When to replace a seat tube with rust

tvcreative

Fellow Fat Lovers...

I just recently purchased a 91 team violet Yo...

I investigated the seat tube for rust...it had some surface, and some schmutz by the BB

I tried to convert it with a rust abatement product

it did shed some powdered rust and a fair amount of crust.

i wire brushed the walls, and put frame saver inside.

Upon rust conversion it loosened an H20 mount

How do you know when you should consider seat tube replacement?

Till you ride it and it cracks?

How much should i expect to pay - should I find someone willing to do the work?

I realize this involves a tube, paint and decals.

Who is taking on work like this still?

Who is considered the best with a decent turnaround?

The bike is quite a gem, and really don't see any other issues other than the seat tube

thanks

Jim

WVEddy

Just went through the same thing. I hate rust or bike cancer as it is called at my house. Prepare to adjust your expectations on what turn around time might be. Mine has been in the shop since March. Rody and Chris do great work and you should probably start there: www.iglebike.com or www.groovycycleworks.com. I got lucky and have a local frame builder fixing mine, with some help from Rody. I think the cost falls more on the paint than the fix, at least in my case. Since the frame is in, having them paint the fork, stem, and a few other items to match. Cost is releative depending upon how much you love your bike.

jbrannsten

Staff member
That's a new place to consider...

any pix?

reasonable price?

with paint?

best wishes

Jim

Hey,

I had mine done by Igleheart, you can see the result here. He did seat tube replacement, paint and decals. Very nice work, don't remember how much I paid though....

SLIMJOE

Pictures etc

That's a new place to consider...

any pix?

reasonable price?

with paint?

best wishes

Jim

The price was really good and included powder coating, applying decals and lacquer.

Around $400 i think. The seat tube looked like it did originally. Unfortunately i no

longer own the bike, and cant find piccies from 2-3 years back. Anyway give them a

try and bring that YO back to its true glory:cool: