• All For Sale Adverts Must Have A Price !

1994 (Sommerville) Titanium Fat Chance & original Big One Inch, size L, complete bike

meganmclawson

1994 (Sommerville) Titanium Fat Chance & original Big One Inch, size L, complete bike

This is a large 1994 Ti Yo Eddy, with its original Big One Inch fork, that I'm selling as a complete bike. It is not a museum piece, because I loved riding it and rode the heck out of it for many years. It does have scratches, but no dents and the anti-chain suck device prevented any frame damage. My favorite decal, "Don't Tread on Me," is still in good shape.

This bike has been in my life for a long time, but I need to make room in the garage for the rest of my family's bikes.

Serial number: 134T3ML
Price: $2,300

The parts follow:
Front wheel: Cane Creek Zonos Tubeless
Rear wheel: XTR hub, Mavic 819 rim tubeless
Brakes: Avid Single Digit 7
Bars: Race Face
Stem: Race Face XC 115
Shifters: XT (front), SRAM X9 (rear)
Headset: Cane Creek
Bottom bracket: XTR
Cranks: XTR (48-36-26)
Front derailler: XTR
Rear derailler and cogset: SRAM X-9 (11-34)
Pedals: Shimano M959
Grips: Oury bolt-on
Seatpost: Cane Creek Thudbuster
Saddle: SDG Bel-Air
Tires: Hutchinson Python Tubeless (need replacing)

Attachments

• AFatChance.jpg
    AFatChance.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 261
  • DSC_8160.jpg
    DSC_8160.jpg
    327.7 KB · Views: 163
  • DSC_8161.jpg
    DSC_8161.jpg
    345.1 KB · Views: 118
  • DSC_8163.jpg
    DSC_8163.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 112
  • DSC_8164.jpg
    DSC_8164.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC_8165.jpg
    DSC_8165.jpg
    342.2 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC_8166.jpg
    DSC_8166.jpg
    394.6 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC_8167.jpg
    DSC_8167.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 110

Stingercut

Cheers guys :beer::beer: Hopefully this will stop me from longing for this bike and cure my condition for good ! The last unicorn will hopefully find its way safely to me.

Jeeves

Keep telling yourself that, Stingercut. :) My wife told me I had to stop when I had one bike for every day of the week. Now that I'm up to 9, I have to submit a petition to various deities to add more days to the week.

Congrats on the Ti! :beer:

-Raj

Stingercut

Your not helping guys :rolleyes:

Please, don't anybody ever sell me another Fat part ever again ! I mean it... That's it ! :redface:

I-ROBOT

Please be aware that the seller advertised the bike as a 1994 but it is actually a 1993 model with the sleeved chainstays and downtube. The 1994 Somerville TI frames have the machined downtubes and chainstays and, IMO, are much more desirable.

Just setting the record straight for our pal Stinger

Regards
Scott

AB

The 1994 Somerville TI frames have the machined downtubes and chainstays and, IMO, are much more desirable.

Regards
Scott

Scott - In your opinion where the machined downtube and chainstays more rigid than the sleeved frames?

Thanks

Stingercut

I thanked Scott for his insider intel via PM. I have spent time browsing all the Ti Fats online :rolleyes: No doubt about it, a 94 welded by the great man without the 'C section' scars is the dream but I have more chance of winning the lotto than finding one my size, undamaged and for sale, before I'm too old to ride it :redface: I like the look of the 93, ok she has a few scars down below the bikini line like the wife but she still rides good :p

Examination of the 1994 Fat Catalogue shows the sleeved bb frame ;) just to add to the confusion. I just hope this is my last Fat....for this year at least :beer::beer:

Just got to be patient now...until she arrives.

DocChill

Great to see...

@Stingercut: Great to see, that the bike is coming into your hands! Our serial numbers are at close quarters (099 to 134) :beer:!!! The Frame is very similar to my one (also without ACD).

I saw only one difference - my insertions for the bottle-holder-screws are sealed by welding. @I-Robot: Hi Scott, do you know why this small detail has been changed?
large_FatChanceTitaniumNo_099T3M19.JPG

Congrats to you... a very, very good choice ;)!!!

Best regards -
and much fun with this "icon of bicycle-history".

Daniel

Stingercut

Thanks Daniel :beer: Yeah, always wanted a Somerville Monostay Ti in my size :)They are soooo purty, especially yours. Strangely the sleeve welds kind of add to the aesthetic mix considering the head tube gusset is distinctive. Also noted the minimalist bottle cage boss look. Maybe mine were ground down ? Dunno. Apparently mine was built for a Team Racer but I have no further details on that.

I-ROBOT

Scott - In your opinion where the machined downtube and chainstays more rigid than the sleeved frames?

Thanks

Hello AB
I'm really not sure if the machined tubes would be more rigid or not without having any way to calculate that. IMO, the machined chainstays may be more rigid, since the single piece tube would transmit pedaling loads differently than the tubes that have a weld in the middle of them and a sharp change in thickness at that point.

A modern finite element analysis program could probably tell you a lot more but I have no access to such software nor the ability to actually use it. It makes sense to me that the tubes would flex differently at the very least but to say if it makes an appreciable difference or not, I can't be sure. A talented rider might be able to feel it if they had the opportunity to ride each one over similar terrain.

For me, I just like the look of the machined tubes a little better. By the time we switched to the machined tubes, I had gained enough skill and confidence in my titanium welding that the 1994's look much better from a welding standpoint also.

Another point is that the machined tubes are lighter than the sleeved tubes so there is a difference on the scale as well. It probably only saves about 30 to 50 grams though

That's about all I can give you on that
Scott

I-ROBOT

@Stingercut: Great to see, that the bike is coming into your hands! Our serial numbers are at close quarters (099 to 134) :beer:!!! The Frame is very similar to my one (also without ACD).

I saw only one difference - my insertions for the bottle-holder-screws are sealed by welding. @I-Robot: Hi Scott, do you know why this small detail has been changed?
large_FatChanceTitaniumNo_099T3M19.JPG

Congrats to you... a very, very good choice ;)!!!

Best regards -
and much fun with this "icon of bicycle-history".

Daniel

I looked at the photos of both bikes and I have no good answer why the bottle bosses are different. I would guess that the non-welded ones are made of stainless steel and are somehow secured in a manner similar to a rivet. There are stainless steel bolts installed which were our standard bolt. (Team guys got SRP TI bolts). We also used the TI bolts to make the anti-chain suck mounts which are welded to the bottom of the drive side chainstays.

Being the welder, I obviously like the welded bottle boss mounts so much better!!;)

Enjoy
Scott

I-ROBOT

Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!!! :eek:

HAHA

Nice one Stinger!!

Enjoy the bike - and keep your eye on the downtube sleeve.

We had an early one that somehow developed a crack in the middle of the sleeve way away from any weld. Chris decided to just replace it under warranty and it hung around the rack for the longest time. Finally, when Somerville was about to go under, I asked him what he was going to do with it. He shrugged and said I could have it. I repaired the crack and put it on the alignment block and it was straight as an arrow. YEAH!!

The repair weld has held up all these years. I will post a pic of it if I can remember when I get home.

It's the only one that I know of that had this issue and I have never seen anybody on the forum talk about having one that cracked in the same way.

So that's how I lucked into owning a Fat TI bike. I'm still looking for a '94 too.

Happy Spring (finally - still 2 feet of snow on the ground here in Mass)
Scott

Stingercut

Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!!! :eek:

HAHA

Nice one Stinger!!

Enjoy the bike - and keep your eye on the downtube sleeve.

At this point I sank to my knees and shouted....noooooooo...have I bought the Christmas turkey early :eek:

We had an early one that somehow developed a crack in the middle of the sleeve way away from any weld. Chris decided to just replace it under warranty and it hung around the rack for the longest time. Finally, when Somerville was about to go under, I asked him what he was going to do with it. He shrugged and said I could have it. I repaired the crack and put it on the alignment block and it was straight as an arrow. YEAH!!

The repair weld has held up all these years. I will post a pic of it if I can remember when I get home.

Hallelujah :beer:

It's the only one that I know of that had this issue and I have never seen anybody on the forum talk about having one that cracked in the same way.

Amen :beer:

So that's how I lucked into owning a Fat TI bike. :cool:

I'm still looking for a '94 too :p

Happy Spring (finally - still 2 feet of snow on the ground here in Mass)
Scott

Time for more beer then...it's always reassuring to hear from the surgeon that performed the ops.

Ride hard or stay at home :beer:

Last edited:

Stingercut

Got the bike thankfully without any damage - always the scary part :D Looks like sponsor logos were bead blast etched into the frame. Not seen this before and it looks good imo. Plan is to refurb it with scotchbrite then get it partially rebeadblasted back to concours condition and apply new decals.