• All For Sale Adverts Must Have A Price !

'93 BuckShaver/ very rare

lucifer

Yo Eddy! said:
Only rust I see is at the outside and that can be treated very well. Don't read or see anything on inside rust, except for that the frame is structural okay. Maybe the buyer informed hisself on this issue and does know more than we do.

What about NOS Yo's that sell for 800-900? Bought an NOS E-stay Panasonic MC-Comp yetserday. The Yo's are about 20 times more expensive, but are they also 20 times as good? Doubt whether they are only twice as good. Provide the Yo's 20 times more fun? You're kidding! Well, at least not for me. Value is in the eye of the beholder :)

Well 800-900 for a NOS yo is, technically speaking, a good deal. Considering that they sold for $1050 new and that is before ten years worth of dollar devaluation. Apples to apples a new old stock yo should be worth about $1300 or so just to account for inflation.
Of course true value is determined by the market, which is what is really beautiful about ebay. It truly is the closest thing we have to a truly open world market.

lucifer

Yo Eddy! said:
Only rust I see is at the outside and that can be treated very well. Don't read or see anything on inside rust, except for that the frame is structural okay. Maybe the buyer informed hisself on this issue and does know more than we do.

What about NOS Yo's that sell for 800-900? Bought an NOS E-stay Panasonic MC-Comp yetserday. The Yo's are about 20 times more expensive, but are they also 20 times as good? Doubt whether they are only twice as good. Provide the Yo's 20 times more fun? You're kidding! Well, at least not for me. Value is in the eye of the beholder :)

The panasonic while no doubt a cool bike never had anywhere near the cult following that fats had.

Yo Eddy!

lucifer said:
Well 800-900 for a NOS yo is, technically speaking, a good deal. Considering that they sold for $1050 new and that is before ten years worth of dollar devaluation. Apples to apples a new old stock yo should be worth about $1300 or so just to account for inflation.
Of course true value is determined by the market, which is what is really beautiful about ebay. It truly is the closest thing we have to a truly open world market.

Speaking of good deals: Last year a NOS 2nd gen Carbolite Miyata frameset (HBall raced them) that was about the same price as a Yo frame back then, went for $65 on the bay.

Yo Eddy!

lucifer said:
The panasonic while no doubt a cool bike never had anywhere near the cult following that fats had.

Think the Japanese were more serious on quality, where others were serious on creating images (can one be serious on creating images :confused: ). Of course Fat Chance is much more than that, but I think the later applied to A LOT brands. The Pana is understated quality, hence very Cool ....It may not have the Cult following, but maybe I am not a follower type of guy :D

schneidw

frame value

No doubt that a "new" yo eddy frame is worth about $800; especially considering an new independent fab frame goes for around $1500 if I recall; Interesting point wrt the undervalue of certain brands for whatever reason... I would add Bridgestone to the list of killer frame for the $$$$... Also, I noticed the Bontrager Race Light frames barely sell for $200 in eBay... From what I know, a very well handmade frame so why don't they hold their value like a Yo Eddy frame? Where they mass produced??

By the way, what the heck does NOS stand for??????

Doug Carter

Staff member
New in the package or brand new unused parts that have never been on a bike before. Like buying current stuff new, but they are old parts.

biggrin.gif

lucifer

schneidw said:
No doubt that a "new" yo eddy frame is worth about $800; especially considering an new independent fab frame goes for around $1500 if I recall; Interesting point wrt the undervalue of certain brands for whatever reason... I would add Bridgestone to the list of killer frame for the $$$$... Also, I noticed the Bontrager Race Light frames barely sell for $200 in eBay... From what I know, a very well handmade frame so why don't they hold their value like a Yo Eddy frame? Where they mass produced??

By the way, what the heck does NOS stand for??????

And I will be the first person to say that while indys are nice (i have one of their road bikes)... they aren't fats. If anything a new yo eddy would be worth more to me than a new indy fab.
Bonty's are alright too but I think a yo eddy or buck shaver is a much better bike in terms of both design and execution.

Mojo Troll

E bay is an interesting monster. It's by far the easiest way and most requignized way to get an item viewed on the market. The more people that view it. The better chance you have of selling it. Sometimes the particular item might sell high, other times low. Due to people looking for a bargain. It's all about timing and getting the product out there.

In two autions I have had well over seventy viers watching the auction both times. Yet only three bids in two auctions. Ironically, I received a couple dozen e mails after both auctions offering me what I could have gotten for the frame, HS and post sold stripped.

I realize I could easily get $500-800 selling the frame, fork, stem, post and wheelset individually. The rest of the parts I could easily throw on my girlfriends bike. Thats not what I want to do.

I'm looking for someone that will actually ride it. Not a collector needing another piece of garage art.

Doug Carter

Staff member
PLEASE don't take this the wrong way, but I need to ask, do you want to sell it for the most you can/what it's worth or do you want it to go to a good home to be flogged and ridden like it was made to be?

I don't think you will be able to do both, and here's why I'd say that:

The individuals who will pay a lot for a Fat are those most likely to restore it and keep it in a pristine state. Those who will want to ride it hard and enjoy the best of what Fats have to offer, are likely to not want to pay a premium for a "used" bike, or they'd buy a contemporary bike to ride hard. The third type of buyer for this bike is one who would buy it to flip; or dismantle and sell as parts. This buyer won't pay a premium, either, as they are looking to make money on the effort.

I know it's a conundrum, but the old school guys are a weird group.

I'd consider myself the second type of potential buyer. It's not a restoration project to me, as it doesn't (yet) have the type of intrinsic value to the Fat world as something a bit more coveted (read: Yo Eddy, Team Comp, Fat Ti, etc). I am looking for a daily rider just like this, but I don't know if the rest of the component package on the bike is to my taste, and I can't justify the added costs to buy just a frame (and I don't have the time or patience right now to market the rest of the parts). I'm sure you've heard that plenty before from many other suitors, though.

Was your BIN your reasonable asking price for the bike, or was it a "post it and see if anyone bites" kind of price?

doug

Mojo Troll

Doug,

Certainly was'nt taken in a bad or wrong way at all.

The BIN price of $900 in the second auction I was trying to set a ceiling price so to speak. The reserve was $750. Thats the minimum I would take. Other wise it can hang in the garage for twenty years or be converted into a single speed commuter.

It's safe to say I can spot someone thats looking to flip the bike and turn a profit. Been dealing with that bunch for three months now. Long before it went to the bay. Although the bay hounds have come out in droves as soon as the auctions end.

I never wanted to list the bike on e bay to begin with. Unfortunatly it reaches the largest mass and has a better chance of selling. The area I live has a decent road bike scene. Most of the mountain biking around here is geared towards DH/FR seeing how we're at the foot hills of the Sieraa Nevadas. The XC group is generally geared towards full suspension these days. 95% of cyclist locally would scratch thier ass if you mentioned Fat City.

$750-$900 is what I will let it got for. Anyone who has takin the time to e mail me and ask about the bike has gotten a lengthy response about the bikes history. Followed by lenghty responses if they have more questions.

In the past month. I've purchased a frame and wheelset off ebay. Fork off pinkbike and currently working on a deal for a set of disc brakes on mtbr. On all of these purchases I 've communicated rigoriosly with the seller either via e mail or on the phone. Personally I would'nt buy or sell and decent amount of money item to anyone that was'nt communicating extremely well. If you arent willing to communicate, your obviously not that interested. It's that simple.

lucifer

Just singlespeed it. I love my singlespeed buck. You could easily trade/sell your ck wheels for more than enough to get a full kit of WI eno stuff.