FatCogs Community Discussion Forums

Go Back   FatCogs Community Discussion Forums > Fat Chance Bicycles > General Fat Chance Discussion

General Fat Chance Discussion Anything and everything about the best mountain bikes ever made.

Old April 14th, 2018, 10:02 PM   #1
chtucker

Default My 1987 Wicked, custom paint, single owner dream bike

I am the original owner. Custom paint from Somerville, MA. I can't describe how many lawns mowed, leaves raked, babysitting, dog walking, sweeping floors it cost me as I was a junior in high school. I bought this bike following the summer I road cross country on my first bike purchase, a Connecticut made Cannondale tourer. I obsessed about the details. Rode a few races on it. Commuted 1000s of miles and most importantly NEVEitR sold it. I have not ridden in years other than a few goofing arounds. I bought a WTB Phoenix years ago that I never fell in love with. I really want a new bike to get back into riding and to ride with my 8 year old twins. My daughter is considerably taller than my son, she clears the top tube. Frame is a 15" if I recall, I have a 28.5" inseam (5'8" tall) so my torso makes it up.

I shed a few tears today when she got on it. Need to order some new tires, the beads are messed up on some old panaracers.

I can't think of ANY possession that I have in my life that I have held onto for 30+ years. It is the only thing that I have moved from CT, DC, NY, CO, to Kirkland, WA.

I noticed that I have to address some surface rust underneath the seat post clamp. Other than that, it is as sweet as the day I bought it. I got rid of the locking collar bottom bracket long ago, which was the only issue I really had. Everything is original, except the chain, headset, sprockets, brake pads, tires and tubes. My memory is vague, but I think it came with Biopace chainrings. I worked in a bike shop putting on kickstands and pushing a broom when I ordered at age 16. I paid for 100%. I think I will just give it to my kids.

I had a few tears in my eyes when I pulled it out of the shed today. I can't tell you how many memories are tied up in this bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0179.JPG (76.1 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0178.JPG (92.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0177.JPG (82.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0174.JPG (88.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0172.JPG (105.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 30727706_10216008933325821_217611122525830440_n.jpg (85.8 KB, 22 views)
chtucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2018, 7:11 AM   #2
Stingercut

Great post and so true about the emotional attachment we can have with bikes. I still have my first FAT from 89
Stingercut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2018, 6:34 AM   #3
I-ROBOT

What kind of bottom bracket is that? It doesn't look like a standard '87 FC BB.

Thanks for being such a loyal owner! Nice to see she still looks good at age 30.

Your daughter is very cute, glad to see she is wearing a helmet. Still see lots of kids riding without around here. They have no idea.

All the best
Scott
I-ROBOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2018, 9:04 AM   #4
Stingercut

When i managed a chain of London bicycle shops bitd, we used to fit these Mavic BBs to customers bikes which had either press fit bearings causing issues, were badly cross threaded or had rust damaged bearing surfaces. It just required a little chamfering, then it was fit and forget. These were expensive but so well made. A frame saver many times over.

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...m-bracket.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 1BD72D1B-4229-47C1-B1DC-575D2094A8E1.jpeg (62.1 KB, 9 views)
Stingercut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2018, 10:20 AM   #5
mainlyfats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingercut View Post
When i managed a chain of London bicycle shops bitd, we used to fit these Mavic BBs to customers bikes which had either press fit bearings causing issues, were badly cross threaded or had rust damaged bearing surfaces. It just required a little chamfering, then it was fit and forget. These were expensive but so well made. A frame saver many times over.

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...m-bracket.html
I had one of these in my first Team Comp as well. An astonishingly high-quality BB.
mainlyfats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2018, 12:07 PM   #6
chtucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-ROBOT View Post
What kind of bottom bracket is that? It doesn't look like a standard '87 FC BB.

Thanks for being such a loyal owner! Nice to see she still looks good at age 30.

Your daughter is very cute, glad to see she is wearing a helmet. Still see lots of kids riding without around here. They have no idea.

All the best
Scott

Scott, more pictures to follow of the BB, but when I had it done, the shop described it as the solution for my never ending battle with the cranks shifting. I never could get the lockrings right. Again, fuzzy memories. It is indeed a Mavic. I didn't think it was stop gap/repair but an upgrade in quality??

A small world for me with FC. In the early 2000s I opened a brewery in Leadville, Colorado. Earl Walker Jr an early 90s FC team rider moved to Leadville from Atlanta. A bunch of his friends and Independent Fab associates raced the Leadville 100. Earl's wife became our brewer. Total happenstance with the FC connection.

How many 16 year olds bought there own FC? I remember the yellow order form and I think I paid $1150 in cash to the bike shop owner that I worked at part time.

Here is the Mavic headset that went in when I had the BB done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0187(1).JPG (155.6 KB, 11 views)
Old April 16th, 2018, 5:47 PM   #7
chtucker

Here is the bottom bracket--- And the other bike out of the shed.. WTB steel Phoenix
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0197.JPG (103.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0193.JPG (115.0 KB, 11 views)