another Shock-a-Billy project

Spikes

So I bought this late model NY built SaB and I am looking for parts. The hardest to decide on is the rear shock and the fork. Is any 165mm rear shock compatible? What is a nice and affordable one to pick? What fork should I get? It needs to have V-brake studs obviously but there are not many nice one around. Maybe a combination of Fox and rear would appeal to me. Anyway: pics soon but in the meantime: please get me some advice.

:)

chainline

For the rear shock measure the eye-eye length and then the stroke length. if you can find a current model shock that fits those same dimension it should work fine. The front fork should be an easy find. I have seen a few fox forks come around in great condition so they are out there. happy hunting

Spikes

Thanks: I'll try. The from fork is sorted: a Magura MD80SL, the same as on my Yo! A great lightweight fork: very stiff too.

Spikes

The fork is sorted, but the rear shock not quite yet. It appears to be a 150mm eye-to-eye. I didn't even know this existed. Any shocks available in that odd size?

chainline

The fork is sorted, but the rear shock not quite yet. It appears to be a 150mm eye-to-eye. I didn't even know this existed. Any shocks available in that odd size?

and the stroke length ?dt swis has an xr carbon with a 152mm e-e 31mm of travel..

Last edited:

Spikes

I'd need to measure, but am not quite sure how to. I am a bit new to full sussers you know.... Is the stroke length the same as the length of the piston? That DT sound good though...

chainline

I'd need to measure, but am not quite sure how to. I am a bit new to full sussers you know.... Is the stroke length the same as the length of the piston? That DT sound good though...

A no fuss way is to measure from the dust seal wiper to the end of the piston that the wiper seal slides on. and that will give you the stroke length. it should get you in the ballpark..
and that DT is pricy !