Bought another Yo Eddy yesterday and need help identifying the year

Serial Number is YoML2484

I know that it's a Saratoga Built Medium/Large and it has a 1 1/8th head tube & threaded bottom bracket. No disc tabs. Also the cable routing is corrected for V-brakes.

Also looking for some advice on removal of the frozen thompson seatpost.

Cheers,
Jon

3k13pc3o15Y25U45S4b5875a10b332ac41fde.jpg

3m33p33o65Y45O25X2b58f0d376da81561eb6.jpg

3k33mb3lf5O55V65U6b582283855019a11105.jpg

3m03oa3lb5Z05P55X0b58d00be437da1717e8.jpg

Last edited:

tvcreative

Will you repaint

Will you end up repainting?

if so, heat it up with a torch - this will get it out toot sweet

otherwise, plenty of oil and elbow grease is the only way I know.

looks like a nice project, FYI there may be other ways on the SP

ameybrook

Pretty sure that's a 1998. My 98 has a similar placing of the 8 in the SN. I also just removed a stuck Thomson from mine. Removed BB, poured coke in the seattube and let it hang over night. Then clamped the head in a vice and turned the frame like hell. Took some real effort too.

rthomer

2 journeyman plumbers, 2-24" pipe wrenches, and a boy (me holding the frame), got my post unstuck recently. Only after I dislocated a rip.

Pretty sure that's a 1998. My 98 has a similar placing of the 8 in the SN. I also just removed a stuck Thomson from mine. Removed BB, poured coke in the seattube and let it hang over night. Then clamped the head in a vice and turned the frame like hell. Took some real effort too.
I was guessing about a '98 based upon the vintage of Deore XT Group that is on the bike. I wonder if the Coke breaks up the alluminum oxide like drano is supposed to?

Let it soak in penetrating oil for days.

I am still trying to figure out how to seal the thomson seat post so it will hold liquid while upside-down. I tried jerry-rigging a plastic plug with some cut up rubber tube but the sharp edges of the thomson keep cutting through the tube and causing leaks.

Do you think the penetrating oil will work with an alluminum post in a steel frame?

Thanks,
Jon

fat-tony

Staff member
I am still trying to figure out how to seal the thomson seat post so it will hold liquid while upside-down. I tried jerry-rigging a plastic plug with some cut up rubber tube but the sharp edges of the thomson keep cutting through the tube and causing leaks.

Do you think the penetrating oil will work with an alluminum post in a steel frame?

Thanks,
Jon

Sorry, I didn't realize that your seatpost was aluminum, so the oil is not really going to do anything to the oxidation that has probably occured.

Got the Post Out!!!

Sorry, I didn't realize that your seatpost was aluminum, so the oil is not really going to do anything to the oxidation that has probably occured.

This Seatpost was a nightmare! I tried pouring Amonia, & then Coke, & then Drano down the seat tube & the thing would not budge. Finally I decided I was not going to salvage the post so I put it in my vise and twisted the frame. The post broke in half leaving approximately 200mm in the frame with only about 1/2" sticking out. I bought some new 12" hack saw blades and a special hacksaw which only holds the blade from one end and carefully sawed the remainder of the post lengthwise; careful to put more torque on the far-end of the post. After 90 minutes of sawing I got it to move!

ThompsonSeatPosts.jpg

Next I need to figure out how to clean out and treat the seat tube to prevent any further rust or isssues. Cheers, Jon

Last edited:

zack

This Seatpost was a nightmare! I tried pouring Amonia, & then Coke, & then Drano down the seat tube & the thing would not budge. Finally I decided I was not going to salvage the post so I put it in my vise and twisted the frame. The post broke in half leaving approximately 200mm in the frame with only about 1/2" sticking out. I bought some new 12" hack saw blades and a special hacksaw which only holds the blade from one end and carefully sawed the remainder of the post lengthwise; careful to put more torque on the far-end of the post. After 90 minutes of sawing I got it to move!

ThompsonSeatPosts.jpg

Next I need to figure out how to clean out and treat the seat tube to prevent any further rust or isssues. Cheers, Jon

Jon, take the frame to a facility that does sand blasting / glass bead blasting, have them use glass bead and blast down the seat post tube. The tube will be very clean inside and the glass bead will not erode your metal tube. As for post cleaning I would recommend a wax type rust inhibitor

Jon, take the frame to a facility that does sand blasting / glass bead blasting, have them use glass bead and blast down the seat post tube. The tube will be very clean inside and the glass bead will not erode your metal tube. As for post cleaning I would recommend a wax type rust inhibitor

I bought a brake cylinder hone that mounts on drill motor and ran into the seat tube slowly to remove the rust. If its wet inside I'd leave the frame upside down to drain out the fluids completely. Or blow dry it out. Then treat the seat tube with "frame saver".

It looks something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-10000-Brake-Cylinder-Hone/dp/B0002SQUG8

That's a great idea. I noticed in the seat tube there are protrusions from the water bottle braze-ons. I assume I need to be very careful around these?