FatCogs Community Discussion Forums

Go Back   FatCogs Community Discussion Forums > Fat Chance Bicycles > Retro MTB

Retro MTB Any old shool bikes outside the Fat world like Ritchey, Breezer, Salsa, VooDoo, Yeti, Bontrager, etc.

Old January 23rd, 2013, 5:52 PM   #41
colker

it looks perfect.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 5:56 PM   #42
colker

what size is that frame, 19in?
Old January 23rd, 2013, 6:23 PM   #43
Zamfir

Frame is a 18" and I have some awesome developments.....

Just met a local guy who has a triple butted Project 2, Paul's single speed wheelset and, a number of stems that would work perfect for this bike! Biggest problem is I will need to give up some classic parts for the trade, it will be worth it though.

Reasoning behind the rigid fork is because I fully intent on riding the bike, which means a lot of stand and grind up hills. With a sus fork there is just too much bobbing for my tastes.

Next step (after collecting parts) is to contact the painter who sprayed my Wicked and see if he will shoot the stem and fork.....

I will update as always.
Zamfir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 7:06 PM   #44
colker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamfir View Post
Frame is a 18" and I have some awesome developments.....

Just met a local guy who has a triple butted Project 2, Paul's single speed wheelset and, a number of stems that would work perfect for this bike! Biggest problem is I will need to give up some classic parts for the trade, it will be worth it though.

Reasoning behind the rigid fork is because I fully intent on riding the bike, which means a lot of stand and grind up hills. With a sus fork there is just too much bobbing for my tastes.

Next step (after collecting parts) is to contact the painter who sprayed my Wicked and see if he will shoot the stem and fork.....

I will update as always.
ride the judy while he paints the other stuff. win/win.
Old January 24th, 2013, 10:42 AM   #45
Zamfir

Unfortunately the Judy/Syncros are both 1". I've thought about looking for a new 1 1/8" crown because the Judy is freshly rebuilt, has a sweet Risse cartridge and replacement springs.

Anyway i'm excited to proceed on this build!
Old January 24th, 2013, 10:47 AM   #46
colker

Quote:
Unfortunately the Judy/Syncros are both 1". I've thought about looking for a new 1 1/8" crown because the Judy is freshly rebuilt, has a sweet Risse cartridge and replacement springs.

Anyway i'm excited to proceed on this build!
easy to find the 1 1/8 crown. the opposite is tough.
Old January 26th, 2013, 1:46 AM   #47
tvcreative

Everytime I start meddling with 1 1/8 bikes, I just end up going with stuff that really works

An old judy is an old judy, the playschool of suspension.

Same thing with an old syncros stem. Pains in the as@ you need the angled plastic stem cap, and then you deal with the non removeable faceplate....

just get an IF fork and a Thomson Stem and call it a day....you will smile all day long
tvcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2013, 8:13 AM   #48
colker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvcreative View Post
Everytime I start meddling with 1 1/8 bikes, I just end up going with stuff that really works

An old judy is an old judy, the playschool of suspension.

Same thing with an old syncros stem. Pains in the as@ you need the angled plastic stem cap, and then you deal with the non removeable faceplate....

just get an IF fork and a Thomson Stem and call it a day....you will smile all day long
hmm.. a salsa steel stem wouldn't work that bad..
Old January 26th, 2013, 10:55 AM   #49
Zamfir

Have faith, this build will come together quite nicely once I score just a few more parts....

Indy fork would be the perfect match and I might go in that direction depending on how my part quest goes today. If all goes as planned I should have a fork, stem, and rear hub (or wheelset) later today!

I will say that the Syncros stem is on my top 10 list of favorite vintage parts for both looks and functionality. If it was the correct size I would use it for sure.
Old January 27th, 2013, 7:20 AM   #50
sneb

i switched to a salsa ahead stem with a 99 sid xc on mine recently, and i know what is meant with the "pain in the ..." of a "non removeable faceplate". on the other hand i smile all day long since it's done.

cheers
:sneb
Attached Images
File Type: jpg if18salsasid.jpg (80.2 KB, 26 views)
sneb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 11:25 AM   #51
colker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneb View Post
i switched to a salsa ahead stem with a 99 sid xc on mine recently, and i know what is meant with the "pain in the ..." of a "non removeable faceplate". on the other hand i smile all day long since it's done.

cheers
i like that handlebar.
Old January 27th, 2013, 12:02 PM   #52
Zamfir

Default Parts, parts, and more parts!

Had a productive and (relatively) expensive parts day yesterday. Unfortunately my parts guy wasn't interested in trading so i'll need to squirrel away some cash before I pick everything up.

1995 Kona P2 TB fork, flat-grey color. Not the fanciest fork but it will fit perfect and comes in at 800g's, it is threaded and has nice cast dropouts. I hope to have this and the stem repainted.

Stem, not sure yet. He is going to do some rummaging to find a 120mm quill with a cable guide. My guess is either Control Tech or Kona. Guy is a huge Kona fan and has at least 4 Hot's including a Tet built one.

Wheels. Paul's singlespeed rear with WI freewheel, ugly Salsa rim. Front hub is a Black Ringle with nice Mavic 231. I'm still hoping to swap rims/spokes with late 80's Weimann's. I really like these rims, very wide and ever so shiny which is the look i'm going for. Another option is to go with new rim brake Stan's so I can run tubeless and drop the pressure to soften the ride a little.

Brake levers. He has a set of Machine Tech Zero Flex! Perfect because i'm planning on using MT Zero Flex cantis. Sorry guys.

So parts cache is almost complete, just need a saddle, handlebar, bottom bracket, tires, chainring and chain.
Old January 27th, 2013, 12:04 PM   #53
Zamfir

That is a supreme bar Sneb!

I have no idea what I will end up with.....
Old January 27th, 2013, 12:20 PM   #54
colker

So... are you buying one of those Hots???
Old January 27th, 2013, 12:33 PM   #55
Zamfir

I would consider a Hot is the price was right, honestly though my knowledge of Kona's is practically zero.
Old January 27th, 2013, 12:34 PM   #56
colker

Quote:
I would consider a Hot is the price was right, honestly though my knowledge of Kona's is practically zero.
You need to know your size and that's all.
Old January 27th, 2013, 12:51 PM   #57
colker

I happen to like t bone quill stems and they used to pop on ebay at nice, comfy prices. MOstly 135mm though.
You can always go crazy with an Ibis titanium stem... if you have 200 dollars burning a hole in your wallet.
Old January 28th, 2013, 8:45 AM   #58
sneb

i tried a kona p2 triple butted with a-c 410 or 415(? can't remember right now). they made a fast around the corner ride, and i kept this for more than 2 years. if you're on budget or wanting to figure out what fits best, i would give them a try.
mine were threaded, and i completed it with a 2nut king and a really nice bontrager stem-bar-combo (bar was glued and riveted to the quilled stem). in sum it was the lightest, stable solution for the price i was able to find.

to figure out, if it is a triple butted p2, watch out for a "TP" at the steerer. it's hard to read sometimes.

good luck
:sneb.
Old January 28th, 2013, 11:13 AM   #59
tvcreative

I put a Kona Type II on my Deluxe and it was not right, I think they are 410 out of the gate - but they do make one longer

I still say a Salsa Cromato is a nice properly sized, properly raked fork for cheap...425mm A2C.
Old January 28th, 2013, 11:52 AM   #60
Zamfir

Fork is stamped 1995 TB, which I assume means made in 1995 and is triple butted, weighs a 800g, and has the nice cast dropouts. Classy looking fork and I hope won't throw the geometry off too much and i'm hoping it will be a little compliant, though that doesn't matter too much to me. I prefer climbing efficiency over downhill prowess.

I haven't measured the axle to crown but from the attached pic it looks quite long. Would anybody know what the length should be? IF said it was designed for a 80mm travel fork.

Even though my build doesn't appeal to everybody i'm seriously loving the stance and look right now. The simple straight lines remind me of the old school look that I dig so much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IFP2.jpg (101.8 KB, 37 views)
Old January 28th, 2013, 12:04 PM   #61
colker

Quote:
Fork is stamped 1995 TB, which I assume means made in 1995 and is triple butted, weighs a 800g, and has the nice cast dropouts. Classy looking fork and I hope won't throw the geometry off too much and i'm hoping it will be a little compliant, though that doesn't matter too much to me. I prefer climbing efficiency over downhill prowess.

I haven't measured the axle to crown but from the attached pic it looks quite long. Would anybody know what the length should be? IF said it was designed for a 80mm travel fork.

Even though my build doesn't appeal to everybody i'm seriously loving the stance and look right now. The simple straight lines remind me of the old school look that I dig so much.
Length should be around 420mm but more important is how you like the bike's behaviour. One measure is to build a rim brake 650B wheel w/ Paul's brakes which have enough adjustablity. That would be awesome as style and function. it would bring back the stability, slow the manners of the bike. Actually it would ride better than everything else and look classy.
Old January 29th, 2013, 7:56 AM   #62
sneb

zamfir, i liked the ride with the kona p2 (a-c 410, i checked) more, than what i felt with a chris kelly that came with 420mm a-c. much more yo-feeling with the shorter forks. it's a question of personal taste, a little voodoo and whatever. i'm not sure if i could check the difference in a blindfolded test, if this would be an option in this sport.

if if talk about an 80mm sus fork, i think they suggest something that is more around 420 than 410mm. you could level it by choosing a higher building tire for the front.

i think this 410mm tb p2 forks of around 1995 were the best kona ever made. the longer ones from later years i've seen were not my cup of tea. they were different in butting, the dropouts looked cheaper and even the diameter of the tubes was bigger. weight was always in direction of 1000g and more for the later ones.

cheers
Old January 29th, 2013, 9:53 AM   #63
tvcreative

I like the look of this fork better than the one i have, SNEB might be right on this
Old January 29th, 2013, 12:24 PM   #64
Zamfir

I agree that the P2 fork I have is above average in design and execution from others that i've seen, it even has a swagged steerer tube. Welds are clearly not the finest but heck, the price was right!

Had a minor setback last night. Started cleaning my beloved CK hs when I noticed one bearing is missing. I have no idea how one of the bearings could fall out or how i'm going to get one back in.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CK HS.jpg (34.8 KB, 14 views)
Old January 30th, 2013, 11:02 AM   #65
sneb

"I noticed one bearing is missing"
what the hell? but it shouldn't be a problem, if there never was one more. i remember we removed two bearings from conehubs (one from each side) in my really early racingbike days. the reason was - weight
i would place the hole on 9 or 3 o'clock when installing and try to forget.
Old January 30th, 2013, 11:21 AM   #66
Zamfir

I definitely had a wtf moment when I saw the missing bearing. Slowly I cooled off with a fine belgian ale, with hazy vision and thought I managed to pry out the inner race out and freed the bearings. Replaced the missing, greased and i'm good to go now, hooray for progress and tasty beer!
Old January 30th, 2013, 11:26 AM   #67
colker

Quote:
I definitely had a wtf moment when I saw the missing bearing. Slowly I cooled off with a fine belgian ale, with hazy vision and thought I managed to pry out the inner race out and freed the bearings. Replaced the missing, greased and i'm good to go now, hooray for progress and tasty beer!
NOw you got me thinking of beer...
Old February 7th, 2013, 11:04 AM   #68
Zamfir

Default Wheels!

Minor parts update.

Another baby step forward to completion. Scored a wheelset yesterday. Ringle front hub on a Mavic 231 and a Paul's rear (WI freewheel) on a Salsa Gordo rim.

To say these wheels do not match is a understatement. Silver rims and spokes up front, black rims and spokes on the back. Ergh......Both wheels have thick plain gauge spokes and weigh far too much.

Plan at the moment is to re-lace the wheels with rims and spokes from my old Nuke Proof set which I disassembled after I noticed cracking of both hubs.

Rims will be Mavic 231's, Wheelsmith db spokes, blue nips.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front w.jpg (135.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg back w.jpg (100.8 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Zamfir; February 7th, 2013 at 1:25 PM. Reason: typo
Old February 27th, 2013, 5:30 PM   #69
Zamfir

Default Wheels!

Minor update. Finally finished relacing my ss wheelset.

DB Weimann stainless spokes, blue nips, Mavic 231 rims. Paul rear hub and Ringle' front.

Colors match and I dropped a considerable amount of weight, plus they look nice
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IF Wheels.jpg (158.5 KB, 14 views)
Old March 10th, 2013, 9:49 AM   #70
nader

Quote:

Colors match and I dropped a considerable amount of weight, plus they look nice
very nice hubs ...look forward to seeing more.
Old March 31st, 2013, 10:42 AM   #71
Zamfir

Default Parts!

Minor photo update, though I have made more progress with collecting parts for this build.

Found this old GT stem locally with a nice rise and reach, it also has a cable guide (yeah!). Ignore the color for now as I hope to have the fork and stem repainted. I do like the neon red, I just think it clashes with the frame.

I also located a pair of Ritchey brake levers and M920 cranks which just about finish off my parts list, just need to find a saddle and cable guide for the rear brake and build this sucker up.

It's going to be a sweet ride!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GT Stem.jpg (106.5 KB, 15 views)
Old March 31st, 2013, 10:56 AM   #72
colker

Quote:
Minor photo update, though I have made more progress with collecting parts for this build.

Found this old GT stem locally with a nice rise and reach, it also has a cable guide (yeah!). Ignore the color for now as I hope to have the fork and stem repainted. I do like the neon red, I just think it clashes with the frame.

I also located a pair of Ritchey brake levers and M920 cranks which just about finish off my parts list, just need to find a saddle and cable guide for the rear brake and build this sucker up.

It's going to be a sweet ride!
It looks like no other stem i've seen on Ifs and that goes w/ the spirit of SS. well done.
Old March 31st, 2013, 11:02 AM   #73
Zamfir

The stem is a odd design, clearly inspired by the Grove Hammerhead.

Despite the color I think it works with the build and will fit me just right. With a repaint it'll bring it all together, I hope.
Old April 1st, 2013, 6:54 PM   #74
mattb

This was my 95' serial #007. Sold it on, sadly...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0230.jpg (423.4 KB, 45 views)
mattb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2013, 6:25 PM   #75
IF52

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattb View Post
This was my 95' serial #007. Sold it on, sadly...
Wow, how did you get such an early one?

Keep your mudflaps down
IF52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 12:09 AM   #76
Syborg

Hi all,

here is my 98er Porsche Riviera Blue Independent Fabrication steel deluxe. Built up with Magura HS33 and Shimano 785 XT parts. My all around carefree bike.

Greetings Helmut

Syborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 3:19 PM   #77
mattb

Quote:
Originally Posted by IF52 View Post
Wow, how did you get such an early one?

I bought it from a guy in NYC who wasn't the original owner so the history is lost. I did confirm The # with IF though, I was surprised myself.
mattb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2013, 10:17 AM   #78
IF52

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattb View Post
I bought it from a guy in NYC who wasn't the original owner so the history is lost. I did confirm The # with IF though, I was surprised myself.
My understanding from buddy of mine who raced for them very early on and is still friends with some of the founders is that the first dozen or so went to IF employees, girlfriends and racers. It's pretty neat you wound up with one of those.

Keep your mudflaps down
IF52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2013, 1:54 PM   #79
Zamfir

So many amazing bikes, thank you for sharing.

I'm a bit stalled on my build at the moment, can't seem to find a BB-930 (bottom bracket) locally and the 'bay ones are a bit spendy. Time is ticking away though, 6 short weeks until the 24hr race! I'm hoping to have Indy ready by then.
Old April 26th, 2013, 3:19 AM   #80
Spikes

Wow, that is a nice bike. It looks a bit like the blue Indy Fad Deluxe redux..... Similar color, same group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syborg View Post
Hi all,

here is my 98er Porsche Riviera Blue Independent Fabrication steel deluxe. Built up with Magura HS33 and Shimano 785 XT parts. My all around carefree bike.

Greetings Helmut