some history anybody?

almost_fat

Whatever became of Fat City Cycles? I know that they were sold to serotta in the 90's, but what happened next? Did Serotta ever produce any of the Fat Chance bikes? Or did Fat City still produce them under Serotta for a bit? I see that Serotta is still around but what about Fat? Anyone have the downlow on the Fat City chronology, I woud love to hear about it.

-Bob

scant

search the forum, pretty certain this has been covered before. I have about 13emails worth of FAT history from wendyl. The condensed version.. theres no 1 real reason why FAT closed shop in 2000, many small reasons totalling up over the years. FAT moved in with serrotta in 94. they bought themselves back out a few years later. I believe the all steel shockabilly & the FAT big 1 inch forks were still made in house.

Serrotta no longer produce MTB frames, only road.

when I see 2 downtube decals selling for $120 on ebay,& T shirts for the same price, you know that FATs are still very much loved, sorely missed, cult bikes...

almost_fat

I must be blind but I cannot find any threads that talk about the historical life of Fat City Cycles. It seems that most of the forum is gone or never was. Is there an archive here somewhere?

Please help the blind.

-Bob

Yo Eddy!

Hi Bob,

Usually FatCogs is in the 'show threads of last month' mode, but you can select the 'show all threads' mode. Bottom of the mainpage.

For some history on FAT:
Check out the First Flight timeline: http://www.firstflightbikes.com/fat.htm
Furthermore you could read the articles in the Fat Chance mag scan topic.

Somewere on this forum has been said that Chris lives over the Canadian border and is now working as designer of outdoor equipment and it is also said he acts as chyropractor. As far as I know it is still a mistery.

As Scant already mentioned FAT closed shop in 2000. When Chris left Sommerville to cooperate with Serotta, the FAT personel teamed up and formed Independent Fabrication. IF is still in business.

rick

Chris Chance

Dirt Rag had an interview/profile with Chris in their special 100th issue (last year?).

I don't recall all of the details without checking the mag at home, but I believe that he was living in Vermont and doing design work and some type of massage.

rick

scant

chris knows about fatcogs.com b.t.w & is apparently more than pleased with the sustained level of interest in FAT & its army of dedicated cogs :D

rick, could you scan up details of that interview? Would love to see it :)

scant

its pretty obvious to see how much you love your Yo eddy, YO :)

cool to finally get exactly what you want after lusting for so long :D