• All For Sale Adverts Must Have A Price !

1994 Fat City Monster Fat

kpiazzisi

$600.00 or best offer. I am the original owner of this bike. It has not been ridden that much and is completely original. It does have some scratches. It has never been disassembled repainted etc. The rims, brakes, derailleurs, crank, etc. are all original. I also paid well over 1K when I bought the bike new. If you are interested, please send me a message. Thank you.

Attachments

• fat city monster fat 3.jpg
    fat city monster fat 3.jpg
    485.1 KB · Views: 118
  • Fat city derailer.jpg
    Fat city derailer.jpg
    404.4 KB · Views: 70
  • Monster Fat 2.jpg
    Monster Fat 2.jpg
    428.6 KB · Views: 80
  • Monster fat front derailer.jpg
    Monster fat front derailer.jpg
    459.2 KB · Views: 60
  • Monster Fat 1.jpg
    Monster Fat 1.jpg
    485.1 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

fat-tony

Staff member
You can't judge prices on ebay unless you are looking at auctions that are no reserve and have been completed. What folks want and 'think" their bike is worth and what they can actually get someone to pay for it are two entirely separate things.

Good luck with your sale.

Last edited:

tvcreative

As a point of reference. Monster was an entry level bike.

I sold mine with new powder and a real handmade wicked fork for $475

so your original price of 2K is somewhere in dreamland. But 600 is a real deal as a complete bike

Fleabay prices are a joke.

Last edited:

chefmiguel

eBay prices that you saw we're set by ambitious sellers. Check on those bikes in 6 months see if they are still up for sale. My point is see what similar bikes sold for not what the seller is asking and still sitting on.

kpiazzisi

Just as expected

We'll I pretty much got exactly the reaction that I expected from this site. Basically a bunch of emotional responses. I tried to ask what the bike was worth, but this site would not allow me to do that. When I listed it without a price, I was immediately reprimanded and asked to follow the rules. Now that I've listed a price many feel it's too high and want to add comments. I am being criticized because people want to pick up a bike like this dirt cheap. I am not some guy that found this for $50.00 at a Garage sale. I am the original owner that paid $1200.00 for it brand new. Besides the bike for 4K on ebay, what other Fat Chance is for sale right now? Exactly.

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
No one is trying to give you a hard time, they are just trying to give you perspective.

We've all just seen lots of Fats come and go for sale over the years. The site requires listing a price if you are selling, but you could do a simple WIW thread if you hadn't been flogging it for sale.

There are several Fats on eBay that have been sitting there for years at outrageous prices. Fat City Cycles had a number of models and prices vary considerably based on condition and what components are fitted, whether it has the original fork, rarity, etc etc.

Yes, it is a great bike and was not cheap when you bought it. That said, it was the lowest range Fat City bike. A Yo Eddy is generally worth a good deal more. Just to give you some ball parks figures for Monster Fats:

I've bought Monsters in much better condition than yours for $350-$800, both on this site, craigslist, and via eBay. I've seen them sell for as much as $1,000 for the frame/fork only, but that was for an exceedingly fine example in a rare color that might as well been new in terms of condition. In contrast, your bike looks like it has seen some good use.

Ultimately, if you really want to know what the market will bear, clean it up, take some nicer pics, and let it go on eBay. My feeling is that you would be lucky to get about a fourth of what you are asking here, but you don't have to take my word for it.

chefmiguel

Well pretty much the exact reaction I expected from someone who clearly figured us all out. Yes we want to buy your bicycle for twelve cents and a Power Bar as a matter of fact that's why we asked you to come to this site and post it. You are a clever one!
Or...you can see that people on this board have kept up with these bikes and do know what they sell for because its the kind of thing we look up weekly (ahem, daily). Review some other for sale ads posted here and you'll see what models fetch and what some don't. Good luck on your sale.

afterbang

I did just see an NOS XT M732 rear derailleur just sell for $265.00 on ebay, so maybe there is a good chance he can get that 2 grand he's looking for :)

Hi Kevin,

Welcome to Fatcogs. That's a really pretty monster!

Are you sure the bike is a '94? What is the serial number on the bike? Can we see some better pictures of the frame; they came out a little blurry. It's hard to say exactly what it's worth because the Fat community is pretty small. $600 seems about right to me if it's in good shape & all original. Jon

kpiazzisi

Here is another PIC and the serial

I think the serial number is 248M1S. You can kind of make it out in the picture if you look really hard. I bought the bike in 1993 or 1994. I think it may even have been manufactured in 1992?

Attachments

• monster 5.jpg
    monster 5.jpg
    484 KB · Views: 68
  • Monster serial number.jpg
    Monster serial number.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

kpiazzisi

Wow! It is hard to believe that is sat in the bike shop for 2-3 years before I bought it. There is a sticker on the bike with the phone number of the bike store. Wonder if there are still in business?

I think the serial number is 248M1S.

Yup it's the 248'th Monster made in 1991 & it's a Small. The components looked older than '94 (not that that is a bad thing). Realisitically I wouldn't think '91-'94 would make any difference in value at this point. The fact that it's in pretty good shape & is all complete & is still a Sommerville built bike means it's still worth something to the right buyer :)

Jon

kpiazzisi

I had one person who said they wanted it, only to retract the offer a few minutes later due to financial issues. I completely understand since I am also selling for financial reasons. I think I won my unemployment claim today and also got a part time job, so who knows maybe I can afford to hang onto it for another 19 years. If I could just have the 40K back that I wasted on my college education I would be fine...ha. Anyway, for now it is still for sale. Thanks for the kind words about the bike.

Nice bike! My frame sat on the wall for several years before I purchased it, so it's no surprise about yours. Once in a while, you have someone looking for exactly what your selling....right place, right time, right resources. Sounds like your in a better place financially right now, so be patient and you'll get your sell. Good luck!

AB

Value

Look at it this way.

How much would a 1991 basic 3 series BMW be worth today compared to it's original purchase price?

That being said I don't think $600.00 is way out of line. I would say anywhere from $400 - $600 is your range.