What is this colourway called ?

Retrobikeguy

Kinda interested in doing my Yo in this colour, never seen another like it so it would be nice to have something different colourwise.

can anyone name the colour scheme :confused: green oneside / blue the other.

from the 1994 september mbuk

fat3-1.jpg

fat-tony

Staff member
Looks to me like a variation on the color "colour" scheme aqua fade except the fade is done from side to side. I don't know, maybe the blue color is a little darker. Hard to tell with computer photos.

Attachments

• aquamarine.jpg
    aquamarine.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 15

Plum

Harlequin

I've heard it called a Harlequin paint job before. I doubt it was one of their standard schemes, probably a custom order. I've seen other variations on it, but they don't pop up very often.

I've seen them on other manf. bikes too, namely IF.

Plum

settemarche

Retro,

i am agreeing with Harlequin. as in Harlequin Romance! it is not that common. but i have seen a couple come up on eBay. usually the color is a gunmetal on one side and that hiddy wild cherry on the other.

you should do it. it would be something special. i really can't think of any other bikes that have different paint on either side. a true original!

Sette

Retrobikeguy

cheers guys,

I also asked on the retrobike site and they came up with aqua harlequin, still not sure if the name is correct but I like the colour so after some penny saving its going in for the blue/green treatment.

sette , your right it'll be nice to have something special.

thanks again ;)

rick

paint job

the paint jobs with different colors side to side were indeed called harlequin. I believe that I have only seen them in black/silver although the other possibilities sound cool. To do it right you need different colored decals for each side as well. I have a Yo being repainted at this time in this scheme.

Didn't Klein similar things back in the day?

settemarche

cheers guys,

I also asked on the retrobike site and they came up with aqua harlequin, still not sure if the name is correct but I like the colour so after some penny saving its going in for the blue/green treatment.

sette , your right it'll be nice to have something special.

thanks again ;)

Retro,

how nice will that be to have an almost "one off"? you are going to be so stoked to get that frame back from the painters. pins and needles. i think some great poet wrote that waiting is the hardest part. oh, sorry - that was Tom Petty!

i am going to go out on a limb and speak for others on the board here. we are excited to see and hear about your project. please keep us in the loop. post pics of your build as you are working on it. the owners on this board are a very good source of info and input.

Ciao,

Sette

Bssc

Harlequin in aqua /blue it was an $500 standard option the other expensive standard option was WW1 sea mirage in black and white. The Harlequin was available in any color combo you wanted black/ white and aqua/ blue were the most popular. The paint used was Dupont RM to do these not a friendly paint to this type of work.

fat66

Harlequin paint??

I have a mid 90's Fat that was painted in what I was told was the Harlequin paint scheme, each tube is a different color, including the matching sweet box crown forks,,,,,,,maybe 12 different colors!! This bike was built with Columbus Genius tubing, 1 of only 2 built. I bought it from the guy who welded them up for FC,,,,,,,,it's built up with a mix of CAMPY AND MAVIC, very very cool,,,,,,,,it's up on the auction block this Spring, along with 1 few other Fats, a Ritchey Ultra, Bridgestone XO, Brave Warrior, and a few other cool collectible bikes........so what is a Harlequin paint scheme?
thnx
mg:D

billyb

yep Harlequin. My buddy has a YO that is black one side silver the other. He even took it to as far as Doing all his components that way too!! Must be nice to work in a bike shop!

Bssc

I have a mid 90's Fat that was painted in what I was told was the Harlequin paint scheme, each tube is a different color, including the matching sweet box crown forks,,,,,,,maybe 12 different colors!! This bike was built with Columbus Genius tubing, 1 of only 2 built. I bought it from the guy who welded them up for FC,,,,,,,,it's built up with a mix of CAMPY AND MAVIC, very very cool,,,,,,,,it's up on the auction block this Spring, along with 1 few other Fats, a Ritchey Ultra, Bridgestone XO, Brave Warrior, and a few other cool collectible bikes........so what is a Harlequin paint scheme?
thnx
mg:D

12 color was spumoni Campy& Mavic mix it might have been the AC or Philly show bike one year can't remember which though they tend to all form into one. If you ever hung out at the shows and were on the inside time were wild to be mild. :skull:

fat66

harlequin paint??

I'll try and post some photos of my "spumoni" fat in the next few weeks....can't remember if it was a show bike, I was at Anaheim but not to the Philly Interbike

dodster

I have one!

Saw this and had to have one! Bought a medium frame brand new in the 90's from Bromley Bike Co (Evolution Imports) for £950
Built it with Rock Shox Judy's, Ringle, Mavics, XT V's/mechs, Middleburn cranks etc.
Dont know whether to sell it on now, or keep it and restore the shox?

Opinions please :confused:

Kinda interested in doing my Yo in this colour, never seen another like it so it would be nice to have something different colourwise.

can anyone name the colour scheme :confused: green oneside / blue the other.

from the 1994 september mbuk

fat3-1.jpg

theredchili

Dave Hemmings at his coolest- think this bike in the UK made Fat a desirable brand

Not to mention, made me want a Fat even more ! :cool:

dodster

resto

Dave Hemmings at his coolest- think this bike in the UK made Fat a desirable brand

Not to mention, made me want a Fat even more ! :cool:

Seen frame stickers but none like on this model, are they available anywhere?

And the coil spring up grade for the 1" steerer Judy's? Need them too.....HELP!!!!!