Museum Bike

pkbinder

I was fortunate enough to obtain a 92 Wicked (023W28)that has never been ridden. My other Fats are built up with modern new or scavenged parts, but I was hoping to build the Wicked with matching period correct parts. I know this will require patience and more than a few dollars. My question is: Does anyone have some sort of chart that gives the actual part numbers for Shimano cranks, derailleurs, brakes etc? It would be much easier to ask eBay or craigslist sellers for specific parts if I could be specific about which parts I need.
For example, I have a set of Shimano SLR brake levers labeled BL-M732 and "Japan 22.2". I assume that the 22.2 is the bar size. I wonder what year they are from. I also have a front der stamped FD-M730.
I have bars and pedals and, thank God, a complete bb.
Any suggestions for this build would be appreciated. Paul

mainlyfats

I was fortunate enough to obtain a 92 Wicked (023W28)that has never been ridden. My other Fats are built up with modern new or scavenged parts, but I was hoping to build the Wicked with matching period correct parts. I know this will require patience and more than a few dollars. My question is: Does anyone have some sort of chart that gives the actual part numbers for Shimano cranks, derailleurs, brakes etc? It would be much easier to ask eBay or craigslist sellers for specific parts if I could be specific about which parts I need.
For example, I have a set of Shimano SLR brake levers labeled BL-M732 and "Japan 22.2". I assume that the 22.2 is the bar size. I wonder what year they are from. I also have a front der stamped FD-M730.

http://mombat.org/MOMBAT/ (run by First Flight in NC) is a tremendous resource when it comes to figuring out this kind of stuff.

Come to think of it, First Flight probably has a 92 Wicked in their collection, so you could get the parts numbers off their description.

Good luck!

jh4rt

i just completed a build

I just completed a build .. and then took it apart. some of my stuff is/was New Old Stock. I have a bunch of stuff you might want.. The M-730 front derailleur is technically too old. Do you want to keep it all Shimano? XC Pro is nice as well.

My buld was for a 91 Yo... at 1992 you have a bit more flexibility (was the first year of some XTR parts)

Components in general

http://mombat.org/Timeline.htm#1992

Shimano 1992

http://mombat.org/Shimano.htm#1992

Suntour

http://mombat.org/Suntour.htm

I'm selling my kit; have some great stuff. Give me a shout if you are interested in any of it.

pkbinder

Yeah that 92 Wicked in MoMBAT is really nice (hint hint). Thanks guys for all your responses so fast. Someone turned me onto a site called Spiderworks that breaks down all the part numbers from Shimano. So now, for example, I know that my BR-M730 levers are from 1988, and they are referred to as "four finger" levers (coincidentally my high school nick-name).
I feel like I am way ahead of where I was just an hour or so ago when I wrote my last post. I love you guys, man! FF