• All For Sale Adverts Must Have A Price !

Preparing to sell a 1995 Fat Chance Yo Eddy Team

schneidw

Wow.. just got turned onto this site from a Fat Chance fanatic at MTBR.com; Its obvious anybody accessing this site is a similar fan... I am looking for insights.. Essentially, I am a 3 time Fat Chance owner... 87 Fat, 91 Wicked and my current hardtail.. 95 Yo Eddy.. My problem is that I have always ridden (stupidly) a 19" frame that is too small for me... I always like the tight feel of the smaller bike... Anyways, after 2 stints in physical therapy for a bad back I am resigned to the fact that I need a 21" frame and am going to sell my beloved Yo Eddy... In a perfect world, I much prefer to sell to a fat fanatic than to some bike collector on eBay.. What I don't have a sense is what the true and fair to both sides value is of the bike.. I plan to post on MTBR and prefer to set a price versus best offer... In summary, the bike has a 98 or 99 Judy SL/ 1 year old XT wheels w Mavic 517/ 1-year old XT drivetrain/ Cook Bros cranks, Salsa Stem & seatpost/ XT V brakes and WTB seat.. Bike rides like its new... paint is OK.. I can post a picture shortly

Any thoughts on the topic would be greatly appreciated.. Thank You... Bill please drop me a line at william.h.schneider@westonsolutions.com

schneidw

1995 Yo Eddy Team Pictures Attached

Here are 2 pictures I quickly took of the bike.. a few other details I overlooked are the XTR rear hub/ Crhis King headset and WTB Laser rims

Attachments

• fat chance 2.JPG
    fat chance 2.JPG
    252.8 KB · Views: 153
  • fat chance 3.JPG
    fat chance 3.JPG
    247.3 KB · Views: 67

lucifer

Strip it of parts and sell just the frame, find a new frame you like and swap everything over.
Financially speaking you will probably do better that way then selling it as a whole bike.

schneidw

Yo Eddy

Lucifer: Thank You for sharing your thoughts on the topic; I like your idea.. Have you seen any similar frames sold recently to give me an idea on a reasonable price? Thanks WHS

Yo Eddy!

Hi Schneidw,

So your current is a 19" and you want a 21", what means you have already L and you want a XL??? What is your frame # ?

If so I think it will be pretty though to find one. It will be even more difficult to find a XL in the very Cool colour Team Violet :cool:

schneidw

Yo Eddy (more info)

I dug through my archives and found the original reciepts and the original card that came w the frame. Kinda cool, about 15 folks from Fat City signed the card and actually one dude signed it "if my welds were alchohol they would be Louis 14th Cognac.. from Welda-X"

The card states Model as Yo Eddy Team and Size is M/L and Serial # as 740Y3ML and made in Somerville MA

I purchased the frame in 4/94 so I was wrong about the date...

Thank you for the suggestions and ideas... In a perfect world I would be able to find an L/XL Fat City frame but I am not hopeful. At this point, I would like to find my Fat a good home at a price favorable to both parties. What that price may be is not clear to me... used bikes are a real mystery when it comes to value... especially handmade bikes

lucifer

All I am saying is it would cost you more to replace those parts then they would add to the value of the bike.

As for what it would go for only the market will tell.
Better pics of the frame itself would help.
It's got a lot going for it. Rare size, rare and desirable color, mass made.

Mojo Troll

That is a nice looking fat you got there. My favorite color.

I just recently listed a 93 BuckSahver in Team Violet on e bay. The post is a couple below on yours here. Only a couple of people bid. The high bid was $610 (reserve was'nt meet).

As mentioned, it all depends on the market and who see's it and "cant live without it". You never know, I might list mine in a couple of months again and it get a $1500 bid.

Ironically, I got over twenty e mails from cogs off e bay, mtbr.com and here on Fat Cogs after the bike did'nt sell in show of support. For now I'm going to sit on it.

It's more like finding an adoptive parent for a Fat than it is selling it. You always want it to go to a good home, where it will be appreciated and enjoyed. Thats what it was built for.

Its understood that you can't ride this size frame anymore. Don't get discouraged if it does'nt sell immediatly. I like your thoughts on trying to find a good home rather than make a lot of money.

Personally, I don't like the idea of parting out such bikes. I've spend enough money in replacing worn and broken parts to build three custom bikes. Every part on it has a memory. I'd much rather find someone to sell the entire bike to and share a couple of those memories with perhaps. Parting it out just seems like trying to make more money or get it out of your hair.

Good luck. I hope you find a good home, shes a beauty.

schneidw

Yo Eddy

Mojo: Thank you for sharing your insights on the topic. I concur w you entirely. Geez, I can't believe your BuckShaver didnt recieve bids in the neighborhood of $800 since the parts and conditions are both top notch. Its really bizarre how the price ranges fluctuate so widely wrt retro steel bikes ... Makes you wonder.. where the heck are all the early 90s Ibis/Fat/Ritchey/Bontrager etc that were all the rage? Its crazy because the mass public are all riding FS so the market should be flooded with dusty steel rigid bikes from this era.

Doug Carter

Staff member
ACK! That's the frame, year, size and color I have been searching for since I started this site!!! I think I just drooled on the desk.

It's a '93, and the M/L was an 18" frame. That's the bike I was riding in my avatar photo. How much do you want for the frame?

redface.gif
redface.gif
redface.gif
redface.gif
redface.gif
redface.gif
redface.gif

schneidw

irony

Hello Doug,

How ironic! Based on this cool website, there is no person that I would rather have my Fat Chance than yourself... At this point, I am not interested in selling the frame alone unless I can find a 21" frame w 1" headset to replace it... otherwise I am stuck w a bunch of parts that I may not be able to use. I am keeping my eye out to see what I can find... might have access to a Merlin but I think its a similar/identical size frame (eg not a 21"). I am open to suggestions and reasonable offers on the bike... Thanks Bill

Yo Eddy!

@Doug

Hi Doug, BTW did you already found all purple parts you wanted for your Wicked Lite? Do show us some pics when done. I remember your bike as one of the nicest 90s FATs I have seen so far

Melvin

Doug Carter

Staff member
I have collected all of the parts I wanted, for the most part, and they are on the Wicked. I even have been collecting early Judy SLs and parts for a restoration when I find the Yo frame. Pretty much everything I have on the Wicked would be transferred to the Yo (whenever).

I'll take some pics of the Wicked Lite as it sits now. It's fairly different looking than the last photos I posted of the bike.

Bill, I have waited a LONG time in the search for this frame. I have no problem waiting however long it takes for you to find a suitable replacement frame. Like I mentioned, I have been searching for a while for this frame. I bought my original in '94 AFTER the end of the Mass. production, and mine was also one of the last '93s sold. Your M/L made me do a triple-take with the yellow fork. I actually thought for a split second that it may have even been my old bike (then I snapped out of it). I sold mine to a fellow in Georgia in '96 or '97.

Now, I'll also keep my eyes open for an XL or a 20-21" frame for ya. I know there are a couple guys here wo have large collections with a lot of LARGE frames in them, that might have something to sell. You never know, this is a pretty good little network of Fat Cogs. ;)

doug

Doug Carter

Staff member
Also, is there a dent on the passenger side of the toptube? I think mine had a scar in the exact same spot (handlebars spin fast when you hit things like trees).

yo' djblu

I have to say this sounds very exciting for u doug. What a great thing this would be to get your hands on that bike :) I will keep my fingers crassed for ya!

scarrylarry

There is a passenger side? I thought that was called the stoker seat? No Wait thats a tandem. Where can I get this upgrade? I could use a second seat.

schneidw

Yo Eddy reprise

Hi Doug, yes to the ding on the top tube. I looked over the frame last night and there is also a ding on the lower downtube.. certainly another reason to value steel over aluminum or carbon... I will clean the bike up and post more close up pictures. The paint certainly show normal (IMHO) wear and tear of eastern PA mountain biking... I move to NM in 99' and mostly ride a FS due to my lower back injury so the Yo Eddy has seen plenty of rest since...

I will be patient wrt looking for an XL but at some point will try and sell the bike as a whole and will surely give you first right to refusal; At this point, I am inclined to ask for $825 for the Yo Eddy given the brand new XT drivetrain and custom wheels, plus recent fork rebuild. Hope we can work something out...I just pose the question, why not consider buying my Yo Eddy and swapping parts and selling your Wicked?

Mojo Troll

Go Doug Go.....you can doooo it.

After all, the memories and passion of your original Team Violet Yo is what inspired you to start this site.

It's got your name written all over it.

schneidw

Yo Eddy

Hi Doug,

I might have found a 92 Bontrager (Yack!).. Has the 1" headtube so I can swap parts but I am leerry of the geometry... 71-74... May not climb like a Fat Chance

How serious are you about this Fat? You havent thrown out a $ number for the frame and I have not heard from you directly... Should I assume you are gonna pass?

No worries if thats the case

Thanks
WHS