Wicked Build Opinions

settemarche

group,

i just recently scored a killer set of red, white and blue Bulleye hubs built with nice Araya rims. they are really in great shape. what are your feelings on mating those to a blue Wicked? i have a really nice Deore DX/Mavic 231 wheel set that i was planning to use for the bike. not sure if the Bulleye's are too bling?

so - Bulleye or Deore DX?

thanks,

Settee

colker

why be afraid of the bling? otoh i love DX. you are torn between excellent and very nice. nice place to be my friend.
here is the deal: build 2 wheelsets. one w/ slicks and the other w/ 2.1 rear and 2.3 front. the wicked is great as both a commuter and hardcore trail bike. i rode it today in mtb form. it was supple, balanced and fast.

colker

a wicked built in full dx mode is very good taste... or xt/ bullseye.
btw i scored a suntour xc post and it's so pretty.

settemarche

a wicked built in full dx mode is very good taste... or xt/ bullseye.
btw i scored a suntour xc post and it's so pretty.

i was wondering if you were going to get that post. did you end up winning that small Grello Yo that was recently on eBay? i often wonder why Noah does not offer his bikes to us here on the board before they go to eBay?

as for the bling. i do really like the Bullseye wheelset. it is super blingish. originally the plan was for a XT/DX build. front and rear derailleurs were going to be XT. crank, wheels and shifters were/are going to be DX. however i do have a pretty nice Topline crank that would look pretty cool on there.

it is good to hear that you have been out riding. with the fires recently i have not been out much. to much ashe and dust in the air. i planned on riding today - but report cards are just about due! so that sucked up most of the day. fingers crossed - maybe i will bust out the Voodoo tomorrow?????

Sette

colker

i was wondering if you were going to get that post. did you end up winning that small Grello Yo that was recently on eBay? i often wonder why Noah does not offer his bikes to us here on the board before they go to eBay?

as for the bling. i do really like the Bullseye wheelset. it is super blingish. originally the plan was for a XT/DX build. front and rear derailleurs were going to be XT. crank, wheels and shifters were/are going to be DX. however i do have a pretty nice Topline crank that would look pretty cool on there.

it is good to hear that you have been out riding. with the fires recently i have not been out much. to much ashe and dust in the air. i planned on riding today - but report cards are just about due! so that sucked up most of the day. fingers crossed - maybe i will bust out the Voodoo tomorrow?????

Sette

really? noah talked to me about selling a medium yo, repainted in team violet by D+D. a 1991. i was tempted but i am pretty sure now my size is a small medium. as much as it seems eccentric and irrational i actually ride these vintage bikes.;) even then i pestered him w/emails but he gave up selling.
man... i can't wait to read that you rode your wicked and had a revelation.
btw./. i revamped my ibis mojo w/ xtr 952 cranks.
back to the wicked: it has a very mellow personality coupled w/ incredible balance and precision on technical trails. you can't throw the front around as you probably do on the yo; it's fork has more rake and more flex. otoh i can ride this thing w/ a 2.3 tire up front like it has susp. such is the suppleness of those small tubes. also, i love the longer chainstays. my bet is you will like it more than the yo! if anything, the sizing will fit you better.
i say have both wheelsets ready: slicks and knobbies.

settemarche

really? noah talked to me about selling a medium yo, repainted in team violet by D+D. a 1991. i was tempted but i am pretty sure now my size is a small medium. as much as it seems eccentric and irrational i actually ride these vintage bikes.;) even then i pestered him w/emails but he gave up selling.
man... i can't wait to read that you rode your wicked and had a revelation.
btw./. i revamped my ibis mojo w/ xtr 952 cranks.
back to the wicked: it has a very mellow personality coupled w/ incredible balance and precision on technical trails. you can't throw the front around as you probably do on the yo; it's fork has more rake and more flex. otoh i can ride this thing w/ a 2.3 tire up front like it has susp. such is the suppleness of those small tubes. also, i love the longer chainstays. my bet is you will like it more than the yo! if anything, the sizing will fit you better.
i say have both wheelsets ready: slicks and knobbies.

i think the one he was selling was Grello - Med. maybe he has several. for sure it was not Team Violet.

thought you were getting rid of the Mojo???? now it has been upgraded!

reading about your Wicked comments is quite interesting. for me the frame is still in the packing. i have been putting together parts here and there. at times i think about selling it. then after reading comments like yours - i think about building it up and getting out there on it!

as for how the Yo rides. i have to say i have two and neither is functional. both are ready to be cabled up - just missing some little bits. plus, the Buckshaver is still in rebuild mode. i want to get that back before i send one of the Yo's out. i am going to have a nice break here during Chrismas and would like to ride some bikes back to back and do a write up.

Jerry from Hippietech e-mailed today and my fork are done. so my Saphirre Yo and ibis alibi are going to be dialed shortly. can't wait to post pics of the alibi - full repowder and sticker, looks killer. i even color keyed the stem and bar ends. hopefully the wife will like it. if not i can always ride it!

with regard to vintage bikes. it does seem strange. my neighbor rides Trek Fuel ex9. he can't understand the older bike deal. he also cannot understand how his bike with some carbon bits is heavier than my Voodoo.

bed time,

Sette

colker

i thought it would be silly to sell the mojo... unless i find something substantially better to replace and there is no one around here to ride it. i suspect the mojo is one size too small but isn't that the old rule w/ mountain bikes?
it's light, pretty, very orange, very supple, fast and quick.
i decided to keep it.

ride the wicked. seems all your other bikes have long top tubes and a short tube mtn bike will be an interesting experience. mine is set w/a 140mm stem! handling is calm, predictable.. everything you want when faced w/ challenging terrain.

bushpig

I like the thrill of Ebay, what can I say. I paid too much for the Grellow Yo that I recently sold so I figured Ebay was best. :D

The Team Violet Yo though, I am really getting to like. I am an NOS set of XC Pro brake levers away from an NOS XC Pro build with a Black XT front hub and a Dura Ace 8 Speed rear hub with NOS Bontrager MA40 roll downs and a Mavic post. It will sing! I have a 1990 Yo at paint that will be schweet too!

colker

I like the thrill of Ebay, what can I say. I paid too much for the Grellow Yo that I recently sold so I figured Ebay was best. :D

The Team Violet Yo though, I am really getting to like. I am an NOS set of XC Pro brake levers away from an NOS XC Pro build with a Black XT front hub and a Dura Ace 8 Speed rear hub with NOS Bontrager MA40 roll downs and a Mavic post. It will sing! I have a 1990 Yo at paint that will be schweet too!

some guy in mexico was selling many sets of NOS xc pro on ebay at $40. i bought mine from him. to tell you the truth i prefer DC 987s... somehow i can squeeze more power from the 987s.