Box Crown Fork in Boston

Stingercut

If only it was a Tange Prestige, it would be winging its way across the pond. 531 is best suited to a city fixie that spends its life fighting potholes.

I-ROBOT

I believe the 531 blades are heavier and, most likely they would all have a 2" rake (standard Fat Chance geometry). The Tange Prestige blade box crown most likely would all have the Wicked geometry of 1.75" rake so those would be more likely to respond better on singletrack. I believe by the time I started there (late 1986) Chris had already switched to Tange for the box crown blades with the rifled Columbus steerer tubes. The Wicked was just coming to life then too. I believe 1987 is the first official model year of the Wicked and the Team Comp was redesigned to that geometry. I have a box crown for my '87 Wicked that has the Tange and Columbus combination. Since it is not gusseted, I have retired it. Sorry, its not for sale.
Scott

stoebben

Box Crown Fork

Of course it found Mikey! Could you post some pics of it? The listing was gone before I had a chance to see it.

MikeyNYC

Of course it found Mikey! Could you post some pics of it? The listing was gone before I had a chance to see it.

Picture this fork, but without a brake, frame, wheels and all of that other stuff attached ;)

IMG_2512.jpg

MikeyNYC

Beautiful. Nice shape, too. Is there any way to date the 531 forks?

The only real differences that I can see are that the early ones were wider than the later ones.
Some also have a thicker box section at the top, maybe a Reynolds one is beefier than a Prestige? I've had all of them and there are definitely differences in size/width/thickness/weight... Maybe Scott Bengsten can shed some light on this?