Fat City Cycles Frame Registry

MikeyNYC

rbrsddn said:
Thank's! It definitely is a keeper. I wonder how many Ti Fats were made?

I was told that my Titanium Fat was made in December of 2000 as part of the final run of frames at the Serotta facility to "use up the materials" and the serial # is: TF ML 1176 and I know that I've seen one on ebay recently (in the past 6 mos.) that was about TF 1180, so assuming that they were consistent with the serial #s from the beginning (1992-3?) would that mean that they made about 1180 of them? That # seems high to me...Does anyone know for sure?

Michael-NYC

mcgurme

'92 Yo Eddy

Hi,
I was looking around on the 'net last night for a set of Big One forks to begin restoring my :skull: Yo back to it's former glory, and discovered this group. Hurray. This one is the third Fat I owned, the first was a '87 Fat, the second a '91 Wicked. The first had an issue and was warranted, the second I sold to a friend, then bought the '92 YO Eddy. Great bikes! This one has been used as a commuter bike for the past few years, with a Currie Electrodrive assist. I now got a second wheel so I can take all the heavy electric stuff off and just enjoy the bike au naturel. It has a bizarre mix of components, mostly good stuff like Hugi hubs and Mavic wheels, XT derailurs, Avid v-brakes, Cook bros. cranks and bottom bracket, but it's also got some cheapo stuff like a Delta stem riser (since the frame is a bit too short for me). Next step for the bike is new decals and maybe down the road some of the forks... enough rambling, here's the specs:

Frame type (Yo!, Wicked, etc.): Yo Eddy
Frame number: 91Y2ML
Year of manufacture: 1991
Frame size: M/L
Color (original and repainted, if applicable): Original candy apple red/yellow decals. Repainted to Green/purple metallic. Repainted again to purple with pink polkas by Rody at Groovy CW. Also replaced seat tube due to rusting. Bike is like new again!
Location (city, state, country): Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Owner name: Morgan G
Photo, if possible:

Attachments

• Yo_Eddy.JPG
    Yo_Eddy.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:

mike wood

Frame Number

I've just joined the site guys - as i've recently become the proud owner of a "Wicked" ..... the frame number is 153W19 ...... but i have no idea of date of manufacture or place of manufacture - it's maroon in colour with original decals ..... is there anywhere i can find out the history ?

Mike in sunny ? Scotland

Mark_h4dng

Hi guys

Hi guys , FANTASTIC SITE!!, been redirected from Retro bike.com, so here's my ride,
been enjoying all the pics

Attachments

• Img_1296.jpg
    Img_1296.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 132
  • Img_1315.jpg
    Img_1315.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 50

Slice

I've been registered at First Flight for a couple of years, but just recently found Fat Cogs. Lot's of cool FAT here!

Frame type: yo Yo YO!
Frame number: 710Y3ML
Year of manufacture: 1993
Frame size: medium/large
Color: Kandy Wild Cherry (still in great condition)
Owner name: Slice
Photo, if possible: (pending - see Mark's above in meantime - very similar)

BUILD
frame: 1" head tube (Dag Nabbit!) w/bottom-pull FD pulley & anti-chain suck posts
fork: Manitou III (completely shot)
group: XT-8 w/triggers & cantis
pedals: M747
hubs: White Industries
spokes: double butted (probably DT, don't recall specifics), silver
nipples: alloy, silver
rims: Campagnolo Mirox, silver
tires: WTB Velociraptors, 2.1
skewers: (don't recall brand - no lever, just allen fitting), silver
saddle: SDG
stem: Syncros Cattle Prod, silver
bar: Ritchey Force Lite, silver
grips: Yeti
ends: Answer Hyper Ends, silver

I'm the original owner. Last year I got back into road riding, and now I'm getting the itch to flog my Yo again! ;)

zsazsu

1991 Monster Fat
Size: Medium
Serial number - 332M1M
one owner
original color: It was the pink color with lime green decals. As of '02 it has been yellow.
Purchased: Mountain Bikes Unlimited in Truckee CA. summer of '91. The fork is a WaltWorks fork put on in '06. It still sees regular action and performs as you would expect (like no other).

Attachments

• phone 003.jpg
    phone 003.jpg
    417 KB · Views: 56
  • Jonathan Drive 010.jpg
    Jonathan Drive 010.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 547
  • phone 002.jpg
    phone 002.jpg
    400.8 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

lucifer

Frame type (Yo!, Wicked, etc.): Buck Shaver
Frame number: 005B3XS
Year of manufacture:1993
Frame size:XS
Color (original and repainted, if applicable):Leslies Purple, will be repainted a different color, probably white.
Location (city, state, country): Watkinsville, GA, USA
Owner name: Eli

Frame type (Yo!, Wicked, etc.): Buck Shaver
Frame number: 163B4M
Year of manufacture:1994
Frame size:M
Color (original and repainted, if applicable):Sapphire Blue
Location (city, state, country): Watkinsville, GA, USA
Owner name: Eli

I realized I had never registered my bucks so here they are. The blue medium was bought new old stock off of ebay in January of 2005 and built up first as a 1 x 7 and then as a singlespeed.

The xs is a recent ebay purchase that was a bit of a gamble as I described in another post. It was a nightmare as delivered. I am persistent though so I am sure it will end up nice after a thorough going over.

Attachments

• Rearview.jpg
    Rearview.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 30
  • XS.jpg
    XS.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 68
  • Med.jpg
    Med.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 82

fatboy

No Serial Number

My beloved Yo purchased in the winter of '93 does not appear to have a serial number. In addition, the stickers were very easy to take off. Which I did not long after the first real scratch. I recall the frame size as a medium large. I spoke with Chris a couple times weighing the option of a custom Fat City but opted for the stock Yo. He and Wendell talked me into the Cosmic Dust Fade and I was pleasantly surprised with the choice.

Since my original purchase I had two other Yo's that I eventually sold. I do recall both having serial numbers since I published the numbers with the description when selling. But I never considered selling my first Yo and never looked for a serial number until recently.

Is this common for Yo's to lack serial numbers? Can anyone help me solve this problem and clear up my confusion? I will like to purchase a repro stick set from this site but have no serial number to record in the owners section.

-Dave

viador

Mexican Yo-Eddy! information for registry form

Thanks very much for the effort. Heiman

Frame type (Yo!, Wicked, etc.):Yo! eddy
Frame number: 184y19
Year of manufacture:1992?
Frame size: large
Color (original and repainted, if applicable):eek:riginal hot pink, team colors, matte grey, wild tangerine
Location (city, state, country): Puerto Vallarta, Jal. Mexico
Owner name: Heiman Russek
Photo, if possible: coming soon

I know we couldn't get everything made out there, but it would be nice to begin the effort to track where these beautiful frames are. I'll begin with my newly acquired Wicked...[/quote]

jo eddy

'92 ?

Thanks very much for the effort. Heiman

Frame type (Yo!, Wicked, etc.):Yo! eddy
Frame number: 184y19
Year of manufacture:1992?
Frame size: large
Color (original and repainted, if applicable):eek:riginal hot pink, team colors, matte grey, wild tangerine
Location (city, state, country): Puerto Vallarta, Jal. Mexico
Owner name: Heiman Russek
Photo, if possible: coming soon

I know we couldn't get everything made out there, but it would be nice to begin the effort to track where these beautiful frames are. I'll begin with my newly acquired Wicked...
[/QUOTE]

Your frame was built in '91 !!!!

elephant

Frame type (Yo!, Wicked, etc.): Yo Eddy
Frame number:
??
Year of manufacture: 1990 I think
Frame size: L
Color (original and repainted, if applicable):
Original: Fluorescent Yellow with metallic blue fade; Repainted: Fluorescent Yellow with metallic blue fade
Location (city, state, country): Pennsylvania, USA
Owner name: elephant
Photo, if possible: Camera Phone!

These pics are from August 2006 or so. I bought a frame and fork back in 1990 directly from Fat when I worked in a bike shop. The bike was raced regularly for about two years and then sat for a while. I gave it to a co-worker about 8 years ago and I bought it back from him in the summer of 2006.

I have been gathering parts and rebuilding it since I got it back. The BB shell was replaced in November 2006 with a 68mm so now it accepts a standard BB. It also had some rust that was cleaned up and some chain suck that had a few spots that needed some silver put in them. I just ordered a WaltWorks fork to replace the long lost original rigid fork. The frame is currently waiting for the fork to show up to get new paint and decals. Should be done in March or April. I am trying to find the the old BB shell and check for a SN.

If you are interested in more info on the builder who installed the BB shell and touched up the frame or who shop that is doing the paint and decals you can PM me.

Attachments

• yo_eddy (2).jpg
    yo_eddy (2).jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 21
  • yo_eddy (4).jpg
    yo_eddy (4).jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 31
  • yo_eddy (6).jpg
    yo_eddy (6).jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 52
  • yo_eddy.jpg
    yo_eddy.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 50

zsazsu

Nice bike... I just got a WaltWorks fork myself (on the Yellow Monster above). Functionally the fork is cool, but I was not impressed by the paint job at all. He claims he was in between painters.

elephant

Nice bike... I just got a WaltWorks fork myself (on the Yellow Monster above). Functionally the fork is cool, but I was not impressed by the paint job at all. He claims he was in between painters.

My frame and fork are not being painted by Walt. That is good news about fork. Walt seems to be a good person and has a good reputation as a builder. I will look more closely at your pics to see what my fork will look like.

henk19

Frames

FRAME TYPE: yo eddy
FRAME #: 086y4m
YEAR: 1994
SIZE: medium
COLOR (ORIGINIAL): grey

FRAME #: 888y1m
YEAR: 1991
COLOR (ORIGINAL): Green, I thought it was original but according to another forum this is not a stock 91 color. so re-painted at some point

FATLANTA
FRAME #: yom1185
YEAR: 1996
COLOR(ORIGINAL): FATLANTA CUSTOM

I will try to post pictures, but for some reason have not had luck in doing so in the past.

Also does anyone know for sure if my 1994 yo eddy would need a suspension corrected fork or non suspension corrected? and 1 inch?
Thanks

Last edited:

paul m

Frame ..monster
Number ..003m2m
Year ..between 91-93
Size..medium
Colour.. Was Purple Now Yellow
Location..staffordshire England
Name..paul Molesworth
Email ..monsterfatuk@aol.co.uk

Upchuck

1989 Fat Chance

FRAME TYPE: Fat Chance
FRAME #: 04149F
YEAR: 1989 NOS w/ hangtag still attached
SIZE: 16.5"
COLOR (ORIGINIAL): grey w/ yellow lettering

Yo Eddy!

Frame type: Yo Eddy!
Frame number: 288Y07
Year of manufacture: 1989
Frame size: Medium
Color: Black (Original)
Owner name: Morgan

I have one of a matched set of fairly early Yo Eddies. The shop I co-founded, All Weather Sports in Fairbanks Alaska, was a big Fat City shop. When the Yo's were announced, Simon and I signed right up. But there are two things on ours I haven't seen on others:

1. On the segmented fork, I have campy drop-outs
2. per request, we have standard cable routing, not the 'guitar string' look. Fairbanks has dry summers, and winter riding doesn't gum the cables either, as the snow is very dry.

Both are black with the pink Yo! Eddy sticker set. In fact, it was looking for replacement stickers that led me to this site!

I'm riding it with a mix of old and new: new (er) XT with 8 spd gripshift, old diacompe 986 with full Ti kit, a threadless Mag 21 with Ti crown and a chris king headset for those times when I want to switch back to the orginal fork.

One of the best things about the Fats were the took extra-wide rims with ease. Back in the 80's, my biz partner Simon built special rims for a race called the iditabike - by hand welding two bontrager box profile rims together. This gave great snow floatation with a 44mm wide rim bed.

At first, we were concerned that they wouldnt' work in very many frames. However, the Fats took these rims without a hiccup, and a product was born. The hand welded rims gave way to the "Snow Cat" rim, which we still manufacture to this day. But I'm pretty sure the first testing of these oversized rims was actually on a Fat City.

Hi Morgan,

A friend uses a pair of your rims. They are laced up to WTB GG hubs and I am told it is the only pair like this in Holland. Nice wheels!

They are not on a FAT :redface: