• All For Sale Adverts Must Have A Price !

Fat Chance Beam bike frameset for sale!

daverobb

I have for sale a one of a kind Fat Chance beam bike! If there were more then one made, I have never heard of it. The frame and the fork are the same as a Wicked, just built for a beam. I am sad to see this go, but go it must. Frameset also includes a 1” Chris King headset, Shimano XT bottom bracket and a Softride Alloy stem. This frame is a medium. This was one of the last bikes built in Somerville. Asking $800 obo. Buyer pays actual shipping.

IMG_0470.jpg

IMG_0468.jpg

IMG_0467.jpg

IMG_0466.jpg

IMG_0465.jpg

IMG_0458.jpg

IMG_0457.jpg

Last edited:

I-ROBOT

WOW
I had completely forgotten about that thing! I don't remember who built it. It may have been Gary Mathis who was one of the proponents of suspension. Gary worked mostly in finishing but also did a fair amount of development work on the Shock-a-billy - especially when we were designing our own rear suspension. I'm sure Allsop just gave the beam to Chris in hopes that we would make a production model for it but we went with the conventional rear suspension that was commercially available and seemed to have a better reception in the marketplace.

So cool to see that again. I would bet that is a one-of-a-kind. Honestly not sure if I even welded it. Could have been a night project.

That should sell pretty quickly
Scott

chainline

first, this frame needs to be in the frame registry. second there were a few people building beam bikes, Ritchey, otis guy, breezer to name a few. someone buy this, this is the ugly ducking that turns into a swan. this frame needs to be in first flights collection.

chevron

Beam frame Serial #001

Not surprisingly the Fat Beam Frame serial # is 001A4SM That means it was built in 94 and its a Small Medium ,right ? Frame is in really nice original condition with black metallic original paint . Will start to choose parts for the upcoming build soon & will post pics when completed

I-ROBOT

I believe you would be correct on the serial number decoding. It's not likely that FCC NY would have built anything like that. I do vaguely remember that bike being built. Not sure if I ever rode it.
Scott

Josh

Not the only one!!

I happen to have another FCC "beam bike" and Scott (hi BTW) is correct. These were made by employees who wanted to experiment with alternatives.

My bike does not have the curved top tube because I didn't like the aesthetics of it. I made a secondary tube that supported the beam. Anyway, I'll post a picture soon (I just joined FAT COGS to reply to this post) and you can see it.

Serial # is "666BIKE" because in the process of aligning the frame the down tube buckled and I had to cut it out and replace it. It still has the black krylon paint it left the factory with.

Josh

fat-tony

Staff member
I happen to have another FCC "beam bike" and Scott (hi BTW) is correct. These were made by employees who wanted to experiment with alternatives.

My bike does not have the curved top tube because I didn't like the aesthetics of it. I made a secondary tube that supported the beam. Anyway, I'll post a picture soon (I just joined FAT COGS to reply to this post) and you can see it.

Serial # is "666BIKE" because in the process of aligning the frame the down tube buckled and I had to cut it out and replace it. It still has the black krylon paint it left the factory with.

Josh

Josh:
Welcome to Fatcogs. We love having past employees post here. So glad you found the place. Chime in anytime. :checkeredflag: Post up some photos of your beam bike if you get a chance.

theredchili

......im too late as ever ! i remember seeing a frame similar to this back in the day in a magazine, may not have been a Fat Though, great piece of history

Josh

Here it is...

OK, this is my first time trying to post a picture. Cross your fingers.

I wanted to eliminate any bent tubes from the main triangle, so I ended up having to make the additional tubes to support the Allsop beam. I hand picked the lightested tubes that had been sent to us as samples so it's a relatively light bike.

Components...

Forks, FCC, Big One Inch
Head set, Chris King
Suspension, Allsop Beam and stem
Brakes, Marinovative, Cheap Trick
Cranks/BB, Bullseye
Hubs, High-E
Rims, Mavic
Shifters, Grip Shift
Derailleur F, Sachs
Derailleur R, Campy
Seat, Concor, Supercorsa

It's been used as a urban commuter for many years and needs an overhaul and some paint. The mix 'n match of drivetrain components make shifting kind of a chore, but it mostly works. The biggest improvement I could make would be a complete drive-train form one mfg.

Attachments

• FCC beam bike - small.jpg
    FCC beam bike - small.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 95
Last edited: