Fat Radball Bike

Figured as long as I was posting, I'd toss this one in for the guys who really like an oddball...

oddball6.jpg

ccradball2.jpg

ccradball6.jpg

reardrop1.jpg

forkdrop1.jpg

A bit silly, but a very fun ride.

Steve

You sure that isn't a Della Santa?

Going by what the seller told me...he seemed pretty straight up:

Sorry for the delay. Attached are the full size photos. I got the bike from William Jayne, the guy who was with Chris Chance in his basement when they built the bike back in the 70s. Some of the components are a bit dirty, but frame is in perfect condition. Gear ratio is almost 1:1 right now (was built as a bike ball bike), but there's plenty of frame clearance to switch out the chainring for a bigger one.

I tried to reach Mr. Jayne by e-mail, but no dice...tried Chris too, but not suprisingly that was a bust too. I'd love to confirm one way or the other, but no matter who put it together, it's well built and a blast to ride.

What tips you to Della Santa?

cheers,

Steve

mainlyfats

Nothing more than how weird it is and the star motif. Della Santa, it seems to me, would have had more opportunity to take on strange projects like this given the length of his career. Chris' non-Fat road bike building days were - comparatively - very short. 77 to 81?

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/USA/della_santa/r-romeau_interview.htm

I also realize that it would probably be impossible to build it any other way given the angles, but never seen a non-lugged pre-Fat Chris Chance frame.

Anyway - awesome score! I love that we've seen a few real odd-ball bikes lately.

I-ROBOT

Pretty cool frame! I would hate to have a close encounter with that top tube though. Yikes! I like how the BB shell is notched for wheel clearance. Quite a bit of work done in that area.

The decals seem pretty consistent with what Chris used in his pre-Fat days and I can attest to his fillet brazing skills as well.

Scott

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
Nice---I hadn't seen that one. We should have a Chris Chance thread to compile the old old rides. Chance's 77-81 output seems incredibly rare.

EastCoastSteve's awesome bike
Spike's black/grey pista and blue Chance currently getting reworked
my red and white '81
your '77
the black/white on Classics Rendezvous

Thanks for the comments guys.

Glad to see I'm not the only one out there with an eye for odd stuff.

Honestly, when I saw it listed for sale, I knew I had to have it. I was concerned
like Scott about the "jewels" /top tube interface, but when I got to ride it I was sold...top tube looks scary, but it's really not an issue.

I would like to get a set of higher bars on it at some point, it wheelies pretty well as is but with a bit more leverage, I'd really get the giggles riding it.

Nate, did you ever get the story on the World Champion Stripes?

Steve

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
Nope, he didn't reply to that bit, unfortunately. Nor to the question as to how many frames he produced prior to Fat City Cycles.

mainlyfats

Nice---I hadn't seen that one. We should have a Chris Chance thread to compile the old old rides. Chance's 77-81 output seems incredibly rare.

your '77

No longer mine, alas. Sold in a moment of lunacy.

I have first right of refusal should its current owner decide to rid himself of it.

Pretty cool frame! I would hate to have a close encounter with that top tube though. Yikes! I like how the BB shell is notched for wheel clearance. Quite a bit of work done in that area.

The decals seem pretty consistent with what Chris used in his pre-Fat days and I can attest to his fillet brazing skills as well.

Scott

Scott,

Any "chance" you can shed some light on the World Championship stripes on Chris' early decal? (lame pun intentional)

Steve