Yo Eddy question(s)

Lucieli

Two questions about my Yo Eddy.

The seatpost is frozen in the seat tube. This happened once before years ago and the bike shop that I bought it in managed to get it out...after breaking 2 bench vises! Is this a common problem? Should I just bring it in to a shop to avoid the possibility of damaging the frame?

I'm thinking about upgrading the front suspension. I bought the frame with the original fork, put on a Manitou II, then switched to a Manitou III after a few years. I have not been riding much the past few years and plan on getting back into it. Any sugestions for a new fork would be greatly appreciated.

1992 Yo Eddy
006y2m
Original color: Teal
1st repaint: Cosmic Fade (Fat added the chain-suck device)
2nd repaint: Saphire Fade (Chain-suck device broke and Fat fixed and painted for free)

Mike

scant

hmm. I dont see why any post would seize so readily, unless its a real tight fit? you ride in the soaking wet a lot? As long as the post is reg cleaned & greased you shouldnt ever have a problem! .. not great to hear now I know!

If you need a 1in fork? I'd recommend both marzoke & magura/rond, dont go more than 80mm travel :)

Lucieli

I actually haven't been riding the bike at all the past few years. Its been stored hanging upside down in my basement next to a Cannondale which has seen no use either. It is possible that the bike had been ridden in wet conditions before being put away. The post was usually kept well greased since the last time it froze. I have not spent a lot of time trying to move it.

Mike

scant

hmm, if there was any water in the seatube & then left to hang upside down... real easy way for seizing to happen. sorry about that :(

try penetrating oils?. in most extreme cases seized seatpost removal usually means death of the seatpost :(

Lowrider

use some WD40 and a heat gun, dismount the saddle and fix the seatpost upside down in a bench vise. So that the frame is Upside down standing over the bench vise.

Heat the seattube careful in about 4" from the BB away. try to turn the frame around the fixet Seatpost time to time. Dont heat too much, steel frames have lower heat expansion than a aluminum seatpost. If the seatpost gets temperatur, cool the seatpost down,... with ice?!
This works very good with titanium posts in aluminum frames. steel and titanium must work too, but i dont can tell about steel and aluminum, becouse of missing experience.

cheers
Lowrider