My 80s Wicked Fat

kbjork

Hi all. I'm new here, but I thought I might get some advice about rebuilding my Wicked Fat (size small). I'm trying to reinvigorate her for my son (who won't be able to ride a 26" for a few more years -- he's 8). I want to add a shock and get her back in shape. Does anyone have advice? Where should I start? What forks will fit? Should I switch to linear pull brakes? Oh, so many questions.

Sorry if this has already been discussed. Please point me to any info that's already out there or ask any questions!

Thanks! :confused:

Spikes

linear pull brakes: don't. Get some nice cantis from Paul components or similar. As for the shock, I do not think the geometry will be suspension corrected. Try to find a nice rigid, like a Ritchey logic. Also: check the forum to find build of the same age to see how they are built. A great place to start are the old catalogs and the Mombat.org website. Have fun!

Upchuck

If you want a good suspension fork, Marzocchi still offers 1" steer tubes. Or you can contact Hippie Tech suspension and get a refurbished RS Mag.

As far as brakes, Paul's are nice, but maybe too pricey for a young lad's first 26" bike. Even if it is a Fat. I'd look into DiaComp 986 canti's. They have plenty of power and are easy to dial in.

kbjork

Thanks!

I like the cantis, so that's great. As for the suspension fork, would more specifics on the year make the decision clear? I can get the S/N and/or the papers from when I bought it. It was such a great bike that I can't wait for the little guy to be big enough to ride it (of course, I'd rather he didn't grow up too fast, tho -- talk about conflict!).

Thanks!

Upchuck

I like the cantis, so that's great. As for the suspension fork, would more specifics on the year make the decision clear? I can get the S/N and/or the papers from when I bought it. It was such a great bike that I can't wait for the little guy to be big enough to ride it (of course, I'd rather he didn't grow up too fast, tho -- talk about conflict!).

Thanks!

If you're going with a suspension fork, I'd get the shortest travel fork you can find. That frame isn't "suspension corrected", since there wasn't one available at the time of production. Call Hippie Tech and ask if he has one for sale.

As far as canti's, you can either do the ebay search or PM me direct. I have a set of blue 986 calipers in excellent condition.