Fat City Cycles Frame Registry

ronulrich

SN Decoding???

Folks,

I have a couple of Fats and could use some help figuring out what the serial # means..

I'm the First owner of both..The wicked I bartered hifi equipment for with Sean Gorman of the LL Bean family.. It was from LL Bean Stock and it came built with XT comps, Mavic rims and Salsa stem

The TI came as a frame mail order from out west and I built it up with a laundry list of componants which I will endeavor to compile

Will get photos for both and post..

Frame type: Wicked FAT
Serial Number: 8 0209 w
Year: Late 80's?
Size: 18"
Color: Black with Yellow decals and fork
Owner: Ron

Frame Type: Ti FAT
Serial Number: Will get today
Year: 94ish?
Size: Medium
Color: Ti with Blue Decals

ronulrich

SN Decoding??

Folks,

I have a couple of Fats and could use some help figuring out what the serial # means..

I'm the First owner of both..The wicked I bartered hifi equipment for with Sean Gorman of the LL Bean family.. It was from LL Bean freeport maine store Stock and it came built with XT comps, Mavic rims and Salsa stem

The TI came as a frame mail order from out west and I built it up with a laundry list of componants which I will endeavor to compile

Will get photos for both and post..

Frame type: Wicked FAT
Serial Number: 8 0209 w
Year: Late 80's?
Size: 18"
Color: Black with Yellow decals and fork

Frame Type: Ti FAT
Serial Number: Will get today
Year: 94ish?
Size: Medium
Color: Ti with Blue Decals

cegrover

1985 Fat Chance

Just got this one locally through Ebay. It's an original Nashville bike with a very old Cumberland Transit (local shop) sticker still on it.

1985 Fat Chance #85643 (hard to read last digit, but pretty sure)
Color: Black with white decals
Build: Almost all original - Shimano Deer Head derailleurs and cantis, Suntour XC thumbies and hubs, Sugino AT cranks, Magura brake levers.

I'll be cleaning it up, but won't change much.

Attachments

• IMG_0867s.jpg
    IMG_0867s.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0869s.jpg
    IMG_0869s.jpg
    334.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0874s.jpg
    IMG_0874s.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0868s.jpg
    IMG_0868s.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 30

fatty83

Another 83

Frame type: Fat Chance
Serial Number: 8317
Year: 1983
Size: 21"
Color: Black with White Decals
Owner: Chris

I had another one almost exactly like it but red (w/Phil hubs & TA crank) stolen off my back portch a little over ten years ago. I bought that one new from John Troja.

I have the bmx laprade seatpost for it but I still need to find the shim.

I know the tires are embarrassing but it's really hard to find tires that old.

Attachments

• chance.jpg
    chance.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 51

MikeyNYC

Welcome!

I had another one almost exactly like it but red (w/Phil hubs & TA crank) stolen off my back portch a little over ten years ago. I bought that one new from John Troja.

Chris,

Welcome to the site, you're obviously not new to Fat City!

That is a great bike, are you the original owner?

I think that you deserve a waiver on the new tires considering what happened to your red Fat :( ! Perhaps someone on this site knows the whereabouts of that bike and can try to help reunite you with it? This is the perfect place to try to track it down as it sounds so rare that someone must've spotted it at some point...

colker

if you ever take off that suntour post please sell me.

no-throttle

Great site????

Frame type: Wicked Fat Chance
Serial Number: 772W01
Year: 1989
Color: Green with Black Decals
Owner: Paul

ozcanuck

Another Wicked Frame Lives!

Hi, Y'all:
Having trouble adding another post to the Frame Registry thread, so here's my info:

Wicked Fat Chance
Frame No. - 11369W
Year - 1992 (can anyone confirm this?)
Black with white decals
Full XT (when new!)
American Stem
Tapered fork
Nickname: Stormbringer

Bought almost new in '93 after it had been returned to Fat Chance to fix an out of round crank shell. The original owner would not wait and bought a Rocky Mountain. (Whose laughing now?) It sat in Bastion Cycles (Nanaimo, BC , Canada ), after full repair, for a few months until I made an offer they could not refuse!
It's been thrashed on Vancouver Island, raced, toured, commuted and followed me to Adelaide where it is still my only bike, a trail/commute rig. Needs a bit of work now......mine forever, tho.
Love the site...great for tips and has got me very enthused about fixing up the old beast.
Cheers!

Kinsan

Registering Frame

Hi All,

New to Fat Cogs, here's my rig:

Frame type (Yo!, Wicked, etc.): Yo Eddy Team
Frame number: 383YO4
Year of manufacture: 1994
Frame size: S/M
Color (original and repainted, if applicable): Team colors, purple fade to yellow
Location (city, state, country): Akron, Ohio, USA
Owner name: Brian
Photo, if possible: Attached

Thanks for keeping this registery. The bike I have is awsome! It has been sitting for years, and though the cables and wheels are shot, the frame looks like it is brand new- not even a chip on it! Evan has the team saddle.

I am checking this site almost daily for tips and info. Two notes, anyone catch my weird serial number? Any thoughts ion that? It is pretty clear, so I know I have it right, but it does nto seem to fit the convention.

Also, I am thinking about upgrading the drivetrain and fork with modern stuff, and keeping the old ones if I want to go back to period. Just not sure I want to go on a long ride with 15 year old stuff that has not been used in a decade. Thoughts? Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• 4a72_1_sbl.JPG.jpg
    4a72_1_sbl.JPG.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 5dec_1_sbl.JPG.jpg
    5dec_1_sbl.JPG.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 22

ameybrook

I ride mostly modern, but once and awhile I'll ride some 7-speed XT or Suntour stuff. I tell you, nothing beats the feel of smooth-working 7-speed thumbshifters. The satisfying 'clunk' is pretty sweet. The brakes are going to leave you wanting more... but Vs should be fine on that bike.

Its very nice, and you got it for a song, IMO

rthomer

Frame Registry

Hi All, New to FAT Cogs and enjoyong it

Frame type: Monster
Frame number:240M1M
Year of manufacture: 1991
Frame size: Medium
Color (original and repainted, if applicable): Pink, repainted Chameleon Purple, soon to be resprayed
Owner name: Robert Thomer
Photo, if possible:

Attachments

• MonsterFAT 008.jpg
    MonsterFAT 008.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 55
  • MonsterFAT 008b.jpg
    MonsterFAT 008b.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 34

ozcanuck

I've been browsing the registry thread and I'm still not sure what year my Wicked is...I'm assuming it's around 1992, coz that's when I got it, but the S/N is a bit different fromthe usual 90-94 format.

It's: 11369W

Anyone have any ideas of where and when it was built?
I always assumed it was quad butted Tru-Temper as well. Maybe Triple butted?

ozcanuck

Hmmm...perusing the FirstFlightBikes Fat serial list and it looks like the "9W" on the end would indicate a 1989 built frame.
Anyone have tubeset specs?

rick

wicked

I think that you right about the year, but I do not think that the Wicked ever used quad butted (but I believe that the YO did, and maybe the 10th).

If you check the catalogs they will tell some of this info. Without checking, I am guessing double butted tubing.

Does anyone have a catalog handy to confirm or refute?

colker

I think that you right about the year, but I do not think that the Wicked ever used quad butted (but I believe that the YO did, and maybe the 10th).

If you check the catalogs they will tell some of this info. Without checking, I am guessing double butted tubing.

Does anyone have a catalog handy to confirm or refute?

i bet double butted front triangle on the wicked w/straight gauge 4130 on the rear stays. now the wicked lite....

ozcanuck

Thanks for that...I think you are right about the tubes...the Yo was the only one I could find with quad-butted actually stated. How about the Wicked Lite?

How cool is it that guys from Australia, Brazil and the USA are discussing their Fat's?
I'm so glad I still have mine. Soon to be shiny and newish again and still in steady use.
BTW Go you Hurricanes!
Cheers from Oz!
;)

Ps Speaking of Wicked, very nice pix Colker!

colker

Thanks for that...I think you are right about the tubes...the Yo was the only one I could find with quad-butted actually stated. How about the Wicked Lite?

How cool is it that guys from Australia, Brazil and the USA are discussing their Fat's?
I'm so glad I still have mine. Soon to be shiny and newish again and still in steady use.
BTW Go you Hurricanes!
Cheers from Oz!
;)

Ps Speaking of Wicked, very nice pix Colker!

thanks a lot! i never found any specifics on the lite tubeset... it was being built at the same time line as the 10th and the quadbutted yo. otoh it's tubes are slim thus very different from the yo.

Yo Eddy!

I doubt whether the 10th uses Quad butted tubing. Always assumed 10th was an early development of 2nd gen Yo tubing. 1st gen was Quad, 2nd 3ple TT OX3.

Btw I do not know what informations on quality the # of butts contains :confused: Some time ago read a story on what the # of butts denotes. Do not remember how the story was exactly, but I do know there was a lot misinformation and marketing concerned in communication by companies.

colker

I doubt whether the 10th uses Quad butted tubing. Always assumed 10th was an early development of 2nd gen Yo tubing. 1st gen was Quad, 2nd 3ple TT OX3.

Btw I do not know what informations on quality the # of butts contains :confused: Some time ago read a story on what the # of butts denotes. Do not remember how the story was exactly, but I do know there was a lot misinformation and marketing concerned in communication by companies.

triple butted has always always been mentioned as a lighter compliant and tough front triangle.

Retrobikeguy

Ok,

Finally :D I have a fat on the way thanks to another forum member, so I had better register.

Long time poster on retrobike so some of you guys may know of me, some not - so Hi ;)
This is different from my usual type of bike as it has Tubes, Yup, I like the old carbon stuff normally - but I guess you just get lured in by the whole fat & fatcogs thang.

Frame type: Yo Eddy
Frame number: 345Y4M
Year of manufacture: 1994
Frame size: Medium
Color : Team Violet , probably to be resprayed - dunno what yet though:confused:
Owner name: Retrobikeguy/Lee

Photo, from the Ad