24" Fat City Cyles

lml999

24" Fat City Cycles

A really interesting bike -- 24" wheels, built for an employee in 1984 or thereabouts. My uncle ran a shop in Philadelphia, The Wall, and got his hands on the bike. (He sold a lot of Fats). My dad then rode the bike for a while and then for a while a young child rode it to school in Brookline! She had no idea what she was riding!

I rescued it from school commuting duties and have been wondering what to do with it. A really interesting build, custom stem and handlebars, everything else stock. No expenses spared in the build, and it's still mostly or all original (except for the rack).

Not sure what I'm going to do with it...my '87 Wicked Fat (with the Ubrake) doesn't get ridden very much, and I've been working on building up a '01 Merlin Ti mtb for the past 3 years...still need to get some disc wheels built.

Comments appreciated.

Lee

Attachments

• DSCF0265.jpg
    DSCF0265.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCF0270.jpg
    DSCF0270.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCF0269.jpg
    DSCF0269.jpg
    399.1 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCF0268.jpg
    DSCF0268.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCF0273.jpg
    DSCF0273.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCF0267.jpg
    DSCF0267.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCF0278.jpg
    DSCF0278.jpg
    331 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCF0277.jpg
    DSCF0277.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCF0276.jpg
    DSCF0276.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCF0266.jpg
    DSCF0266.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 23

BostonBobby

If you are not putting that beauty to good use Im sure myself or someone else that loves these bikes could take it off your hands :) let me know as Im also from Boston

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
yeah, seriously. I would love to add that to my collection. what a cool little bike---thanks for sharing the pics!

lml999

I've been working on building up a '01 Merlin Ti mtb for the past 3 years...still need to get some disc wheels built.
Lee

Um, yes, I meant '91 Merlin Ti, and no, they did not come from the factory ready to run disc brakes.

I bought the Merlin from a downhill racer in east bay, California (southeast of San Francisco). It was his wife's bike, and she was pregnant...wasn't going to be riding the bike anytime soon.

I shipped it back to Boston, and then shipped the frame to Mike Augspurger for him to add the disc brake mounting tab on the rear stay. In between the time I first contacted him, and in picking up the bike, he had stopped doing this work. Fortunately I was able to talk him into doing one more... He did a great job.

This Merlin has a pretty good bloodline. I do have to get it back on the road! Spring project. :)

Lee

lml999

If you are not putting that beauty to good use Im sure myself or someone else that loves these bikes could take it off your hands :) let me know as Im also from Boston

After the holidays, I'll probably post it on the for sale section of this website...

You're welcome to come and take a look at it. It's a really interesting build.

Lee

lml999

yeah, seriously. I would love to add that to my collection. what a cool little bike---thanks for sharing the pics!

Thanks, it is really nicely put together, a great example of the company's early work.

...unlike the UBrake on my Wicked Fat, which I should have had exorcised many years ago. :)

Not that there's anything wrong with the UBrake. It does a fine job of reducing speed by the air turbulence it creates....and the mud it collects. Stopping power? Not so much... :)

Lee

Devilock

A buddy of mine had the same frame in black..24" wheels, drum brakes...Quadangle frame. He got it in 1985 and the bike was stolen not long after.