Prototype Shock a Billy

grd

Back in April of last year there was an advert on the bay for this frame along with some other Fat Chance parts. It turned out that Wendyll was having a tidy up and long story short, I ended up being successful.

I went over to the 30th anniversary party and collected the frame from Wendyll and Chris.

I haven't been in a rush to put the bike together and have spent the last few months collecting parts.
I wanted to build the bike in the spirit of the 95 catologue one as this is also a prototype, but i also intend to ride it.

The front triangle was just polished up as it was in pretty good shape, however the rear has been resprayed as it only ever had a thin coat of satin black on it and was quite tied.

The spec is:-

Xray srt800 grip shifters
M900 front and rear mechs
Paul cross top on the front
Suntour self energiser canti on rear
Paul love levers
Cooks Bros cranks
Avitar rings
Syncros post
Flite
Ringle stem
Xlite carbon bars
Chris King hubs with ceramic 517 rims
Smoke and Dart tyres

Finally got it all together this morning and as the sun's out, thought I would take a few shots of it.

DSC_0069.jpg

DSC_0070.jpg

DSC_0071.jpg

DSC_0072.jpg

DSC_0073.jpg

DSC_0074.jpg

DSC_0075.jpg

DSC_0076.jpg

grd

Pedals are now on it as it the shots were taken a week ago and due to me struggling to upload I only got that worked out this morning.

I have taken it for a quick spin and it rides really well, but am waiting for things to dry out a bit over here before I can give it a proper ride. We are just thawing out from another bout of snow which has really drenched the ground again, but don't worry, all of my Fats are ridden and are my main bikes during the summer months.

jpicard616

What exactly does "self energizing" (in reference to the suntour canti's) mean? I've looked at these brakes up close before, and didn't notice anything special about them, and I don't see much info on them online... ?

IF52

What exactly does "self energizing" (in reference to the suntour canti's) mean? I've looked at these brakes up close before, and didn't notice anything special about them, and I don't see much info on them online... ?

They had a helical cam in the pivot to force them more firmly into the rim. I never liked them that much, and IIRC they were finicky to set up.

Google Scott Pedersen. Here is a link to MTBR

http://forums.mtbr.com/vintage-retro-classic/pedersen-brakes-405594.html

Matt,

She's a beaut! I think I have some shots of you holding the frameset in Wendyll's living room if I can find them. I am really impressed with how well it's turned out!

Jon

grd

The zip ties are because there are no cable stops or guides for the rear mech on the triangle and when I picked the frame up, this is how the rear mech cable was attached, so it seemed right to follow suit.

Now that I have at last worked out how to attach photos, I will upload the ones I took at the 30th anniversary party, and also some of my other Fats in separate threads. If I manage to get really cleaver I also took some video of Chris at the party, but let's not run before I master walking.........

Looks stunning Matthew, bet you are pleased with how its turned out.

Its nice that 2 of the the prototype frames have ended up on here as well. I wonder where the other ones are now.