CL & eBay "Outings"

Doug Carter

Staff member
I still can't figure out why some of the guys at MTBr get so tweaked over "outings" in the forums, as if no one looks ANYWHERE else on the internet for MTB collectibles. :rolleyes: We all see what's out there, and it's not hard to find if you are looking for something specific. It's almost 2010... if we want the same things you want, we're all using the same tactics to get them. Screw it, there are no hidden gems or secrets on teh interwebs anymore. If you want something bad enough, pay for it like everyone else.

So here's one of my tools. It works for bikes only, but it searches ALL of the CraigsLists in the country AND eBay at the same time, and gives you a complete list. Parts and pieces, you'll have to use other searches, but there are tricks if you know some Boolean stunts for Google, too.

Check this... Jaxed, Site Mash

And to the peeps who can't stomach "outings" of eBay finds or CraigsList mis-labels... :p

:kissyface

proto2000

I don't get it

I'm with you on this on. What is so hard about finding anything vintage on the net? I was BBQed on MTBR for letting the cat out of the bag on a real gem once. Of course everyone who had a comment also knew of the bike already and was getting their 2 cents in because it happened to them in the past. I use that website and Google too. Also funny is how peeps will ask you to remove your CL listing so that no one else calls you on it. First come, first served.

Doug Carter

Staff member
Yeah, I don't understand it. Some of the guys on a couple other collector boards get tweaked about it, too, but on the internet, it's all about luck and timing. Has nothing to do with keeping secrets hidden. If you managed to find something on eBay or CraigsList, you probably aren't the only one.

The way I see it is, I'd rather another collector get the bike and put it into a collection or restore it, instead of someone looking to leave a beater left out in the rain chained to a bike rack.

People on CraigsList are totally flaky anyway. I think some collectors blame the "outings" as an excuse why sellers can't respond or do any work to actually sell something for what it's worth. Some people need to lighten up.

IF52

It's a mystery to me too, but I've tried to abide by the defacto 'rule' over there. Now I just avoid that forum, too much drama, too many princesses.

There was a similar unwritten rule over on Rennlist about outing eBay listings. How anybody could possibly beleive they are the only person who knows about an auction or CL listing is beyond me. I will say though that with MTBR and Rennlist, some folks used 'outing' as a way to avoid paying for an ad on the site.

pinguwin

Rightly or wrongly, there were two issues with outing where maybe, just maybe, you could understand.

1) Poorly listed items that don't show up in regular searches. I picked up a pair of Grafton brakes for $20 as they were simply listed as "cantilever brakes" with a poor thumbnail picture.

2) Something on Craiglist where someone can pick up a nice item cheaply and they are working on the sale. If people become aware of it, the seller will get 10 calls, causing them to raise the price. On ebay, this isn't such a big issue as the auction will run for a week. On CL, this rush of calls will change things.

I am not supporting nor criticizing outing, just that it isn't as simple as just saying everyone can (but not everybody will) find out about it anyways.