• All For Sale Adverts Must Have A Price !

large ti fat chnace 94-1" sid - syncros crancks

02mick

For sale s my recently purchased titanium fat chance.
When i bought the bike on the ebay i was mend to have a dent when i opened the box there was a dent with a small crack in it.i had a long discusing with the old owner, he posted a couple of posts here.
to cut a very long story short i am not happy ridding this bike, i marked to small crack and it doesnt seem to get bigger.acoording to the old owner it is all structual sound.

i paid 1000 plus dollars for the frame and the two rigid forks, the bike rides nice it realt does.
I am asking 500 usa dollard (ex shipping ) and i am open for offers.
that would be for a frame, king headset, brand new groove fork, the broken original fork and the frame.and use seat post adaptor

apart from that i have for sale :
1 sid i" fork , good working order, no air leaks, mint stanchions look at the fork tabs..
$ 200,-p.p.

1 set of legendary syncros crancks, had these for years and possibly regret selling them, they have brand spanking new mddle burn rings and come with uninstalled matching cranck bolts.
$450,-p.p.
all this i slocated in perth westeren austraia will post worldwide.

Attachments

• 26012010055.jpg
    26012010055.jpg
    334.7 KB · Views: 129
  • 26012010056.jpg
    26012010056.jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 82
  • 26012010057.jpg
    26012010057.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 138
  • 26012010059.jpg
    26012010059.jpg
    331.9 KB · Views: 85
  • 26012010060.jpg
    26012010060.jpg
    347.9 KB · Views: 72

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
Man, that's rough! I hope you and the seller worked something out.

Can you post some better pics of the crack? The shot I assume is it is focused on the background, not the tube.

I-ROBOT

I would like to see a better shot of the "crack" as well. Something like that should be repairable. Have you had any tests done on it like a liquid penetrant exam? (also known as a dye check) Any reputable weld shop or test lab could do it for you for fairly cheap. Kits are available to do it yourself but you have to know what you are looking at. That's where certified inspectors (like me) come in.

It seems a bit unusual that a dent would cause a crack to form, especially in 3/2.5 TI which is relatively ductile.

Let me know what happens
If that's a Somerville frame, then I welded it
Scott Bengtson

I-ROBOT

Do you have a digital camera that has a macro (close-up) setting? If you could take a pic of the dent/crack with that so I could see a lot of detail, I may be able to tell if it really is a crack or not. Don't sell it if you really don't have to.
Scott

bonsaii

The ductility of the 3/2.5Ti were my thoughts as well when I expressed myself in the other link on this frame. Strange place to crack a tube, "in the middle of nowhere". Off course it's in a dent, but still..

I'm interested in that frame and forks, too..

It seems a bit unusual that a dent would cause a crack to form, especially in 3/2.5 TI which is relatively ductile.

Let me know what happens
If that's a Somerville frame, then I welded it
Scott Bengtson

02mick

for some reason i cant upload the close ups on this website, but iam more then happy to send them to any body how contemplate buying the frame.shoot me your email address if so.
thanks mick

for some reason i cant upload the close ups on this website, but iam more then happy to send them to any body how contemplate buying the frame.shoot me your email address if so.
thanks mick
join photobucket www.photobucket.com This is a 3rd party photo hosting site that will allow you to upload higher resolution pictures and then cut and paste the image links to this site. Viewers should then be able to see the high res photos on this site. I've done this with some of my posts and it works well.

I-ROBOT

Hey Gang

Mick sent me a couple of shots and that top tube is cracked for sure. It's wounded but not fatal. I have no idea if there are any frame builders down under who are capable of working with TI but that crack can be welded and the small dent filled with TI weld metal. If it's done correctly and the repair weld surface is sanded smooth, you will never know that it was fixed. It's possible to braze or solder titanium, but I have never done it and cannot offer any sort of procedure to accomplish it.

The biggest concern would be shrinkage from welding on one side of the tube and having that throw off the alignment. I would think the frame would have to be clamped in a fixture with some pressure on the head tube to counteract the shrinkage as the repair weld solidifies. The repair weld should be done in very small steps to keep the heat input to the absolute minimum.

The weld should be made with 6/4 ELI Aluminum/Vanadium filler metal. This is what I used on all of the TI welds on the Somerville frames. In this instance, commercially pure TI filler metal (CP) could be used since the weld really isn't structural but I would use the 6/4 if at all possible. The frame has to be purged on the inside with pure argon. No oxygen can be allowed to contact the TI weld while it is being made or is cooling. This includes the interior surfaces as well. The area to be welded has to be meticulously clean and weld filler rod must not be handled with bare hands under any circumstance. Just the slightest amount of finger grease will be enough to contaminate the weld and make it brittle, possibly even cracking while it cools. Then you have a mess.

I wish I still had access to a shop so I could do the repair myself, but I work for an engineering company now.

Any of the state-side TI frame builders should be able to give you a quote to repair the crack. I don't know if that is worth it for you at this point, but that frame is rare enough that it may be so.

Best of Luck
Scott Bengtson

RobTu

Scott, you are the Fat man :)

I'm interested; please shoot me a pm if this is still available. Thanks

-Rob

bonsaii

This showed up on my door yesterday..

I must say the dent and crack is much smaller than the impression I got from the pics.

The dent and crack size: a circular envelope of approx 6mm, the crack lenght approx 2,5mm and depth approx 0,5mm.

I'm amazed by the externally machined tubes! OOaahh!

Attachments

• 1Copy.JPG
    1Copy.JPG
    466.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Copy of 1.JPG
    Copy of 1.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 22

I-ROBOT

Hey Bonsaii

If you can find a shop in your corner of the world that seems capable of doing the repair, let me know who they are and I will ask them to submit their repair procedure to me for review before they do the job.

Purging the inside of the frame with argon is an absolute MUST!!!!!!!!!! If they are not willing to purge the inside of the frame then DO NOT let them do the welding!!

Please feel free to use my name and credentials if you talk to anyone about repairing the frame. I have a college degree in welding engineering and I am an American Welding Society Certified Welding Inspector (CWI).

Send me a PM if you have any questions.

Good Luck - wish I could fix it for you
Scott Bengtson

OldFatTi

I know this is a couple years old, but just reading this now and much credit must go to Scott for his help and sharing of knowledge!

Top man Scott!