new to the forum. what do I have here?

oldfatcruiser

Thought I'd start with an intro before asking for help I.D'ing this bike. I am primarily a vintage fat tire cruiser guy with a couple of early mountain bikes also. I like working with older bikes of any kind. I have a Fat City / Fat Chance bike from what I think is about '88 or '89. It has Mavic rims w/Bullseye hubs, is equipped with a Shimano Deore XT, Sakae Powerbulge titanium handlebars, a Cinelli seat, and Redline pedals. How much of this is original to the bike or has it been modified over the years? Is this a desirable model? Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Heading out to pick up a chain and some tubes so I can start cleaning this up today. It definitely needs some TLC. Thanks! TJ

oldfatcruiser

Here's a photo....
IMG_2241-1.jpg

Syborg

Hi TJ,
welcome on FatCogs.
I have just itching in my fingers. I would like to lend a hand on your bike to clean it and prepare for biking. Great paint job never seen this kind of color scheme.

Greetings from Germany:thup:

Helmut

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
Definitely a candidate for a restoration! You have some very very desirable parts on there, and the paint job is sweet. Can you see what the serial # is? (under the BB)

IF52

Holy mackerel, that fat, or one with the exact same paintjob was on the cover of Bicycle Guide, or one of the other bike magazines in the late 80s.

AB

Almost completely original late 80's bike custom paint - worth mild period correct restoration and as with all older fats should be offered for sale on this site first before ebay etc.

oldfatcruiser

Thanks for the response and info. I am in the process of cleaning everything up and getting the bike ready to ride again. I will post some closeups of the paint in a couple days. I have been reading old posts here and trying to gain as much knowledge as I can about these bikes. And yes I would definitely offer it up to a group of enthusiasts like the ones on this site instead of listing on evilbay if it was for sale. I am really looking forward to riding it (hopefully by this weekend.)