My Fat Ti

Perryr

I put on some new tires (and Stans) and took a shot of beast. Some old and new. Grafton Mag Brakes, Dean Ti 24" Bar (93), Phil Mag BB. She Rips!

perryr_001.jpg

scant

very nice mate! Did you get the frame via ebay? saw a fat ti with those colour forks on it a while back :)

Yo Eddy!

Both bikes look indeed very similar, but when you look more closely you can see that the componentselection differs very much.

The eBay one:
FatTi(C).jpg

Nevertheless: I bet it

Jeeves

OH WOW...that's really pretty.

What's the story with that crank/chainring?

One of these days I'll post pics of my rides -- first need to figure out how to host pics on my webspace, and I'll take it from there.

Thanks for the pic!
-Raj

Perryr

Hey Guys, Yep, thats the Bike that was on Ebay. It was set up as a single speed by using spacers on the cassette and as you can see a pretty big front ring! I changed the cranks to white industry ENO, and put on a set of second hand Chris King Single speed hubs with 517's.

The old synchros post would not stay in place, been sliding for to many years, and I like more setback, so I put on a thomson 27.2 and used a cane creek shim to make the difference. The shim I think actually helps grip the post better than the Ti walls of the seat tube. The post has not slipped a micro-meter since installed.

The Bars and stem were a little to relaxed for me so I put a bit longer stem and flat bar with no spacer. She's diggin' a bit in the front so I will probably add the spacer back or go to a 1" riser bar.

Using Stans no-tubes. The Bike really flies. Its a joy to ride. I bought this bike because my 93' Yo suffered from a rusted seat tube. I miss my old Yo, but boy the Ti is really sweet. Bit more forgiving ride and still a great climber. Overall I am really happy with it.

I will eventually be converting back to gears, but in the meantime am really having fun on the Single Speed!

Perryr

Yes, my seattube rusted through down by the BB. I bought my Yo in 93' and just don't remember being told to give the seat tube an annual treatment. I just rode it. Then this year during an overhaul I noticed the paint bubbled down by the BB. Poked around and went right through. UGH! heartbraking. Been my only MB for over 10yrs.

I needed a bike so I went to ebay looking for another early Yo and found the Fat Ti set up for Single Speed. Figured I'd give it a shot, but am finding that I miss the gears. Theres a winter race series comming up so I will convert it back to gears before that starts. In the mean time the SS is kind of an eye opener. Amazing how quick and snappy they are. I am sure the rigid fork has something to do with it as well. I am really liking the fork and so far have no desire to put suspension on.

Perryr

I'd love to restore my Yo. Still have it. If you know someone whoe could fix it, please let me know!

Yo Eddy!

A few names I know:

For Europe: Gleiss, Pulcro
For the US: Ted Wojcik

As rust is a serious problem for FATs it is probably better to start 2 topics in the Builders corner. One for preventing and one for restoration.

scant

As theres no warranty anyway. getting the dremel out & drilling a tiny hole from the BB shell up through into the seatube allows the water to drain from the seattube & into the BB shell.
coating the inside of the frame with waxoyl or similiar will help prevent rust.
This isnt purely a FAT related problem I should say. My 1990 yeti FRO is fully sealed & rusted through seat & down tubes are pretty common on these frames as well.
I know a few people who've successfully had the seattube replaced & its not as big/priccy a job as you'd imagine!
Argos cycles in bristol UK charge around

My IF Planet X cyclocross frame rusted through the seat tube above the BB shell. Lloyd at IF first told me they could fix it for $400 but later said they would rather replace the whole thing for a bit more, so that is what I did. I still have the original frame and would like to fix it. If anybody knows of a framebuilder in the USA that will do such a repair for less than $400 please contact me. Thanks.