1988 Wicked resto-mod

scoutbag

Came out nice, but too small for me. Its for sale and I'm looking for a 19.5" wicked....I'll post more details in a few days, but I'll let you bike nerds pick apart the build for fun first......
David

Attachments

• IMG_20201020_114736023.jpg
    IMG_20201020_114736023.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20201020_114823677.jpg
    IMG_20201020_114823677.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 40

colker

what´s going on w/ the seat collar?

It could use a longer stem if it feels small. A 130 stem rides nicely on this bike.

scoutbag

collar

Good catch, that was supposed to be temporary, it came on the frame. I do have a more correct nutted bmx collar.
Re: stem, I had it set up for me with a longer syncros stem, still too small for me, just a little bit but enough.

I probably have enough vintage parts for that bike, but for some unknown reason I am hording them. I must have the worlds largest syncros stem inventory I think I have 8-10 in different sizes both traditional and ahead set style.

When I knew I couldn't keep it, I went in my bin of NOS take off parts. The bar is from my 2013 specialized epic comp, the stem is from my niner gravel bike, the seat I don't remember but its a new take off (nice seat btw).....I had an old xt drivetrain, but frankly the (brand new) low end shimano stuff works better than that beat up stuff. New chain, 8sp xtr cassette, rings are newer....ritchey headset and fc bb are fine....I didn't have any xt brakes, I should have put on the avid brakes I found in a bin (trek 8700 carbon from '90), I did use the levers and a pair of old xt thumbshifters.

Oh, the rear wheel is a campy (???) mtb wheel that takes a shimano cassette....I can't remember for the life of me where i got it & I"ve got to search the barn for the matching front... I have 8-10 MTB wheelsets out there from back in the day.....

I can't believe the junk (good stuff) I"ve saved in over four decades of riding....
thanks for the feedback
David

colker

I like the mismatched headset cups; i did the same on mine using 2 diff. headsets and it´s still working ok.

scoutbag

Mr Colker your eye is immaculate!

The headset came on the frame, I was going to replace it with one of the 4/5 king headsets I have saved but it worked fine so I just moved on.....I didn't notice it was mis-matched....I'll go take a look again.....great eye!!!

The fork came from bikeman, where I bought my litespeed ti mtb in 1989 (still have it with a bomber no less).....I thought it fit the build pretty nice...when I realized I wasn't going to do a full restoration, I thought the ahead set style forks were just more stable than a threaded stem
David