Wanted: Deore XT 6 Speed Cassette Hubset

wryte64

Recently repainted and overhauled my 1987 Fatchance Kicker. Upon inspection of the wheels cracks were discovered on both rims near some of the spokes. My original hubs are pretty beat and the bike shop couldn't locate new cones for them. My options are to either get a new wheelset, which will mean not just buying new wheels, but a derailleur, chain, and freewheel, which would be a drag as the cassette and chain are brand new and the derailleur is just fine, or to seek out an original Deore XT 6 speed cassette hubset. I've looked on eBay and have only seen ones at just under $300, which after factoring new rims, spokes, and the cost of labor, would be more expensive then the first option.

So my question is: does anybody have those hubs for sale, or maybe even know where I could locate cones for my hubs. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

mainlyfats

If nothing comes of this, consider widening your search. You need a new 100/130 (if you really want a pair), but you don't necessarily have to get XT. Sansin & Suzue came on contemporary builds as well and are significantly cheaper. Campy Euclid (you won't find a better quality cup/cone hub than Campy) were available in 130 thread-on, too. Suntour XCD, etc. should also be available at reasonable price.

You might even be able to find gently used Bullseye or Phil Wood.

wryte64

I didn't even consider other brands. Thank you. I will look for the ones you suggested and see what I can find. I'm not restoring it to original specs by any means, really just preserving it so it will last many more years, so it doesn't have to necessarily be Deore XT.

wryte64

One question: would a Shimano cassette work with Suntour hubs? I found a decent priced pair of XC hubs on eBay.

mainlyfats

One question: would a Shimano cassette work with Suntour hubs? I found a decent priced pair of XC hubs on eBay.

You used both freewheel and cassette above. I'm assuming that you actually have a 6spd freewheel in hand, but if you truly do have a brand new 6spd Shimano XT cassette (just cogs without the engagement mechanism), then no, you'll have to stick with something with a 6spd Shimano-style cassette body.