Hoss Rogers

I-ROBOT

A few days back, somebody mentioned Hoss Rogers after I identified him on a hang tag. I sent him a message and, sure enough, he turned out to be The Hoss Rogers who painted at FCC for a while. He did the original paint on my 1987 Wicked and yesterday he sent me a pic that he found of his Fat and my Wicked sitting side by side. He is now a jewelery craftsman in Tempe, AZ and sounds like he is doing well. He was a cool guy and we always got along while he was working at FCC.
The pic is a scanned print so its a bit grainy - just don't laugh too hard at my Hite-Wrong!!:mad: (it seemed like a good idea at the time - but there was that smoky shop thing so... where was I?)

Anyway, enjoy and Hoss says hi to all the fat cogs everywhere

Attachments

• Scott_Hoss_FCC_bikes.jpg
    Scott_Hoss_FCC_bikes.jpg
    362.7 KB · Views: 129

colker

A few days back, somebody mentioned Hoss Rogers after I identified him on a hang tag. I sent him a message and, sure enough, he turned out to be The Hoss Rogers who painted at FCC for a while. He did the original paint on my 1987 Wicked and yesterday he sent me a pic that he found of his Fat and my Wicked sitting side by side. He is now a jewelery craftsman in Tempe, AZ and sounds like he is doing well. He was a cool guy and we always got along while he was working at FCC.
The pic is a scanned print so its a bit grainy - just don't laugh too hard at my Hite-Wrong!!:mad: (it seemed like a good idea at the time - but there was that smoky shop thing so... where was I?)

Anyway, enjoy and Hoss says hi to all the fat cogs everywhere

2 beautifull bikes. They don't paint them like this anymore.

sketchy

He also does custom sterling head badges. Couple of folks I know have had them made for various bikes. The ones I've seen are beautiful.

KickingDust

Hoss Signature

Hey, I was just looking at the origianl sales take from Fat City that was on my 1986 Monster and there was Hoss's signature. I've haven't ridden it much in the last 20 years because I have so many bikes. I was thinking of selling it but then I found this site and decided just to clean it up a bit and use it for errends. I just love the bike too much, especially the WTB grease guard hubs/Specialized GX23 rims. It doesn't need any restoration work but a little attention to some scrapes on the frame that have a little rust. I live in Sedona, AZ and rust is rare!

Attachments

• FAT_Sig_Card.jpg
    FAT_Sig_Card.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

KickingDust

More Pictures!

Here they are. I haven't cleaned it yet but it's just a little red dirt. I did had have the hub bearings replaced and the bottom bracket cleaned, new cables, basic maintenance a few years ago. I'm mostly concerned about scrtches that were deep enough to go through the paint. They have a little rust but that hasn't changed since I moved to the southwest. So I'm not sure I'll do anything about it. Cables have cause some wear to the paint but no rust. No bubbling of paint like I read on a recent review here, collapsing frame, yikes!!!! When I bought the bike from Mike's Bikes in Marin County I really wanted the Wicked Fat but they didn't have one in my size so I opted for the Monster which they said was the same frame with less expensive components. That seems to be true as I upgraded a number of parts especially the wheels and stem and others, I don't have a record of. The only contemporary part is the rear cog. Everything else is "period" late 1980's. I mostly rode it on Mt Tam with all those old groove Marin riders. I've ridden it a little bit in Sedona but it is far to rocky for a non-suspension bike although the bike handle very well.

Additions since I can't put text under the photos: I'm concerned about is preserving the Monster and FAT "decal", actually paint, I don't think it's a decal.
I filed down the teeth on the Suntour pedals to accomodate my Sedi cyclocross shoes, Binda straps on the cages, WTB toe flips (really useful!). I found a ding in the on the underside of the left chain stay, bummer, sorry the WTB logo on the hub is not clear - note the Bullseye pully. I don't know why the Shimano Deor text wore off the right crank but it is present on the left crank. Most of the components are Deor XT, SIS function works just fine.

Anyway, there you go. Any suggestions, comments are certainly welcome!

Attachments

• FAT_Fullview.jpg
    FAT_Fullview.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 35
  • FAT_Decal.jpg
    FAT_Decal.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 27
  • FAT_RearD.jpg
    FAT_RearD.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 20
  • FAT_Frontview.jpg
    FAT_Frontview.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 23
  • FAT_Pedal.jpg
    FAT_Pedal.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 26
  • FAT_WTB.jpg
    FAT_WTB.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 24
  • FAT_Crank.jpg
    FAT_Crank.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 20
  • FAT_Rearview.jpg
    FAT_Rearview.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

I-ROBOT

Here they are. I haven't cleaned it yet but it's just a little red dirt. I did had have the hub bearings replaced and the bottom bracket cleaned, new cables, basic maintenance a few years ago. I'm mostly concerned about scrtches that were deep enough to go through the paint. They have a little rust but that hasn't changed since I moved to the southwest. So I'm not sure I'll do anything about it. Cables have cause some wear to the paint but no rust. No bubbling of paint like I read on a recent review here, collapsing frame, yikes!!!! When I bought the bike from Mike's Bikes in Marin County I really wanted the Wicked Fat but they didn't have one in my size so I opted for the Monster which they said was the same frame with less expensive components. That seems to be true as I upgraded a number of parts especially the wheels and stem and others, I don't have a record of. The only contemporary part is the rear cog. Everything else is "period" late 1980's. I mostly rode it on Mt Tam with all those old groove Marin riders. I've ridden it a little bit in Sedona but it is far to rocky for a non-suspension bike although the bike handle very well.

Additions since I can't put text under the photos: I'm concerned about is preserving the Monster and FAT "decal", actually paint, I don't think it's a decal.
I filed down the teeth on the Suntour pedals to accomodate my Sedi cyclocross shoes, Binda straps on the cages, WTB toe flips (really useful!). I found a ding in the on the underside of the left chain stay, bummer, sorry the WTB logo on the hub is not clear - note the Bullseye pully. I don't know why the Shimano Deor text wore off the right crank but it is present on the left crank. Most of the components are Deor XT, SIS function works just fine.

Anyway, there you go. Any suggestions, comments are certainly welcome!

Welcome to Fat Cogs
Your frame must one of the first ones to have the "Monster" decal. The frame itself is actually a Wicked. Looking at the hangtag photo, the serial number ends in a W which indicates that it is a Wicked frame. The first Monsters just had cheaper parts groups which we were supplying for a while. If you do decide to repaint and restore, you could go with the Wicked decal (which should be easier to find than the original Monster decal) and the frame would be correct. The later models of the Monster had the wishbone seatstay construction and straight head tube and the frame dimensions were based on the Yo Eddy. So you really do have a Wicked!
Got to visit Sedona in 1992, cool place!
Best of luck
Scott

KickingDust

Confirmation

Thank you for the confirmation that the W does mean Wicked! And yes I have been able to find Wicked! decals in Yellow.

Now I have to decide on the paint scheme. The Wicked! in that shop in 1986 was white, green, and black however, I on this board that there are all kinds of varieties whether original or not I don't know. I was thinking of an industrial theme using a clear coat to show off the exceptional welding, natural steel color and markings, cork grips, and leave rest as is. But I'd want to see the bike stripped before I went this way. Another thought would be green with a yellow fork, and perhaps black chain stays. I don't know yet. In any event I would like to stay with the usual Wicked! color scheme but with a twist.

Yes, Sedona has become quite mtb single track town! It so rocky though I've gone through so many bikes, expecially because I have a bike touring company. Just sold a 2004 Titus Racer X because it was just sitting in the garage. I never really liked it all that much that why I sold it and chose to hold onto the FAT. I think you'd be shocked at how Sedona has changed since 1992. It so built up and touristy.

Last edited:

KickingDust

Plain Vanilla

I'm just going to powder coat all black with the yellow "decals. Since I just want to preserve the bike, I don't see any reason to get more exotic. Then I can focus on refurbishing the components; mostly the wheel rims as my local shop, frame builder friends recommend. I'm sure other stuff will come up but it's all an adventure...... I love this blog and will keep sending updates. I'm enjoying the learning curve and communicating with other FAT lovers! Thanks!

Thanks for the input!!!!!:p

Oh, the decals will be Wicked" not Monster. Thanks I-Robot!

Last edited: