Ideal rigid fork for Wicked

mkozaczek

I may be picking up a Wicked which is built up with an RS Mag20, and I'd prefer to convert it to a rigid fork.

Aside from the big Yo what fork rigid forks came on the Wicked?

mainlyfats

I may be picking up a Wicked which is built up with an RS Mag20, and I'd prefer to convert it to a rigid fork.

Aside from the big Yo what fork rigid forks came on the Wicked?

The standard Unicrown fork of the era should do it. Sub 400mm axle to crown (395?-396?) if memory serves.

Examples are Tange, Ritchey, Specialized, Kona, Bontrager and of course, there's always the Fat fork it most likely came with originally floating around out there.

Ted Wojcik builds a lovely fork, as does Christopher Igleheart. They could always make you one. That's the direction I'd probably go.

colker

mainly fats is right; wojczik or igleheart will build you ultra sweet forks.. otoh you van always slap a 50$ tange provided it's A-C is around 400mm. the wicked, unlike the YO, was nothing special when it came to it's fork.. that's part of it's charm and why i love it: it's underpriced, simple while it's all around bike that can handle technical terrain like it's magical.

tvcreative

spot on

spot on colker,

I have recently found - and renewed my relationship with a Wicked (i will post pix soon).

I found a tange cromo fork, i believe it was around 395mm. I opted for a threadless one inch set up.

I agree, Wicked's are super fun to ride...very magical - different for sure than my 1990 and 1991 Yo's with segmented forks....

Would it be sinful to say that i might like it better than some of my earlier Yo's?

The tange fork I ended up getting has beefier fork blades than the original fork, and is a little nicer cornering with a slight forgiving rake....

fun stuff

Jim

mainlyfats

Would a pair of Tange switchblades work well?

I'm pretty sure they would work. There definitely was a Bontrager that was suspension corrected - the RS - but I'm not sure there was a Switchblade. Still, I'd double check the axle to crown measurement before you buy.

As far as the bolt-on blade forks go though, Switchblades are close to the bottom of the pack in desirability, so don't overpay for it. Bontragers, Brodies and Syncros get full dollar, Switchblades - there's also a Yokota variant with hearts on the tubes - quite a bit less.

I'd hold out for a unicrown, personally. Quality ones are lighter, the "right" fork for that bike and offer a better ride IMHO.

ranier

I just put a Igleheart fork on my Bro Eddy. Definitely looks that part with the frame and handling is spot on. I highly recommend Igleheart. He's good peeps and does excellent work.

tvcreative

switchblades?...other than looks,not sure of a good reason to own them. The ones I have owned seemed heavy and stiff.

unicrown or segmented all the way!

Zamfir

I would also recommend Chris Igleheart. He made up a sweet fork for my Wicked, handles and looks amazing!

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
Wicked9.jpg

Wicked1.jpg

I had Tom Teesdale make a fillet brazed unicrown for my Wicked. Rides great and it was less than half what and Igleheart segmented would cost.

tvcreative

Yo Nate. How long was your teesdale wait? It's gorgeous. I have one of the first MTb rigs he did on his own from 1980. All nice and fillet brazed... Needs a fork...

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
Initially he said a month, but then got the flu and was knocked out for a bit. I think all told it was about 2.5~3 months delivered. I wasn't too worried about the time, since I was sourcing other parts. It rides great and was under $200 shipped even with an added option (rack mounts).

I was a fan of his from a couple former frames I had that he did (a Fisher Tam and a Brave). You should totally get a fork from the man himself!