Help - Monster advice

TeddVanB

Hi all:

Looking for some help on my '91 Monster. I am original owner, and the bike hasn't been ridden in 15+ years. It is pristine, no dings, rust, etc. But my original Rock Shox RS-1 forks died long ago, and the decals have all peeled off (only a bit of Frank is showing). Other than that, the bike is perfect. As I started looking to fix what I thought were two minor things, I've come across so much conflicting/confusing info. My goal is to get the bike back on the road so I can ride with my young sons (nothing serious), but I don't want to do anything to reduce its value. Other people tell me to sell it and buy new bikes for the whole family. So I throw the following questions out there to the Fat Cogs community:

(1) Decals/paint. I've found decals but can only get them sent to a painter. My LBS tells me not to paint because it doesn't need it and it will detract from its value. Ditto on frame saver, which I was going to do as a precaution, but was told that it can detract from the value. So do I paint just so I can get the decals, or do I stick with a beautiful black frame sans decals? Or can I do decals and just a clearcoat, maybe?

(2) Forks. Hippie Tech won't rebuild the RS-1. With 1" threaded steerer, my suspension options appear to be Mag 21 or Judy, unless I find a RS-1 on e-bay or craigslist. Everyone on this blog seems to favor rigid, but that seems pricey, and there is apparently a long wait for Groovy or Igleheart. Will the added length of the Mag 21 or Judy throw off the geometry too much or detract from the bike? Recommendations?

Thanks in advance for your help.

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
Framesaver = yes, do it.

Decals = naw, don't worry about it.

Paint = if it doesn't NEED it, I wouldn't.

Fork = they came stock in '91 with Spinner chromo forks which are fairly easy to find. Alternatively, a Tange Mtn fork is also about the same deal. Other non-suspension corrected forks should be fine too. If your RS-1s are clean, drop them on eBay ending on a Sunday with some nice pics and you should easily make enough to buy a suitable rigid fork.

Get 'er going again!

fat-tony

Staff member
yo-Nate-y has given some good advance to you. I wanted to know if you have tried: http://shockspital.com/ for a re-build on your susy fork. I have never used them, but hear good things. Don't know if they work on your particular fork but give them a shout. :cool:

TeddVanB

Thanks

Thank you both for some excellent advice. It look like I will be doing a bit of both. Shockspital is going to take a look at the RS-1--thinks it may be a simply fix that's worth looking into before spending bigger $ for a replacement fork. Frame saver is going in this weekend, and it looks like I can do decals with just a clearcoat. Win-win situation. Thank you both. I will post pictures when it's back on the road.

TeddVanB

Tires

Any thoughts on tires? I have an original set of Avocet Cross, but no clue where my trail tires ended up. Looking at the rear end, I don't think I can fit a Ground Control 2.5, which I always liked as for its suspension effect. The Smoke/Dart combination seems popular, but I've never ridden these. Tioga Farmer Johns were also good back in the day. Of course, this assumes I can find any of these.

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
Check out First FLight Bikes. They have NOS and repro skinwall tires if you want the vintage look. The TimbukII's are quite nice, if narrow.

Bucky

timbuk II from firstflight would be my advice too.

back to the paint: in german oldschool mtb board a new paint really would decrease the value. it's better to sell a frame with some scratches and maybe damages (of the paint!) than to repaint it. most of the people would be happy to buy the original paint. :) that's considered normal, no matter what brand of bike you want to sell. maybe in case of FATs it wouldn't decrease the value, if rody of groovy cycleworks did the repaint. ;) but i wouldn't check this out.

TeddVanB

Shockspital

yo-Nate-y has given some good advance to you. I wanted to know if you have tried: http://shockspital.com/ for a re-build on your susy fork. I have never used them, but hear good things. Don't know if they work on your particular fork but give them a shout. :cool:

Great advice Tony. I give a big thumbs up to BRose at Shockspital. My original RS-1 is now back, minty new, and better than ever. I highly recommend Shockspital for anyone who needs vintage shock service or repair.

IF52

Great advice Tony. I give a big thumbs up to BRose at Shockspital. My original RS-1 is now back, minty new, and better than ever. I highly recommend Shockspital for anyone who needs vintage shock service or repair.

Also thumbs up for Brian. Excellent work and excellent person.