Stay Tuff Chain Stay Protector repro

jpicard616

As far as I can tel, there'sl a lot of people around would like a set or two of these, but for some reason nobody (that I know of) has made any. Velocals has a few different designs for chainstay protectors with various logos i.e. campagnolo, shimano...etc. So I was thinking about asking them to make one with the old "Stay Tuff" logo on it, but I can't find a photo of one anywhere! I have one on my Yo, but it's too scratched up to get a good shot. Could somebody take a picture of theirs so I can send it over to Velocals? Also, I understand that they don't do custom orders too much anymore, so it would help out if a bunch of people were interested in these.

Last edited:

stoebben

Stay Tuff

Careful if you care about the material used for the protector. The vinyl used by Velocals for this purpose is much thinner and stiffer than the original and isn't cut to the same shape (although close). It also doesn't form well to the surface of the tube at the outside bend where the brace is welded inside the chainstays.

stoebben

Stay Tuff

BUT, I should add that if we can find a similar material to the original cut to the same shape, I also would be interested. ;)

jpicard616

Hmmm.... That's something to think about. It would probably be easy to trim the decal down with scissors to make the correct shape, but I didn't know the thickness of their chainstay protectors were so thin. Are they just the same as their decals?

stoebben

Stay Tuff

I haven't purchased any of their frame decals other than the chainstay protector and tubing manufacturer repops, but can't believe the frame decals would be as thick. The protector material is thinner than the other aftermarket protector makers and stiffer. It works OK but I wouldn't purchase it again, mainly due to the fact that its stiffness doesn't allow it to conform well to any significant bends in the chainstay tubing.