Paint Job

visitor

Hey Guys,

I have a few questions for all those that had their FAT's repainted.

1.) Where / Who did you have paint the frame?
2.) How much did your paint job cost?
3.) Did you keep the original paint colors?
4.) Powdercoat or not?

Looking into getting my newly aquired Yo! Eddy painted.

Thanks!

biggrin.gif

visitor

Hey BillyD, Thanks I like their work, their prices look good as well!

During college hockey season I usually get up that way. I could drop off the frame and head over to Gilded Otter for some beers. ;)

rick

Painting

I had a few bikes painted at Artglow in Georgia. I don't recall the exact prices, but I think that a basic paint job with me supplying the decals was about $150-200.
For a bike that they had to make vinyl decals, I think that it was about $50 more. They can also have repairs done if needed. They only do wet paint, you can check out their site at airglowpainting.com. The quality was pretty good, nice folks too.
Some of the early Fats came with powder coat, but I have not seen many.
If you have seen the cow paint job posted recently on this site, you know that Viscious Cycles does some awesome work. They don't work cheap and they take some time, but great work. There are also some people on this list that say very good things about Russ Picket and D & D in California.
As for staying original, if it is a bike that you pan to ride (rather than hang on the wall), I say go for what you like. If it fits the era of the bike's manfacture, that's cool, but you can always have it painted again if you want to go strictly original.

visitor

Hey Rick,

Looks like airglowpaint has their hands full and is not accepting new business. So far I am really impressed with vicious cycles! I think you are right about painting the frame what I want. After all each FAT is a custom fat in one way or another. As long as it is a FAT that is what matters. ;)

I have some ideas kicking around....

-Vis

visitor

Frame is on it's way to Vicious Cycles for it's repaint. Looking to do a blue to dark blue jagged fade, should go well with the parts I have in mind for it. Also have the LBS looking into some fork options for me. Painted, decaled, taxed, and shipped should be about $525 total cost. They estimate 8 weeks turn around.

Thanks for the help guys!