Ringle Stem Torque?

smittylube

I am now running full rigid on my wicked with a ringle stem, but 2/3 of the way on my recent local rides after a few 1' drops and one 2' drop I find my stem loosens slightly and I get play in the head set bearings (threadless 1").
Seeing all the comments on the faceplate cracking I have been going light on torque. No probs with cracking at the bars.
Does anyone know how much torgue for the bolt that clamps at the fork tube? I would hate to crack it.

Thanks, Steve

tvcreative

good question...

here's what i have done...

I don't think you can really over torque per say on the fork part

it's the face plate that i have broken twice...

now i make sure that the plate sits evenly distributed on the bars, and tighten till there is an even space on both sides...(I think having not the plate evenly distributed is part of the issue of more putting more stress on the plate )

once even, and lightly snugged, i give it a good 1/4 turn on both sides...these things will kinda give you a bottom out feeling when you have it right...

still am paranoid, but with a straight bar, what the worse that can happen if not tight enough? twist? (obviously lots can happen, but I don't ride these stems on any terrain that can I expect big drops)

l will monitor your post, in case someone here actually nows the number

smittylube

I tried contacting Sun/ringle and this is the reply I got

>>>HI Steve, we did not receive any files for the Old ringlet Stem when we purchased the company.
I do not have any clue on what that torque spec should be. <<< :confused:

Regardless I tightented it more and it stayed tight on my last ride. same route only faster..
So I suppose it can handle enough torque without cracking (so far).

I found it doesn't matter. If they are gonna break they are gonna break. That is a 15 year old piece of cnc'd aluminum with a lot of stress on it. They get brittle over the years. I have broken 3 faceplates that were all properly tightened! Good Luck!

smittylube

So far no problem at the face plate- cf bars may help it not break.
The fork mounting became very noisy but not loose on my last ride. Removed it, cleaned and lubed it - hopefully quiet again.