Alu Fat Chance with Elevated Chainstays??

watchknut

I am a Yeti guy and have always admired Fat Chance. I came across a supposed Fat Chance from the early 1990's with an aluminum frame and elevated chainstays. I am looking at the bike this evening and am wondering if someone put Fat Chance stickers on another brand of bike because I have not been able to find the model in my research. The seller might not know the difference between steel and alu as well--who knows. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

MikeyNYC

I am a Yeti guy and have always admired Fat Chance. I came across a supposed Fat Chance from the early 1990's with an aluminum frame and elevated chainstays. I am looking at the bike this evening and am wondering if someone put Fat Chance stickers on another brand of bike because I have not been able to find the model in my research. The seller might not know the difference between steel and alu as well--who knows. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

It's not a Fat Chance-Don't buy it!

watchknut

Thanks! That is what I figured when I emailed me that it was alu and I could not find any info on an elevated chainstay model.

MikeyNYC

IS THIS THE BIKE IN QUESTION?
------------------------
washington, DC craigslist

Fat Chance MTB with XTR and Aerospoke Wheels - $450 (North Arlington (Clarendon))

Reply to: sale-631142414@craigslist.org
Date: 2008-04-05, 10:44AM EDT

This is a 17" frame MTB with a very unique geometry. This bike cost over $2500 new. The wheels alone cost over $600 new. The shifters need to be replaced and the front tire is flat, but this is a bargain for someone willing to fix the shifters or for someone who needs some high end parts.

Answer Manitou Fork
Aerospoke Wheels
XTR Front and Rear Derailleurs
XTR Brakes
Ritchey Prolite Handlebars
Synchros Stem
Selle Italia Titanium Saddle
Titanium Skewers
Bontrager Slicks

This bike gets a lot of looks and compliments. Please contact me with any questions.
------------------------
I LIFTED THIS FROM CRAIGSLIST WHATEVER IT IS IT'S NOT A FAT CHANCE...UNLESS IT'S A SUPER DUPER RARE ONE-OFF PROTOTYPE...NAH I DON'T THINK SO ;)

Attachments

• NOT A FAT 1.jpg
    NOT A FAT 1.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 37
  • NOT A FAT 2.jpg
    NOT A FAT 2.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 29
  • NOT A FAT 3.jpg
    NOT A FAT 3.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 26
  • NOT A FAT 4.jpg
    NOT A FAT 4.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 36

fat-tony

Staff member
from the seller

FYI:

from the seller:

"I'm being told that its either an Alpinestars or Proflex frame. The guy that had it before me used to race it and he put the 'Team Fat Chance' decals on it."

I-ROBOT

Hello Gang

Don't worry. It's not a prototype or anything that would even somewhat resemble what we built except for the fact that it has two wheels mounted in a parallel plane.

We never made an elevated chain-stay bike. Chris hated them.

As for aluminum, I had two running jokes.

Know what "ALuminum" stands for? "ALmost a metal"

and

"It's against the law to say "aluminum" and "bolt" in the same sentence."

We did market one aluminum piece. It was a custom-drawn and tempered T-7075 handlebar that was made to Chris C's specs by True Temper. Of course, that is a non-weldable alloy.

Happy Spring
Scott "I-Robot" Bengtson

AB

As always - Scott thanks for your reply. The voice of first hand experience is always welcome. "ALmost a metal" - that's good.:D

Hello Gang

Don't worry. It's not a prototype or anything that would even somewhat resemble what we built except for the fact that it has two wheels mounted in a parallel plane.

We never made an elevated chain-stay bike. Chris hated them.

As for aluminum, I had two running jokes.

Know what "ALuminum" stands for? "ALmost a metal"

and

"It's against the law to say "aluminum" and "bolt" in the same sentence."

We did market one aluminum piece. It was a custom-drawn and tempered T-7075 handlebar that was made to Chris C's specs by True Temper. Of course, that is a non-weldable alloy.

Happy Spring
Scott "I-Robot" Bengtson