How much would you pay for perfect, brand new Yo Eddy frame?

SSjason232

Just curious as to how much one is desired. Suppose a shop still had one, say a ML 1 1/8 head tube, in perfect condition, never left the shop. How much would it be worth, or how much would you pay? just a curious probe into how much these bikes mean to their followers.

Doug Carter

Staff member
1.125" headtube means later Saratoga, NY assembly. To me, and I may be different from everyone else, these aren't nearly as desirable as earlier frames. I would be hard pressed to offer up more than half of its original sticker price, and even then, the color would be a key factor.

Now, speak of a minty Somerville frame, and I'd pay the original sticker price that I paid back in '94, which was somewhere in the area of $1000, without a fork.

d

rick

value of NOS YO?

I think that the later YO frame retailed for about $1100 or $1200.
(there was a posting earlier about pricing over the years)
When Fat City was shutting down they were selling them for about $750, which is how I bought my M/L YO in Chameleon Green Metallica.
Never built up, still hangs on the wall.

Just an FYI

scant

rick, would you sell that frame? I know of @ least two people who could be interested :)

I'm not as bothered over the sommerville/ saratoga thing. I have a 99 FAT ti & love it to bits :oops:

There is a demand for newer FATs, espically by people who want to fit newer more usuable forks. As ever each to their own :)

SSjason232

Why does everyone seem to hate (or not like as much is better wording) the Saratoga built bikes. I think they are better in my opinion. A one inch head tube is a huge disadvantage these days. Ever need a new stem? A fork? Headset? As far as I know, the frames are the same exact specs, maybe even a bit stonger/lighter than the older ones. I just dont get it I guess.

Doug Carter

Staff member
Well, honestly, I don't hate the newer Fat bikes, but I didn't ever ride or own those bikes, so as far as collectibility, they mean nothing to me. They aren't even today's steel and materials technology, so I'm not really interested in putting current tech parts on them. Any Fat that I will ever own will have a good share of period-correct jewelry on it.

No splined bottom brackets, no disc or V brakes, no 1.125" steerer tubes, no 3" of fork travel, no riser bars and 90mm stems... that stuff is for new bikes, not mine. I don't own Fat Chance bikes because of the ability to carry 3" of suspension-corrected geometry. It's a "retro" thing and not something I look at to compare to new bikes. I'd have kept my 4" travel 28-pound Turner XCE if that stuff meant a lot to me.

I also don't really care for the whole way the Serotta deal was done and put the people who put Fat on the map on the outside looking in. IF holds a lot of weight with me for what they did with that company after being let go en masse.

If I wanted new tech in a steel hardtail frame, I'd buy an IF in a heartbeat.

My era was '91 to '94. When FC sold to Serotta in '95, I was a very unhappy camper. It took a lot of the mystique out of the company and product for me, much the same way that VW has lost a lot of it's magic, now that every 19 year old girl drives a New Beetle or a Jetta. Not that I don't love my new 20th Anniversary GTI, but it just isn't the same magic.

Knowhatimean?

d

rick

YO frame

rick, would you sell that frame? I know of @ least two people who could be interested

Hey Scant,

To be truthful, I have never been very good at parting wih bikes. I bought this frame because I always loved the paint and it ws my last chance to buy a new one.
If someone really wanted it ($), or had an interesting trade, I would consider it. I have no plans to build it up anytime soon, still need to build up my own TiFat. So PM me if you want to talk more about it.

Regarding the Somerville vs. New York thing, I think both are great, just a bit different. I can understand some of the harsh feelings that were left behind in Mass., but I think that was probably just business. If that had not been done, Fat City would likely have gone under even sooner than they did (like lots of other small builders).

SSjason232

Doug, I didnt and dont mean to come across as critical of those who like only the older frames, I totally respect your opinion, I just wasnt sure why people had the same feelings you do. I guess for me its a little different. I started mountain biking when I was 12 or 13. This was in about 1993 to 1995 (cant remember the exact year). I used to hang out a local shop named CycleSmith. Eventually hanging out enough paid off, I learned everything there was to know about bikes, and got job there doing what I consider the best job I've ever had, and Im sure the best job I will ever have. When I started hanging out I saw the bikes that the real riders were riding, and they were all Fats. To me, during middle/early high school, a Fat was like a Ferrari to a 16 year old. Instead of having the F40 poster on my wall, I had the "set your hair on fire" Fat poster. I eventually bought my first Fat, an old used Buck Shaver. Eventally I saved, scrapped and worked my ass off to buy a brand new Yo Eddy. I met Chris and Wedyll at the shop, and rode with them a few times. So to me, the newer frames mean a lot more than the older ones. I guess Im just not old enough (22) to really know how great the early 90s bikes were. I built the one in this picture to perfection in my opinion, and to me, It was the most beautiful bike I have ever seen, even to this day. That bike rode SO much better than anything I've ever ridden, past or present, that I have a very strong bond to the newer bikes. I grew up with suspension and newer parts. When I build my new one, Its going to have a high end fork with moderate travel (80mm), but will have all new XTR parts. I did a very stupid thing in selling it when I started college, and have regretted it everyday since. Im finally back at the point where I can almost build another one. And you can bet I'm gonna spend the coin and have it repainted to match my old one. I guess my point in all of this (besides venting my frustration with myself) is to show that the new frames mean as much, if not more to some, as the old ones do to you and the rest who love that period of Fats. But thanks for filling me in on your opinion of why there is such a strong bond for the older frames. I hope my story will shed some light the love I (and others) have on the newer frames. Everyone has a story I guess.

SSjason232

Ive never posted a pic of this bike for a few reasons. 1. I dont want to admit that someone else owns it. 2. It hurts me deeply to see the pictures of it. 3. Im painting my new frame this color, and dont want anyone to rip the idea off (so dont please :) ) but here it is. The most beautiful Yo Eddy ever made, IMO. This is why I love the newer frames.

Yo%20Eddy%20Black%20and%20Yellow.jpg