The demise of Fat

Tomas Mifek

Hi everybody
It just recently occurred to me to try putting "Fat Cogs" into Google to see if I could find some other Fat owners even though I've been using Google for a few years now. So now I've found Fat COGS and my question is, what the hell ever happend to Fat City after moving to Stowe?

I'm asking here because, you see, I left Canada in 1993 and moved to the Czech Republic where very, very few people have ever heard of Fat and I didn't subscribe to any US bike mag untill 1997 so I didn't find out about Fat City's demise untill a few years after the fact and went into the third deepest depression of my life. I'd like to know what happened and would appreciate getting the low-down.

Tomas Mifek
Jablonec, Czech Republic

Tomas Mifek

Thanks man. I almost could't log on because I had forgotten my user name, my own damn name!

Anyways, interesting to here steel is making a comeback in the US. I had wondered about Ibis too. ANd what about Mountain Goat? How many other great frame builders from the '80s have gone out of business. I remember the days of Bridgestone and Paramount too. Interestingly, an American riding buddy in Prague has a Bridgestone. He's riding a Kona now but still keeps the Bridgstone. And so, enclosed is a photo of me and another American friend of the Bridgstone owner at the first feed station of the local infamous, season finale Rally Sudety. He doesn't understand much Czech and is seen in this foto trying to decipher the banner from the commie-swine era that some weekend party-campers strung out, behind us. It reads "A concrete task for everyone". Your guess is as good as mine as to what the hell that's supposed to mean. Keep in mind that the aparachik who thought up that slogan was not on drugs at the time.

And speaking of steel, if I could figure out how to reduce the size of my digital photos I'd post a picture or two of my bent seat stay, incurred at above said race. It's at one of the three steel frame builders in this country right now. I'm a little concerned since there's a 5-8mm long crumple along the side of the dimple but the welder siad it'll straighten right out.

Oh, and yes the name of Rally Sudety is derived from the location of the race, that part of this country that served as a pretext for the Austrian corporal to bamboosel the western powers into letting Nazi Germany annex a neighbouring, sovereign country. You can find Napoleonic battlefield heritage sites in this country too, as well as a castle, aristocrat mansion and beer lodge within half an hour of just about anywhere you can ride.

Cioa for now.
TM

cstrohl

scant said:
tomas, you probabily know by now that Ibis is making a comeback very soon :)

Couldn't help but jump in here - I hadn't heard that Ibis was going to return. Where did you hear about that and do you have any additional details?

Thanks.

C

cbh

Another Dallas Member?

cstrohl said:
Couldn't help but jump in here - I hadn't heard that Ibis was going to return. Where did you hear about that and do you have any additional details?

Thanks.

C

Cstrohl,

I know this is off topic, but it looks like we are both in Dallas.

Any chance you were the person I met the other day with the Ti Independent Fabrications single speed?