Grello Yo

John

Administrator
Staff member
My Grello Yo has finally arrived from Germany. The bloke I bought it off reckoned it was a 96 but the serial number (312Y3M as best as I can make out) along with the "don't tread on me" seat tube decal would indicate it to be a 93.
Anyhow whatever year it is I'm well pleased with it - just need to get the parts sorted for it and get out riding on it.

grello001.JPG

grello002.JPG

Couple of initial questions
-Any ideas for getting touch up......
-Is there some way of verifying the serial? It's almost unreadable due to the paint thickness (would this indicate a respray?!?) and the fact there's a chip on one of the nos. Doesn't one of the old fat employees have a list or something.

Yo Eddy!

Very nice rutteger! Congrats!

For my touch up paint I simply went to the local car store. I could find perfectly matching blue for my Aquafade there. Don't know whether you will succeed with grello. Just try.

I see you go for red for your grello. Maybe you have seen already, but there is a grello with red detailling on mtb-news.de: http://fotos.mtb-news.de/fotos/showphoto.php/photo/114375/size/big/cat/511/page/1

How is the inside of the frame?

Good luck building!
wink.gif

John

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the positive words chaps :)

The inside of the frame looks clean, which is nice.

Not sure if I'll be building it with red bits or not. Was just trying it out. If anyone has any other pics of grello yos with different colour parts I'd like to see them.

scant

theres a few other pics on mtb-classic.de forum of other grellows. Marc has a real nice 1 :)

John, I dont care if its still not built in time, bring it along to the retro meet @ SSMM in a few wks.. coz I wanna see it :D ... coz its lush :rolleyes:

jo eddy

Another Grello

I think black is the best for a grello one !!!!!

Attachments

• DSCF0004.JPG
    DSCF0004.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 136

John

Administrator
Staff member
Nice grello jo, the black is looking good :D

I've gone for red. Will post pics when it's finished (hopefully next week)

John

Administrator
Staff member
312Y3M lives!

After getting hold of the last few parts last week Yo Eddy 312Y3M was finished off on Friday night. I went out for a quick spin on Saturday and a nice 3 hour ride on Sunday and I have to say I'm genuinely very impressed with the ride. With the 'cult' around Fat City it's easy to loose sight of the fact that these were fine riding bicycles
Fairly happy with the spec, as you can see most of it is reasonably period and 'retro'. The real anomolies are the deore v-brakes (which are to be changed for something more chi-chi), the atac aliums (the blind threads in the toplines meant I couldn't fit my older green atacs) and the mavic 517s. At the end of the day the bike is too be ridden so I ain't too fussed.
At some point in the future I may have to fit a red king headset to balance the red bits and change the flat 15 stem to something slightly shorter with a little rise.
Having not ridden off road in anger without suspension forks since 1996 I originally intended to fit a set of old 1" Judys. However despite taking a bit more of a battering than I'm used to I think I'll stick with the Yo fork. It seems rude not to.

Anyhow here's a few pictures for you :)

grelloyo001.JPG

grelloyo002.JPG

grelloyo003.JPG

John

Administrator
Staff member
One finished Yo

Finally got round to finishing to Yo off, here's a few pics. Gave up on getting hold of a pair of Paul's monolites for a sensible price so went for M900 XTR cantis with Paul's moon units. Do the job and certainly more period.

y903tm.jpg

y903tk.jpg

y903tl.jpg

Full spec

Frame : 1993 Fat Chance Yo Eddy
Fork : Yo Eddy
Headset : Chris King
Stem : Syncros
Handlebar : WTB Ti
Grips : ODi
Brakes : Shminao XTR M900 c/w Paul's Moon Units
Brake Levers : Real X-Levers
Shifters : Shimao Deore XT thumbshifters
Front Derailleur : Shminao XTR M900
Rear Derailleur : Shminao XTR M900
Cassette : Shimano XT
Chain : Shimano HG70
Cranks : Topline SL
Bottom Bracket : Shimano
Pedals : Time Atac Alium
Rims : Mavic 517
Hubs : Hope Ti-Glide, Middleburn
Tyres : Ritchey Z-Max 2.1 WCS
Saddle : Flite Titanium
Seatpost : Syncros 7075
Weight : 23.3 lb

Yo Eddy!

Love it with the red detailing. Makes it spicy and it is up to the Grello - perfect match!

I would go for m900 canti's instead of Paul anyway.

fat-tony

Staff member
beautiful

Such a great looking ride! Is all the componentry NOS? I guess Scant would rather see it in Team Violet though. :)

John

Administrator
Staff member
Cheers guys
biggrin.gif

I reckon the red looks the ticket with grello. Not red overload but a few details.

None of the parts are NOS, most have had light use. The exception are the thumbies which have had years of use and are still going strong
cool.gif
. Anyhow this Yo is no garage queen so NOS would've been a waste.

Scant knows Grello is where it's at !

John

Administrator
Staff member
Nice Grello forestwarrior. Is that yours? Looks like a pretty trick build (cnc cantis and mech).

scant

"guess Scant would rather see it in Team Violet though"

Nar, FAT team colours over the years, grellow & team violet.. so its nice to have both :D

good work rutteger :)