• All For Sale Adverts Must Have A Price !

Wicked Fat Chance

Stonewizard

1992 Wicked Fat Chance
Full Shimano Deore DX group! down to the pedals!
Mavic Oxygen M6 wheels laced to Deore DX hubs
original Fat City True Temper bars
original Fat City (made by Specialized) saddle

Shifters brakes and drivetrain in perfect shape, 7 speed cassette in great shape, as are the chainrings and chain. Wheels are true, axles and bearings are smooth and spin perfectly for days, as well as a perfect headset and bb. Decals still in place, black powder coat paint with zany lime green powder coat fork. Minor signs of wear, a few paint nicks here and there, a crackle or two in the decals, all very very minor stuff. The bike is awesome. $1,000, firm, and you know why.

In Manhattan, but if you gotta have it i can ship it. We'll figure out a fair cost for postage from my LBS.

Attachments

• -2.jpg
    -2.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 78
  • -3.jpg
    -3.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 57
  • -4.jpg
    -4.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 76

Stonewizard

Because it really doesnt fit me, and i need the money. Believe me, i'm not parting with it lightly; i've wanted a Fat Chance since i was a teen, and this Wicked is a real beauty. But holding on to a bike which doesnt fit, just for nostalgia's sake, just doesnt make sense. Dig?

Doug Carter

Staff member
I'm guessing he was questioning your comment about price, firm and the "you know why." We all know what these are worth, and how much they usually sell for. You might be a bit optimistic on the price with DX components, but it's always better to start high and work your way down to where it sells.

FWIW, I picked up my almost perfect '90 Wicked not a year and a half ago for about $600, just for reference.

Nice bike, though, good luck with the sale. ;)

Stonewizard

Aha! I see....
Well, "why" is because they're worth that much. Sure, deals can be found, but you have to search for em and lots of people don't feel up for that (sooner or later). Also, when you found yours a year and a half ago there may have been more people selling them, or more people in your area, or who knows. I've seen the prices go up and down; though usually when i've seen the lower prices it's on bikes perhaps with component upgrades but which have been ridden hard and/or do not have original paint/decals. This bike really truly is like it came out of a time machine; you'd have to see it and ride it. And we all know what great bikes they are in and of themselves, but there's also their historic value. Admittedly, "historic value" is primarily subjective, but it's still a real consideration. And last but not least, i'm in NYC, and finding used/vintage bikes here is in no way easy. Everything/place has been picked over, you're not going to find a "garage sale" anywhere in Manhattan. So, for the urban New Yorker, a Wicked Fat Chance like this, at this price, is a deal.

I figured most likely in this forum there wouldnt be any bites, that most everyone here already HAS their Fat Chance and if anyone here is buying anything it's either going to be a very specific search for a part/component or an undeniable rarity. But, what the hell, cant hurt to let y'all know i'm selling it.

Stonewizard

And, i'll just add: we ALL know that for our money we could buy new, contemporary mountain bikes, with all sorts of modern improvements on components and frames and wheels etc. In fact, that's undoubtedly what the majority of us ride most of the time anyhow. But, if we're logged in HERE to this forum, it is because we have a love for those great old bikes that Chris Chance and his crew built by hand all those years ago. As well as no small ammount of nostalgic affinity for the old days and the old components et al. That's where the value lies as well. ****, i could go buy a brand new Bianchi at my LBS with modern suspension and disc brakes and ride the hell out of it for the $600 you spent on your Fat Chance, but do i want to? Nope.

IF52

I think I'm going to have to agree with Nate and Doug on this one. Maybe take a look at recent completed auctions on ebay to get a better idea what Fats are really selling for.

Stonewizard

Boys, boys, boys, i've kept track of bids on eBay for Fat Chance bikes for two years. I've also watched them on craigslist. If you're not interested in purchasing it, that's fine. Nobody's forcing it on you. It's just a listing in the For Sale section of this site. Thank you.

Doug Carter

Staff member
No worries, it's your bike and only you know how badly you want to sell it. We all know what they sell for here, like I said. You only need one guy who wants it bad enough to make the sale... good luck with it.

:twocents:

CTYankee

Have patience, don't be in a hurry. See the recent thread by Chevron - I think he ended up selling his frame in the four figure plus range.

Good Fats are getting harder to find - many well used ones come through here and although they sell quicker - they are well used. I can't recall anyone ever being told that they should charge more - those are just sold real quick.

I recently sold a Yo frame set through this forum - the price was into the four figure range. It didn't happen over night. I also had the bike on Craigslist and received other four figure offers via that route. The interest in my bike came from Europe and Silicon Valley. Took 3 or 4 months by the time I actually shipped the bike.

So be patient - biking season is right around the corner - and you can always drop the price.

tvcreative

4 figures

Having been the guy that paid four figures for one of the last two fats made - in virtually brand new condition - with brand new disc brakes, I feel it was a good expenditure.

4 figures for a garden variety mint wicked with DX...hmm, it's a head scratcher.

Someone may do it...not me - but someone might.

HA! - I am too poor paying the frieght on a 99 disc YO I just had to have....

Best wishes

Jim

IF52

Yeah, that's the thing. Your new ride was really quite rare, this Wicked is nice, but much more common, and the DX dulls it down even more. And the photos don't do anything to help establish that it is actually mint, other than the color of the fork.

mainlyfats

Yeah, that's the thing. Your new ride was really quite rare, this Wicked is nice, but much more common, and the DX dulls it down even more. And the photos don't do anything to help establish that it is actually mint, other than the color of the fork.

Totally agree. Quality pictures will back up your claims, new guy.

CTYankee

You may want to consider parting out your bike - anything with "Fat' on them tends to sell very well - like your seat and bar. A frame will also ship to Europe a lot easier than a bike.

I don't know what your bike is worth - the market will determine that. My point in my previous post was somewhat missed - I gave two threads - both by non regulars - where an excellent condition bike was presented for sale and the regulars immediately stated the bike might be overpriced. Now I'm not complaining about that - most were cordial in their statements and we come here for information. I was simply noting that in those two cases they were wrong.

Those comments may or may not be wrong in your case.

tvcreative

Please delete my post and let the guy sell his bike

Administrator....

please remove the post by me, and consider removing some others so that this guy can sell his bike.

if it sells great, if not, it will get ignored along with the millions of other posts.

Frankly, off base or not, this guy has the right to sell his bike for whatever he thinks it's worth without my comment.

thanks

Jim

Doug Carter

Staff member
We're all guilty of trying to tell him what we think his bike will sell for, and we should all stop. If it sells for his asking price, it sells

Stonewizard

Doug and Jim, thank you guys very much; you two seem to be the only cordial voices of reason and sensibility. This FOR SALE POST instantly became a "thread" of a bunch of jerboney opinions - proof positive to me of what i have heard for years, that the forums are chock full of armchair professors perched at their keyboards anxious to be heard.

It gives me no small amount of smug pleasure to tell you all that i sold the bike this morning, for $1,000.

Enjoy the ride.

Last edited by a moderator: