Phil Outboard BBs

MikeyNYC

Looks like Phil Wood is now in the outboard bottom bracket business. Says that you can use them with older press-fit style BBs. Would this be an option for Fats of this vintage?

http://www.philwood.com/BB-Outboard Set.htm

Interesting...It says:
--------------
Features:
Durability and Performance
Compatibility with most crank manufacturers
Servicable
Fits both 68mm & 73mm Shells
Complete with Phil Spec'd Bearings
Available in British, French, Italian & other threadings

Available for older press fit Bottom Bracket Shells (Klein, etc)

E-Type Compatible
Made in USA
--------------
It appears in the photo that it's threaded on the outside for use in threaded BB shells, but they might have a special set of bearing cups that can be used in our older Fats...That would be a neat retro fit item that would probably last forever.

jh4rt

I emailed them today. They already responded and said it should work fine. I think a guy named Phil responded to my email. ;-)

Jeeves

Awesome!
Thank you very much for the information.

I want nothing but Phil Wood bearings on my bikes. :)

sierraben

Has anyone here purchased and installed a Phil Wood bottom bracket
(BBCG1) for their Fat Chance bikes; say like an older '89 Wicked? :D

Seems like a great idea.

I'd be interested in one; and may look into it.

Last edited:

brad

I emailed them today. They already responded and said it should work fine. I think a guy named Phil responded to my email. ;-)

Nice.

The press-in bearings on my old Yo are due for replacement. I was going to try one of those Mavic knock offs that I've seen referenced here in the past, but this looks like a much better solution.

I assume this would require using a modern crankset w/ a splined tubular spindle?

TealisReal

Yes, the new outboard BB's would be for a modern pipe spindle integrated crank. But I believe Phil Wood makes replacement bearings and square taper spindles that will work in older Fats. I know they do for press-in BB Kleins.

M8

Does anyone have any user reports?

Since this thread was last posted to. Did you guys take the plunge on the phil wood set up? I think it's a good solution for my 1985 Fat, which I'd love to weatherproof a bit with an updated BB.

Butcher

Phil's new outboard BB certainly is nice, but you don't need to abandon your venerable old school square tapper to get Phil's awsome bearings for your Fat Chance. I've got a set of Phil Wood press in bearings with a matching Phil ti spindle ready for my Yo when I get it back from C. Igleheart. The parts are top notch and I got over the top service from them. I was not sure the proper process to install the set up so I sent an email to Phil Wood. Instead of a response via email the guy called me back personally and went though the process step by step. I wish I could report more but it will have to wait until I get my frame back and get some time in on it. I did a lot of checking around on various forums for peoples experience with Phil Wood bottom brackets and it's extreamly impresive. If anyone reading this is ready for the ultimate BB for their old press in style Fat give Phil Wood a call.

IF52

Unless I'm missing something, the bearings used in Phil Wood BBs are just NTN cartridge bearing. Nothing too special about them, they're just an Japanese bearing of very good quality.

Butcher

Unless I'm missing something, the bearings used in Phil Wood BBs are just NTN cartridge bearing. Nothing too special about them, they're just an Japanese bearing of very good quality.

Some differences I see in the complete set up is the spindle is 17mm Ti (larger Diameter), custom length and the bearing to spindle fit is a tighter interference fit - thus eliminating the need for the retaining collars. Correct tools are imperative as the spindle is pressed into the bearings. Any shop that carried Fat's and Klein's into the mid 90's should have to tools to do it right.

Perhaps someone else knows more about the Phil Spec bearing internals.

IF52

That's what I would like to know. They state in their website that they dictate their own specs when they order their bearings, but they don't disclose those specs. I'm not saying their parts are unreasonably priced, because they really aren't too bad, but how much better are their specs and are they really worth crowing about, know what I mean? I've got two of their square taper BBs, one of which is nearly 20 years old and is still smooth. On the other hand, I have an old M730 loose ball BB on my 88 Stumpjumper Comp and it is equally as smooth

Butcher

Direct quote from PW site - "We specify the race tolerance, surface honing, ball diameter tolerance, bearing material, gap dimensions, seal specifications - to provide the most reliable high performance bearing possible "

Yea...I dug through the site a bit and there is so many applications. I think the specifics would be different for every application. The thirst for more information can drive one mad.

I guess in my mind I figured they have covered every angle on what would make the best bearing for the application (BB for my Yo). That's not to say they have the market cornered, but each bearing is going to be high end and deliver a high level of performance. For example when I got a Shimano BB for my Monster I opened up multiple boxes and spun them until I found the one that was the smoothest. There was quite a bit of difference with many noticibly tighter. If it only lasts a year or two I'll only be out $25. If I got a good one it might go a lot longer. Point is there is a lot of variation in the product - ie the range of acceptable tolorances is much wider. This, inaddition to less expensive materials keeps the cost down.

Phil's not the only game it town either. For example I like the White Industry square taper BB (threaded) which is of comparable quality, IMO. Perhaps the Monster will get one some day.

commander

yes

hiya
yes i bought a spindle -
...exactly two years ago ... i think
it is a excellent piece

order the bearings too - they are slightly different than the old ones.
the spindle is slightly larger.

very nice - highly recommended

o