Rody's Team Violet recipe

AB

No offense, but I doubt the original formula will ever be duplicated. Especially since some have said that the formula was never written down in the first place and that no two batches were identical.

rody

AB,

No offense taken. Considering the "original" formula was applied to only one frame, I agree, it will never be the same there after.

However, as time wore on and the color was sprayed more often, there was a narrowing of hue. I made my mix up after having 4 different shades on the table at once and then hitting the mean.

Would most people be able to tell the difference between any of them separately, probably not. But as one who pursues this beyond a hobbiest level, I believe the new mix is passable :)

Nothing is never as grand as in our youth/memories, but is sure is nice to reminisce.

cheers,

rody

settemarche

what is more disturbing... is that there is a small Team Violet Yo running around with disc brakes!

i thought i was the only one who wanted to do this - and you told me NO ;-)

Sette

ameybrook

what is more disturbing... is that there is a small Team Violet Yo running around with disc brakes!

i thought i was the only one who wanted to do this - and you told me NO ;-)

Sette

Scandalous rumors.

adam_bear.jpg

adam_stream.jpg

lav_sideshot.jpg

jbrannsten

Staff member
Beautiful... I was planning to have this done on one of the frames I shipped to Iglebike. I shipped one in s/m and one in M. Unfortunately the M frame was not possible to save (they both had rust in the seat tube).

Since M is my size I decided not to put disc tabs on the one in s/m but had the lower part of the seat tube replaced. Looking at your bike I'm tempted to ship one of my frames in M and have it mounted on that:cool:

ameybrook

Looking at your bike I'm tempted to ship one of my frames in M and have it mounted on that:cool:

Rody can elaborate, but apparently it was quite difficult placing the ISO tab. The placement of the dropouts with the bullet-stays required special machining.

Someday I'll get around to cleaning her and taking some close-up photos of the work.

settemarche

AB,

i really don't even have words to describe it. it is so MY idea. crossmax, SID, Joystix - the whole thing is just so what i want to do. but, the gods of vintage steered me to keep my bikes vintage.

Amy - how did you defeat them??? how did you beat the gods???

Sette

AB

Nice bikes

Congrats! both bikes are very well done - the team violet Yo looks really good the non-action photo shows the paint much better than other photos I've seen. Color looks very good and the matching SID is great - same saddle I'm currently using too which is great. Nice builds all around.

Cheers,
AB

wesintl

need to save codes here

I'm pretty sure I burned about a bazillion calories in getting this one placed. Maybe I should start looking for a nice used fork lift...hmmm.

And, as promised, the formula for the Team Violet Fat City paint. Take this list to your favorite supplier and you to can have the elusive color.

For a matter of information sharing, I use PPG paint, DBC series, listed by weight based on a pint formula...

FCC TEAM VIOLET:

DMD 1684 White 668.5
DMD 1679 Red 40.3
DMD 1683 Black 17.7
DMD 1676 Blue 8.0

DBC 2002 series clear 6 oz with 3 puffs of Sunset Red Pearl overcoat

There y'all go...hopefully we'll keep more vintage rides looking great for decades to come.

At the FD for a 36 hour push so I'll try to catch up on correspondence.

cheers,

rody