Finding a replacement fork for 94 Wicked Lite

wondermoose

I picked up my Fat a few years ago and it came with some Manitou forks that worked wonders on the rolling single track of upstate NY. Well, now I live out west and the rocky terrain just ain't as much fun with my Fat (and, honestly, it isn't as much fun period). I have started transitioning it into my daily commuter and want to swap the suspension in for a rigid fork - I understand that finding a replica is, uh, not cheap so I'm looking for something a little more reasonable. 1" threadless forks are hard to find anyway, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a company that is currently doing replicas (I know Soma used to produce a classic CX fork but discontinued it). Not sure what kind of suspension correction I need or what other measurements might be necessary to maintain the geometry, but any advice is greatly appreciated!

Here's my ride:

xevG5BQ.jpg

u65LRdL.jpg

vOgneCl.jpg

Thanks!

EDIT: After a little more searching, I found this guy: https://www.somafabshop.com/shop/pr...ht-blade-crmo-1-canti-black-4753?category=774

Anyone have any experience with these?

Last edited:

colker

That´s a susp corrected 19 in wicked. Fork is the common unicrown. A good replacement would be a vicious cycles 415mm 1in.

wondermoose

Found a suitable replacement at the local collective. It's a tad shorter (400 axel to crown) but has been a huge improvement over the old suspension. Once this pandemic business is over, it'll be my daily rider... Not much more I need or want to do to it. The rails on this saddle aren't really suited for the old fixed-angle Syncros posts, but it's actually not uncomfortable at all (at least within my 20 mile roundtrip). Maybe a modern crankset, but that's way down the line. Either of you know what the bottom bracket dimensions are? Or if modern tech is even possible on the mid-90s frames?

RU9sLKZ.jpg

Stingercut

Chris King and Cane Creek used to do extra thick headset base plates 5-10mm if you can find one. That will take the A-C closer to 415mm and slacken/correct the ‘twitchier’ front geometry. The BBs are std 68mm shells on these. I have a Cook Broa RSR on mine 127mm axle width. Some of the nice BBs are pretty adjustable to accommodate different shells. Great looking fast bikes that ride great. Enjoy :beer::beer:

colker

Found a suitable replacement at the local collective. It's a tad shorter (400 axel to crown) but has been a huge improvement over the old suspension. Once this pandemic business is over, it'll be my daily rider... Not much more I need or want to do to it. The rails on this saddle aren't really suited for the old fixed-angle Syncros posts, but it's actually not uncomfortable at all (at least within my 20 mile roundtrip). Maybe a modern crankset, but that's way down the line. Either of you know what the bottom bracket dimensions are? Or if modern tech is even possible on the mid-90s frames?

RU9sLKZ.jpg

That´s not a fixed angle seatpost- on the contrary: you can set any angle you want just by tightening and loosing each bolt.
You could have any new bb there since it´s a wicked lite w/ threaded bb shell... but why? Sq tapers do what a BB needs to do.
I am on the rigid fork camp as well. Can´t wait to have a rigid fork on my 00 ibis. So much more fun to have a precise feeling from the front.

TheWheel

Haven't seen this color...sweet! Have a purple WL from that era. Any info on serial # trying to track my build date. Also have front suspension but still ride in new england so...repacked and get my 2" travel.

Attachments

• DSC_0909.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 5

wondermoose

That´s not a fixed angle seatpost- on the contrary: you can set any angle you want just by tightening and loosing each bolt.
You could have any new bb there since it´s a wicked lite w/ threaded bb shell... but why? Sq tapers do what a BB needs to do.
I am on the rigid fork camp as well. Can´t wait to have a rigid fork on my 00 ibis. So much more fun to have a precise feeling from the front.
Forgot to reply last year (who would have thought this "pandemic business" would still be a thing?!), but thanks for that tip - the pieces on the seatpost were just really sticky and I had been too gentle when fiddling around with.

@TheWheel here's my serial: WL19041. No other information on it as I purchased off eBay and wasn't forwarded anymore information. If you know more, I'd love to hear it!

TheWheel

Hmm...mine is a 139W93...which according to IROBOT ex Fat employee from Boston is #139/wicked lite/19" frame/ 1993 build and my frame is "Leslie's Purple" named for an woman who rode and worked for them at the time, color is not part of the serial # i guess? thinking yours was made in NY in 1994. (The shock and v-brakes) but is later then 1992....top tube cable routing starting in 1993. Will keep researching. Live in Western MA and its still a builders/riding area of love.

wondermoose

Hmm...mine is a 139W93...which according to IROBOT ex Fat employee from Boston is #139/wicked lite/19" frame/ 1993 build and my frame is "Leslie's Purple" named for an woman who rode and worked for them at the time, color is not part of the serial # i guess? thinking yours was made in NY in 1994. (The shock and v-brakes) but is later then 1992....top tube cable routing starting in 1993. Will keep researching. Live in Western MA and its still a builders/riding area of love.

Correct, NY build for mine.