What size is a medium?

Vagante

I have an 1986 FC.......and am looking for another FC to ride the streets...... On mine I measure 18" from middle of crank to top of seat post. I am 5' 7"

Is mine a medium?

Doug Carter

Staff member
Generally the M size in old Fats is a 17" frame, measured center of BB to center of top tube through the seatpost. The M/L was an 18" frame and the L was a 19" frame.

Measuring to the top of the seat tube doesn't give you much in the way of sizing info. At 5' 7" though, I would think you are more likely comfortable on a 16" frame.

laffeaux

The sizes vary from 80s to 90s frames.

In the 80s, top tubes were horizontal. In the 90s the sloped downward. Measurements are still done center-to-center on both, but an 18" frame from 1995 is much larger than an 18" frame from 1985. Look at the top tube lengths to better compare the frame sizes.

For example, I'm 6'1" and ride a 21" Fat frame from the 80s. For the 90s sizing a M/L fits me. A M/L is probably an 18 inch frame?

colker

A medium Yo would be equivalent to a 19in in terms of top tube length. A M yo has a 23in top tube. A 19in wicked has a 22.75 top tube. Both effective top tubes. A Yo is meant to be ridden w/ more seatpost showing than a wicked.