V brake XTR question

smittylube

SO on my Wicked it came with cantilever brakes. Then I swapped out the brakes for some used V brake XTR's given to me from Mainlyfats. (Thank you very much)

SInce I installed them I found it to stop much better and I like it better, however they rattle. Is that typical of even new shimano xtr vbrakes?

tvcreative

you may need new pads, but check the toe of the existing pads.

and check that there is no schmutz embedded in the pad...

i have several pairs and have never noticed anything -- unless the set up was slightly off.

finally do you have the washer that sits on the brake post bolt?

if not there would/could be some play there on the arms...

smittylube

Let me describe it better. They have some play at the pivot of the part the pad bolts onto as well as the thin arm to keep everything level through the movement- fine and tight where it mounts to the bike.

The rattle happens if I am going fast possibly mostly concrete from the knobs on the tires and the resonance. If I pull the brakes it stops. Possibly there is a plastic bushing inside that has worn? not sure since I did not have them new.

If you grab the pad you can wiggle it slightly.

WVEddy

Get the cane creek direct curve 5 brakes. They are way nicer than the avid or shimano v brakes. Plus they just look cooler.

mainlyfats

In my experience, that's the way they are.

Let me describe it better. They have some play at the pivot of the part the pad bolts onto as well as the thin arm to keep everything level through the movement- fine and tight where it mounts to the bike.

The rattle happens if I am going fast possibly mostly concrete from the knobs on the tires and the resonance. If I pull the brakes it stops. Possibly there is a plastic bushing inside that has worn? not sure since I did not have them new.

If you grab the pad you can wiggle it slightly.

smittylube

Fair enough. They work way better than my old canti's for sure. TO solve most of the rattling I found some super small o'rings and stick them at the upper pivot pin to dampen the thin rod that keeps things level. That stops most of the rattling.