ordered at the shop that I worked at in '95. My guess, if they had any sequence to them is your's was the 15th buck of the year 1995, or maybe the 15th medium Buck of the year. It is all speculation at this point.

Anyway it rolls, you have an expertly crafted, handbuilt, American steel bike that you should be proud as heck to ride the heck out of!

RIDE IT!! these bikes were NOT made to be collector's garage queens

(that is my opinion, calmly stated)

settemarche

BS = model: BuckShaver

M = size: medium

01 = number built that year??? yours would be the first...

5 = last number of the year 1995.

1995 jives with NY. but as always none of the above is concrete. we see different serial sequences in all different years. nothing is set in stone when it comes to Fat City.

IF52

BS = model: BuckShaver

M = size: medium

01 = number built that year??? yours would be the first...

5 = last number of the year 1995.

1995 jives with NY. but as always none of the above is concrete. we see different serial sequences in all different years. nothing is set in stone when it comes to Fat City.

NO date codes from 95 on. If you look at the serial numbers of know 1995 Fats you will see they end in just about any number, clearly indicating the last number has nothing to do with the year of birth. I will speculate that the writing was on the wall by that point and they figured if they kept date codes in the serial numbers it would be more obvious when they were selling frames from the year before as current model year frames. Not that they changed that much from year to year other than the eventual switch to 1 1/8th.

fat66

No garage queens here in Norte AZ

My Buck, BS M 110 is a '95, it was ordered at the shop that I worked at in '95. My guess, if they had any sequence to them is your's was the 15th buck of the year 1995, or maybe the 15th medium Buck of the year. It is all speculation at this point.

Anyway it rolls, you have an expertly crafted, handbuilt, American steel bike that you should be proud as heck to ride the heck out of!

RIDE IT!! these bikes were NOT made to be collector's garage queens

(that is my opinion, calmly stated)

I agree, FC were made to be ridden, NOT garage queens to be admired over a fine bottle of wine,,,,,,,,,,,,,unless it 's after the ride! I have 5 other Fats in my shop and I would guesstimate they have over 18,000 miles on them. I'll be riding one of them this weekend, most likely the 92 Yo dirt drop SS. Have a weekend:D
2 WHEELS GOOD

DC

I agree, FC were made to be ridden, NOT garage queens to be admired over a fine bottle of wine,,,,,,,,,,,,,unless it 's after the ride! I have 5 other Fats in my shop and I would guesstimate they have over 18,000 miles on them. I'll be riding one of them this weekend, most likely the 92 Yo dirt drop SS. Have a weekend:D
2 WHEELS GOOD

Definitely into the post-ride, quality garage time :beer:

enjoy your Fats!