chainstay protection stickers

kevin881

I got my Yo back from a fresh paintjob at Vicious. I need to get a chainstay protection sticker thingy. I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation on which brand to use, where to find it, etc.

Thanks.

MikeyNYC

kevin881 said:
I got my Yo back from a fresh paintjob at Vicious. I need to get a chainstay protection sticker thingy. I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation on which brand to use, where to find it, etc.

Thanks.

Kevin,

I like to use this clear rubber (vinyl?) 3/4" hose stuff that you can get at any decent hardware store. It fit's nicely down the length of a round Fat City chain stay and then I just cut it to size and use zip ties to keep it on there and it covers the entire stay from any blemishes...If you're concerned about water or moisture getting up and under it, you can see through it and always remove the zip ties and wipe it down and zip tie it again.

I'm just not a big fan of of the adhesive "chainstay protection sticker thingy" because of the sticky gooey removal factor, but of course another solution could just be to get a Lizard Skin chainstay protection thingy...Post some photos of the new paint job! :)

Michael-NYC

Yo Eddy!

With one bike I used an old, but decent looking tyre, I cut the middle/knobbed section and zip tied it. It looks tough (what I did like for that particular bike) and it does the job of protecting the stay.

kevin881

thanks for the replies guys. Yeah, I have the lizard skin thing, but figured with this new paintjob that the adhesive would be like insurance. the paint is too pretty.

I will post some photos in the builders corner later tonight.

bruce t

Hey Kevin, the other problem is the dinging of the chain on downhills -- you can buy a carbon or aluminum sticky-on thing, I always wrapped a road bike innertube around the chainstay, w/ rubberglue (to itself) and strap ties on the ends. Quiets it right down, and protects the chainstay. Your chain will cut through it eventually, but it's cheap to replace.

Cheers, bt